Atlanta & Charlotte 'Clones: Are you able to get gasoline?

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Saw the news reports last night about the supply chain and infrastructure problems. Long lines and not many stations with gas; hope you all are doing ok.

I'm traveling to Charlotte this week; I hope my Avis Rental Car is full.:mask:

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
I'm in Durham, NC, and I heard that a few stations were out of gas on the south side of town, but we're ok here as of right now.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I think this quote tells it all

"I've used up gas just looking for gas," said Larry Jenkins, a construction worker who pulled his red pickup truck into a Citgo station, on Monday. The sign said $3.99 a gallon, but the pumps were closed. Many filling stations in the area have not had gas for days.

Along with this

A tendency among panicky drivers in the hardest-hit areas to top off their tanks every time they pass an open station has only made matters worse.

"Fuel is coming back into the system, but as soon as it comes in, it's being sucked back out by consumers who are afraid the shortage is going to continue," said Ben Brockwell of the Oil Price Information Service in Wall, N.J.

Gas Pipeline To Atlanta Running At 100 Percent Capacity - News Story - WSB Atlanta

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Gas lines shorten, as do drivers' fuses in wake of hurricanes - CNN.com
However, Atlanta resident Janelle Penn, 24, said she had an easier time finding gas Tuesday than in past days. She ran out of gas on Interstate 20 over the weekend and was stranded until a stranger came to help.
"I am disgusted with this because I have to fill up every two days, but today lines are way shorter," she said as she filled up her Jeep at a BP station.

I'm disgusted that she has to fill up every two days :skeptical:

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
*shrugs* I guess I have a slightly skewed perspective since I chose to live very close to work, I'm single, etc. I do have to drive what might be a more typical commute to go anywhere else, church, grocery store, etc but I still manage a week to a week and a half on a tank. I mean with my typical gas mileage and tank size... I can get around 330 miles before the light comes on.

Grant you she's driving a Jeep, I'm driving an Elantra. Still, driving 150 (~14/18 mpg city/high way, so thats low estimate for 10 gallons)) or so miles every 2 days? That just seems like a lot of driving to me

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
I drive 100 miles a day, but we live close to family and have 4 kids, so where we live is more convenient for the rest of the family than it is for me. Sometimes sacrifices aren't clear cut to the outside observer. If it makes you feel better, the wife drives a Durango, it fits all of us comfortably, but she only drives it 5 miles a day.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I drive 100 miles a day, but we live close to family and have 4 kids, so where we live is more convenient for the rest of the family than it is for me. Sometimes sacrifices aren't clear cut to the outside observer. If it makes you feel better, the wife drives a Durango, it fits all of us comfortably, but she only drives it 5 miles a day.

I realize my opinion is skewed as I don't have to worry about kids or a wife or family (my family is 1000 miles away). But it kinda highlights part of why we're so dependant on oil - Either choosing jobs far from where we want to live or choosing to live far from where we want to work, for whatever reasons (and I'm sure the list of reasons is not short) That, combined with a lack of widely utilized mass transit, are big contributers to our dependance on oil

Certainly not the only contributers, and not everyone can live only 2 miles (driving) from work, but it doesn't change the significance of it.

Oh and the fact that it mentioned she drove a Jeep didn't help her case... again I'm an outside observer and there could be other factors like she needs it to drive her kids around when she gets home from work or something, or a newer car isn't affordable, but commuting that far with something that gets 16 mpg isn't helping.

I should shut up and get off my high horse though... there is ideal and then there is real life, and they rarely come close to each other.

And I'm not perfect in my habits so... guess I should shut it

Reactions: capitalcityguy

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
Maybe we can get together and design a bird suit that would harness air power. I tried coming up with an engine that was powered by my own flatulence, but my stomach started to hurt from all the beans, and I didn't get any for a couple of weeks, so screw that.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Maybe we can get together and design a bird suit that would harness air power. I tried coming up with an engine that was powered by my own flatulence, but my stomach started to hurt from all the beans, and I didn't get any for a couple of weeks, so screw that.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
But it kinda highlights part of why we're so dependant on oil - Either choosing jobs far from where we want to live or choosing to live far from where we want to work, for whatever reasons (and I'm sure the list of reasons is not short) That, combined with a lack of widely utilized mass transit, are big contributers to our dependance on oil

Certainly not the only contributers, and not everyone can live only 2 miles (driving) from work, but it doesn't change the significance of it.
It never ceases to amaze me (maybe confounds is a better term) how little thought people put into the location of their home in relation to the extent this necessitates the amount of time it takes to drive to work each day.

IMO, if we all did a better job of making smart decisions on where we live in relation to where we work, we'd have far less problems related to energy and dependence on foreign oil than we do today.