Website Builder

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I have to build a website for a class I'm taking, and I really don't want to learn HTML or anything. Does anyone have any suggestions for a free "drag & drop" type site builder? I have used Homestead in the past, but I see now that they charge after a 30 day free trial. Yahoo's looks OK, but I don't have any experience with that one.

Suggestions?

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Does your ISP provide you with a free website? I know mediacom does.

A quick google search brought up this, have never heard of it though, but maybe skim it and see.

Weebly - Create a free website and a free blog

Or this.

Freewebs.com - Free website, free hosting, free webpage - Make a web site with photo albums, blogs, videos, forums and more!

Yeah, I had just checked out Weebly a bit ago...it seems OK; not as good as the pay sites, but not bad for a basic website. I'm considering it.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Oh, and I think my ISP (Qwest) provides free website space, but then what should I use to create the site? i.e. what's easy?

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
You can create something in microsoft word and save it as an HTML file. This usually will create the ****** you need.

Ugh. Creating web content in Word and saving as HTML is brutal if you ever want to manipulate the HTML code yourself. Word adds a whole bunch of proprietary junk to the code that increases the file size and adds a lot of unnecessary information.

How advanced does the website need to be? Really, the best way to do it is to build the site from scratch with code. But, if you don't know what you're doing, it could take awhile.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I know the full mozilla suite has/had one.

I guess it sort of depends on what you need the website to do...

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
How advanced does the website need to be? Really, the best way to do it is to build the site from scratch with code. But, if you don't know what you're doing, it could take awhile.

I know the full mozilla suite has/had one.

I guess it sort of depends on what you need the website to do...

It doesn't need to be real advanced. It's basically going to be a mock-up of something I might make after graduation and getting a job in the field. It won't be used by anyone but my professor and classmates.

I'm still hashing out what I will be putting on it, but I'm guessing it will mostly be using links to other sites, and maybe podcasts, videos, etc. It's for kids, so there might be games, activities, etc.

I'm not looking to get too involved, because I'm sure I don't have to in order to get a good grade. It's more to just introduce people to the technology of building a site. There's no way I can learn any sort of advanced coding to get it done in two weeks, and I'm sure that I'm not expected to.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I use Adobe GoLive which is a nice app. I don't have to tinker with the HTML for a basic site but you will have to tinker with the formating and various features with HTML editors to make things look right.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
What class is this by the way. There was/is an English class that teaches building websites. I think it was English 313. Pretty good course but the strange thing was that when I took it the prof said I was one of the very few IT majors that he'd ever had. Most English or design majors are required to take the course, for me it was an elective.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
What class is this by the way. There was/is an English class that teaches building websites. I think it was English 313. Pretty good course but the strange thing was that when I took it the prof said I was one of the very few IT majors that he'd ever had. Most English or design majors are required to take the course, for me it was an elective.

It's a children's programming class for my online grad school, San Jose State, for library science.

The website is just a small part of the class overall, so I'm not worried that it has to be really good.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny

I was signed up for a similiar class but had to drop it to fit in a required class.

It still really bugs me, and it's sort of my own fault - I graduated in MIS and didn't take/wasn't required to take any web development/design class of any kind. I know there were various kinds of web development/design courses at ISU but it never worked out (schedule wise) for me to take em - I wish MIS would have just required it.

O well. I did manage to learn a little html, css, flash, and ASP.NET on my own however. And now my job has nothing to do with web development :smile:

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
It doesn't need to be real advanced. It's basically going to be a mock-up of something I might make after graduation and getting a job in the field. It won't be used by anyone but my professor and classmates.

I'm still hashing out what I will be putting on it, but I'm guessing it will mostly be using links to other sites, and maybe podcasts, videos, etc. It's for kids, so there might be games, activities, etc.

I'm not looking to get too involved, because I'm sure I don't have to in order to get a good grade. It's more to just introduce people to the technology of building a site. There's no way I can learn any sort of advanced coding to get it done in two weeks, and I'm sure that I'm not expected to.

Interactive, fancy websites are not overly simple to create, but it takes a lot of time, and some amount of programming experience, though it's more akin to microsoft access or visual basic than it is to, say, C or java.

You basically have two "routes". Something along the lines of google sites will suffice for basic functionality. To do "advanced" things without getting into the weeds, you probably need to get some sort of hosting deal and, I would suspect, something like phpNuke or another CMS that would allow you to do most of what you want to do without getting your hands too dirty.

This site would have to be hosted either on a local server or computer (you could probably get a simple Apache/Mysql/php setup on your computer), or hosted on a provider's server for 5 bucks a month or so. For the hosting option, you'll need to register a domain name as well, which runs about 10 bucks/year.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I use Adobe Dreamweaver. However, keep in mind this is not a cheap option at all. But it will do almost anything you can possibly want a website to do, especially if you team it up with the rest of one of Adobe's Creative Suites.