Survivor: Edge of Extinction

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Looks cool. I think they started getting too heavy handed with the David v. Goliath theme, tried examining all aspects of the game and every step anyone made through the D v. G viewfinder. I get having a theme to the season, but don't beat us over the head with it. This concept looks similar to others in the past where eliminated players could fight their way back in, but still interesting. We'll see.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
About due for another All Stars season, guessing maybe saving that for season 40. I think it would be fun to do a season of just all past winners or all just past runner ups but may be hard to find 18 willing to do it considering the show is nearing 20 years running who knows just how many of the early season people would be willing or possibly even able to play anymore to get enough to make a cast on that criteria alone. Plus 3 times on the show is about my limit, if you can't win it in 2 or 3 shots at it eventually people are going to grow old of the same people failing again. I wasn't too excited about seeing Joe on this upcoming season which is his 3rd time playing, he's not someone I really liked much in the past either.

• Agree
Reactions: DurangoCy

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
I've never been a huge fan of mixing past contestants with new contestants. Like anything, experience is going to help them compared to somebody playing for the first time. Even if they are superfans, I'd imagine the experience is COMPLETELY different than you anticipate.

I prefer more of an even playing field, but might be in the minority on that. Some must like the familiar face/personality and it does add a different dynamic to the strategies for players.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone06

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Also, on the theme, I like it as "the hardest they've ever had to work for anything" as noted in the promo. I'd hope it isn't a free pass back into the game after many others have gotten the clichéd "blood on their hands" and had to make tough alliance/relationship decisions.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I've never been a huge fan of mixing past contestants with new contestants. Like anything, experience is going to help them compared to somebody playing for the first time. Even if they are superfans, I'd imagine the experience is COMPLETELY different than you anticipate.

I prefer more of an even playing field, but might be in the minority on that. Some must like the familiar face/personality and it does add a different dynamic to the strategies for players.

I also find the shows with all new contestants more interesting. I don't want rerun shows and I don't want rerun contestants. And yes, maybe we are in the minority.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Joe just can't help himself. He basically won the challenge by himself last night. Pretty decent start to the season.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Just watched on DVR a bit ago. The extinction island twist is the most intriquing thing to me so far. It's a mystery how that will play out for now but I figured the 1st person voted out would surely choose it.

The returning players I've always felt you have to vote out before the merge. They have some value right now because they are strong players you need at challenges and you can get some pointers from them on how to play the game before you send them packing.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Reem is an idiot but she was always going to be a first boot if her tribe lost.

Wendy might be an even bigger idiot. What she should have said was "I like Reem on a personal level, but she's no good for my game. I'm 100% with you guys and want to work with you all." Now she's just awaiting her exit. Her only hope is to lay low and hope for a tribe swap.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Agree but not a fan of how idolized the past contestants have been by the others. I'm sure that'll change but it was pretty bad.

Yeah they really idolized the past players. I am not sure why people act like the past players are soooo awesome. I mean if I showed up and it was the Jimmy Johnson season. I might be like holy crap it's jimmy Johnson. However, past survivor players are not celebrity's or something. None of those people actually even won the game before.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Reem is an idiot but she was always going to be a first boot if her tribe lost.

Wendy might be an even bigger idiot. What she should have said was "I like Reem on a personal level, but she's no good for my game. I'm 100% with you guys and want to work with you all." Now she's just awaiting her exit. Her only hope is to lay low and hope for a tribe swap.

Which is basically what the med student did.

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I will say at least of the 4 players they brought back none of them are really villains or polarizing personalities. I never was much of a fan of Joe or Wentworth in their seasons but it's not like I hated them either. David and Aubrey I liked because both were awkward to begin their seasons but really changed as the season played out and turned into strong players after it looked like both were prime candidates to be voted out early so I kind of am interested to see how they fair this season with more confidence from the start and the experience of playing before.

I'm glad they showed a couple minutes of how extinction island will work after tribal. I thought maybe they'd use that as the cliff hanger for each week wondering if the player chose to stay in the game or go home. Couldn't tell much from the short, dark clips but looks like at least Reem had a few things there to get started on a shelter and she at least had fire with the torch. I also wonder if there will be any kind of hidden idols or advantages out there. Are they going to be required to do any kind of task or challenges out there? Just a lot of unknowns right now and at what point will whoever gets to come back from extinction island re-enter the game. Guessing it will be post-merge. Also will be interesting to see if anyone chooses not to go there. Early on I think most players will choose to go there because no one likes being voted out early but there are always players that after about 10 days just want to quit too. Like I said earlier this new twist to the game intrigues me the most for this season as there are so many question and possibilities on how it will play out.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I will say at least of the 4 players they brought back none of them are really villains or polarizing personalities. I never was much of a fan of Joe or Wentworth in their seasons but it's not like I hated them either. David and Aubrey I liked because both were awkward to begin their seasons but really changed as the season played out and turned into strong players after it looked like both were prime candidates to be voted out early so I kind of am interested to see how they fair this season with more confidence from the start and the experience of playing before.

I'm glad they showed a couple minutes of how extinction island will work after tribal. I thought maybe they'd use that as the cliff hanger for each week wondering if the player chose to stay in the game or go home. Couldn't tell much from the short, dark clips but looks like at least Reem had a few things there to get started on a shelter and she at least had fire with the torch. I also wonder if there will be any kind of hidden idols or advantages out there. Are they going to be required to do any kind of task or challenges out there? Just a lot of unknowns right now and at what point will whoever gets to come back from extinction island re-enter the game. Guessing it will be post-merge. Also will be interesting to see if anyone chooses not to go there. Early on I think most players will choose to go there because no one likes being voted out early but there are always players that after about 10 days just want to quit too. Like I said earlier this new twist to the game intrigues me the most for this season as there are so many question and possibilities on how it will play out.

I think off screen Jeff Probst has favorites he communicates with. You can always tell when Jeff likes someone he calls them by their last names. Normally he does it with returning players like Wenworth and the guy that played pro football has been back on a few times. I think behind the scenes these people talk to Jeff and he feels comfortable and brings them back.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Very glad they voted Keith out tonight and not Kelley. It seems like David is the only one of the returning contestants to really blend it with his tribe