PFF: Mike Rose

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
Another reason not to get too worked up over recruiting rankings. Mike had 0 other P5 offers. Was ranked the 980th overall recruit in the country. Not sure you could find 50 guys who had a better true freshman year. Just trust coach Campbell and staff.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
How legit is PFF? They do an awful lot of work if I am to believe these rankings. So how do they make money?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
How legit is PFF? They do an awful lot of work if I am to believe these rankings. So how do they make money?

They don't. They just do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

• Funny
Reactions: JM4CY

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006

I've been thinking similar things since they popped up a couple years ago. I just want to know what are they grading on? Who/how are they doing so many player grades across the country?

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

I believe they have a premium subscription that is very expensive. Think it gives access to all of their info. They just share snippets on social media. I tend to think their grades are overhyped and I'm a little surprised at the clout they've earned within the industry. They've done a good job of marketing themselves, and now everyone treats their ratings like gospel, similar to KenPom.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I believe they have a premium subscription that is very expensive. Think it gives access to all of their info. They just share snippets on social media. I tend to think their grades are overhyped and I'm a little surprised at the clout they've earned within the industry. They've done a good job of marketing themselves, and now everyone treats their ratings like gospel, similar to KenPom.

I think they were pretty well revered when they just did NFL. Guys like us never heard of them then, because only NFL teams or those related to it purchased subscriptions. Not surprisingly, they've branched out into the college game as a way to diversify. I have zero insight whether they've diluted themselves in the process, but like you said, they market themselves really well.

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
I think they used to give a lot more access to NCAAF analysis when they started to get into that space to gain some traction, which I think they did, but started charging a bit to get the subscriptions like few posters have mentioned above. one of their analysts was on the last season of Bachelorette, but I like to think they made him sign up for free publicity.

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Another reason not to get too worked up over recruiting rankings. Mike had 0 other P5 offers. Was ranked the 980th overall recruit in the country. Not sure you could find 50 guys who had a better true freshman year. Just trust coach Campbell and staff.
A non-rated 18 year old that walks into a D1 program starts and does that well is crazy unique in Top Tier conferences. Rankings do matter. That said ISU does do a nice job identifying underappreciated football players thus far. But to start in a top-tier program as an unranked 18 yo has to be statistically astronomically small number.

• Agree
Reactions: algonacy

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Top programs are really good at signing the high school guys with all the right "measurables."

What Campbell's staff has excelled at is, beyond improving the roster talent overall, is identifying guys who have ability that goes beyond the basic measurable things that make up these rankings.

It must really take time getting to know players and families to be able to zero in on those things.

• Agree
Reactions: Magic and algonacy

CyCrib

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 29, 2016

Well........ we had one.... nah can't be 49 others.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Analytics usually work, and show bias. I never would have guessed KU had the best LB, but his numbers could be bloated due to lack of talent around him. No one else there to make the play but him scenario.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Analytics usually work, and show bias. I never would have guessed KU had the best LB, but his numbers could be bloated due to lack of talent around him. No one else there to make the play but him scenario.

That might actually make what he did more impressive, as opposing teams would surely account for him among the first in their blocking schemes.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I used to be impressed when our linebackers were at the top of the conference in tackles. Now that they aren’t, I realize that those numbers were inflated because they simply had more opportunities to make tackles.

Dineen had opportunity aplenty.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I used to be impressed when our linebackers were at the top of the conference in tackles. Now that they aren’t, I realize that those numbers were inflated because they simply had more opportunities to make tackles.

Dineen had opportunity aplenty.

But those were just simple numbers, not deep analytics, as our LBs were at the top of the total tackles list for the Big 12.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
But those were just simple numbers, not deep analytics, as our LBs were at the top of the total tackles list for the Big 12.
My response was meant to complement the postI replied to. I can think of plenty of ways that more opportunities to make plays, along with a lack of talent around him, combined to make Dineen look better than he was.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron