ESPN's Joe Lunardi: ISU's seed line for NCAAs unlikely to change much

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
That's great and all but Lunardi is wrong. The last 3 times Iowa State won the Big 12 tournament they improved their seed...

With our net ranking and recent eye test disparity I think the B12 tournament means more to us than any other team in the league.

Win 3 and the net ranking is even higher (probably 11-18 range) and seems legit. Lose in round one and the net ranking looks like even more of a farce. 1 or 2 wins and the 20ish net ranking seems more legit.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
That's great and all but Lunardi is wrong. The last 3 times Iowa State won the Big 12 tournament they improved their seed...
It really all depends who we face. With Wade out and maybe Stokes, KSU could easily lose to TCU. Then if say KU makes it into the final over Tech, our NET rankings of our opponents would be 37, 47, 20. I doubt that moves us more than 1 seed. Pretty sure that all we moved the previous years as well. 6 seed is probably the best we can do imo.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: CyBobby and CySmurf

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
3458602.jpg

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
“I don’t think Iowa State’s gonna move a ton,” Lunardi said. “Short of winning every game, and even that, I don’t think it would do them more than a line or two at the most.”

That would pretty significant to me. 5 or 6 vs a 7 is a huge deal. As a 7 you play the 10, 10's are often p5 schools or a quality mid major-ish (AAC, MW,A 10) type of team, not to mention Duke/UNC/Tennessee,Kentucky could be on the 2 line waiting in the 2nd round.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It really all depends who we face. With Wade out and maybe Stokes, KSU could easily lose to TCU. Then if say KU makes it into the final over Tech, our NET rankings of our opponents would be 37, 47, 20. I doubt that moves us more than 1 seed. Pretty sure that all we moved the previous years as well. 6 seed is probably the best we can do imo.

I know we're 0-4 against Baylor and TCU but three of those losses we looked like the vastly more talented team that simply didn't care if we tracked down a loose ball in a close game.

TCU @HILTON we got curb stomped but the other 3 were coin flips with ISU giving a really laughable effort.

I love our B12T path to be honest, even when KSU was more healthy we played them close and killed them.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
“I don’t think Iowa State’s gonna move a ton,” Lunardi said. “Short of winning every game, and even that, I don’t think it would do them more than a line or two at the most.”

That would pretty significant to me. 5 or 6 vs a 7 is a huge deal. As a 7 you play the 10, 10's are often p5 schools or a quality mid major-ish (AAC, MW,A 10) type of team, not to mention Duke/UNC/Tennessee,Kentucky could be on the 2 line waiting in the 2nd round.
No doubt. Moving a single seed is huge when you’re in that 7 range. ****, I’d wish we could have watched that Royce team play a 2 seed in the second round (or just anyone other than that UK team).

The Rob Gray

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2016
He did say that only winning the Big 12 Tournament would have an impact on ISU's seeding (in his eyes). I have a hard time believing winning against both Baylor and K-State (potentially) couldn't push them up a line, though ... . Bottom line, it's all (informed) speculation — and I know a lot of people have problems with various bracketologists.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
According to bracketmatrix

2 seeds
Duke
Michigan State
Tennessee
Michigan

10 seeds
Utah State
Seton Hall
Minnesota
St Johns

=====

3 seeds
LSU
Texas Tech
Houston
Purdue

11 seeds
TCU
NC State
Florida
Arizona State

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I think the B12 tournament means more to us than any other team in the league.

Disagree. The B12 Tournament will mean a seat is won or lost for TCU and Texas. OU should be in given their OOC success but a win wouldn't hurt them either. St. Mary's took a bid away last night beating Gonzaga. And the B10 may have some upsets putting Indiana, Minnesota, tOSU, and even Illinois in the 'seed taken away' discussion. CBS will want those eyeballs.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cydkar

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
According to bracketmatrix

2 seeds
Duke
Michigan State
Tennessee
Michigan

10 seeds
Utah State
Seton Hall
Minnesota
St Johns

=====

3 seeds
LSU
Texas Tech
Houston
Purdue

11 seeds
TCU
NC State
Florida
Arizona State

Holy crap we want a 6 seed!! I'd much rather face LSU (Who's coaching), Houston and Purdue than Duke, Michigan State, Tennessee, or Michigan..

PLEASE WIN tomorrow!!!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Disagree. The B12 Tournament will mean a seat is won or lost for TCU and Texas. OU should be in given their OOC success but a win wouldn't hurt them either. St. Mary's took a bid away last night beating Gonzaga. And the B10 may have some upsets putting Indiana, Minnesota, tOSU, and even Illinois in the 'seed taken away' discussion. CBS will want those eyeballs.

I guess in or out yeah but I don’t think either could improve their seed position drastically.

Big 12 T champ ISU with #14 or #12 Net is a much higher seed than hot mess losing streak ISU with an outlier net.

Using KenPom like metrics to rank resumes is idiotic and ISU happens to be the example this year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Repeating but I want Lunardi's or Mel Kiper's job.

Just speculate and spew out a bunch of crap and if you're wrong you still have a job.

• Winner
Reactions: surly

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
No doubt. Moving a single seed is huge when you’re in that 7 range. ****, I’d wish we could have watched that Royce team play a 2 seed in the second round (or just anyone other than that UK team).

Maybe they shouldn’t have blown a lead to Texas and lost to uni.

I mean if your standards are the same, the mind numbing losses to teams they were better than should have dialed up your basketball brilliance

• Funny
Reactions: FinalFourCy