2019 Wrestling Nationals

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Mackall's draw is fine. He can win first round and if he doesn't he will have a winnable backside match.

Gomez draw is as good as any, 133 is just so dang tough. If he can get by his 2nd rd matchup with Phillipi the #4 seed, I think he matches up well with Pletcher(#5 seed) which would not be that intimidating of a qf matchup for how loaded 33 is. Pletcher would have to beat bridges, and I think I would actually prefer a match with Pletcher vs one with Bridges.

I really don't like Ian Parkers draw with Red first rd. Red is a top end talent. But he also gasses sometimes, and Parker has a motor. Still, Yianni waiting 2nd rd is not ideal.

I like Degen's path to AA, and I'm curious to see how a matchup with #1 Ashnault would go. Degen is just so funky if Ashnault doesn't scout him well, he could present some problems. But he'll have to get by #9 Oliver first.

Straw got about as good of a draw as you could hope for from a guy that needed to steal a spot to make it in.

Coleman's draw is fine, don't know if he has a history with Finesilver. Marcus has been pretty up and down, I could see him going 2-2 or 0-2.

I actually really like Colbray's draw. First rd is tough with Hemauer who he barely beat in the dual with Fresno St, but Sammy's been wrestling a lot better since then. 2nd rd is a very injured 7 seed (Reenan) or Dakota Geer, I think a winnable match either way. Next would be Shakur Rasheed (2 seed), who beat Colbray at Southern scuffle via pinfall, but is also supposedly injured.

Willie's draw is fine, would've preferred to have Brucki at the 3 spot than Weigel, but he should still have a good path to AA.

Gremmel's draw is fine, he has beaten Hillger before.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Not being as well versed as some but wanting to learn, why is that such a crappy draw for Ian?
Everything Stu said is correct. Stylistically, Red is a bad matchup.

I thought I’d add that Red is also much better than where he is seeded. He is a former all American and wrestling really well right now as evidenced by placing second at big 10s. He has a lower seed due to a poor start to the season, but appears to be rounding into the form of his previous AA run.

Last edited:

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
It feels like the conference tournaments aren't pulling much weight in the seeding.

Looking at 141 again, Carr got the 6 seed even though he tanked at Big 10s. He lost to Moran (11 seed), Murin (22 seed), and Red (16 seed) all last weekend. Seems like the other 3 should be seeded a bit higher and Carr bumped down a fair amount.

I'm feeling sour about that Parker/Red matchup too. Agree Red should be higher than he is after coming in second at Big 10s.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
While I agree that conference tournaments should mean more then you just compound the issue of the regular season not mattering. If you look at the final coaches panel Mimic and Rasheed are both ranked #2. The coaches did not punish them even the tiniest bit for ducking. The place for late season results to impact seeding is the coaches panel, but they aren't doing that.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
For Ian, win or lose first round, the path I see he either has to go through...
Loses, Kaid Brock, Moore of VT and Alber
Wins, Lantry, Demas, Murin

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
How hard would this be to implement?

Get Pac 12 to Big 12, So Conf to ACC. Big qualifiers. Then RPI each weight class in each qualifier, so Big 10 champ would probably rate higher than an ACC champs, if warranted. Then put a conference placement in the seeding criteria. Would that be hard to do?

JohnPrineforCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2019
While I agree that conference tournaments should mean more then you just compound the issue of the regular season not mattering. If you look at the final coaches panel Mimic and Rasheed are both ranked #2. The coaches did not punish them even the tiniest bit for ducking. The place for late season results to impact seeding is the coaches panel, but they aren't doing that.
Does this mean we will see more Medical Forfeits in the conference tournament? If I had a no.1 seeded guy that was a little banged up I would 100% percent get him qualified then end his tournament. I think its terrible for the sport but if its not showing any merit towards NCAA seeding then I understand why they do it.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Does this mean we will see more Medical Forfeits in the conference tournament? If I had a no.1 seeded guy that was a little banged up I would 100% percent get him qualified then end his tournament. I think its terrible for the sport but if its not showing any merit towards NCAA seeding then I understand why they do it.

I feel the same way, coaches and athletes are min/maxing to achieve the best possible NCAA seed. I don't like it, but I understand why they do it. The problem is it's gotten to the point where it isn't just guys doing it because they're a little banged up, they're just straight up ducking. I'm all on board with the idea that MFFs at conference tournaments should be considered losses for the purpose of head to head, RPI, common opponents, etc... That wouldn't fix everything but it is an easy change to implement and would go a long way towards making things better.

• Agree
Reactions: csteve

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The Iowa HS tourney went to seeding this year. There were a couple district finals where there were MFFs by the guy who had the higher seed wrapped up.

• Informative
Reactions: VirginSturgeon

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
A potential matchup I am interested in, but not sure I want to see happen is Parker vs Storr.

Very good buddies that came to Iowa State together from Michigan to wrestle back to back on the team. They could very easily meet up at the NCAA's

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Out of curiousity. If we wrestled to rank or seed, assuming normal bonus points, how many points would we score?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Not sure, but I think the year Earl Hall got 8th, he only got 5 team points. I don't know if he had any bonus point wins

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Bold prediction: one of Sammy or Gomez will make the semis. I think Willie has an outside chance, but like the draws of Colbray or Gomez if they can get hot.

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Out of curiousity. If we wrestled to rank or seed, assuming normal bonus points, how many points would we score?

If we wrestle to seed
125: 1-2, 0.5 team points
133: 2-2, 1.5 team points
141: 1-2, 0.5 team points
149: 3-3, 5.5 team points
157: 1-2, 0.5 team points
174: 1-2, 0.5 team points
184: 3-2, 2 team points
197: 4-3, 9 team points
HWT: 0-2, 0 team points

20 team points, plus any bonus we might get.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
If you use coaches ranking instead of seeds the only difference is that Degen then loses the 8-9 match to Oliver (Oliver is ranked 8th, Degen 9th) and ends up losing in the R12 to #4 O'Conner. That gives us 16.5 team points.

125: 1-2, 0.5 team points
133: 2-2, 1.5 team points
141: 1-2, 0.5 team points
149: 3-2, 2 team points
157: 1-2, 0.5 team points
174: 1-2, 0.5 team points
184: 3-2, 2 team points
197: 4-3, 9 team points
HWT: 0-2, 0 team points