Can Solomon Young get a medical redshirt?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Lard didn’t play well in Lawerence because he wasn’t on the floor due to his foul trouble but that doesn’t mean Jacobson’s defense was good. He was really nothing more than a body. He couldn’t stop anyone even though he was on the floor. With Lards play style you are going to have nights where he fouls out. He is still infinitely better than Jacobson defensively.
I didn’t say Jacobson played well, I said he played better than Lard. That’s the context of this whole discussion.

Lard didn’t play well in Lawrence because he played so badly he fouled out. Being “nothing more than a body” is far better defense than fouling out in 6 minutes. You can’t play defense from the bench, and fouling the other team is rarely good.

There’s nothing that supports that Lard is infinitely better on defense than Jacobson, other than blocks, which is a very poor metric of defensive quality.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
You may want to rewatch the first Kansas game.

Although different, Jacobson isn’t any more of a liability on defense than Lard. Fouling at a high rate is bad defense as much as it is a strategic reason to not start him. Jacobson has a better DRating than Lard, and although that metric is flawed, it’s flawed in the favor of someone like Lard that gets blocks.

Lard is a better defender, I don't know why people are still unsure about this. We have 1/2 of a Big 12 season gone to get an idea of how they will handle Big 12 posts. Would you rather have a guy blocking/altering a bunch of shots and fouling, or a guy constantly getting abused inside by Big 12 posts.

I think Jacobson is a better rebounder and has more offensive range, but Lard has shown the ability the last couple of games to make jumpers outside the paint.

• Optimistic
Reactions: FinalFourCy

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Lol reading some of these comments. Conditt isnt redshirting and Solo isnt going to be buried on the bench next year. Conditt has already shown he can play in this league in limited minutes.

Solo is a 2 year starter, he wasn't healthy at all this year and Prohm tried his best to get him involved in the lineup right away when he came back and played alot in the Baylor game. Im sure next year he'll be demoted to the last spot on the bench. :rolleyes:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think we are going to *have* to play two traditional big men and/or some sort of hybrid-stretch man at the 4 next year given the composition of the roster.

Jacobson, Lard, Young, and Conditt are going to be too good to only play one of them.

This is especially true because we lose so much in the backcourt -- we are guaranteed to lose Nick and Marial, there is a good chance something happens with Wigginton, THT, or even TH and the NBA, and the guys behind them, while I am not giving up on them whatsoever, have not shown a ton so far. The balance of power on the roster is going to change.

We are even losing our eighth man in Talley, who is at least playing spot minutes.

Additionally, while I like our recruits, none of them have the star ratings attached to them, except for maybe Marcedus Leech if he returns to his form of yore, that scream "Day 1 starter in the Big 12" like they did for Wigginton and Horton-Tucker. Nixon coming off the redshirt from CSU/the MWC does not have the pedigree of Shayok coming out of UVA, as well.

Not as many good guards/more and better posts = need to start playing bigger again.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I think we are going to *have* to play two traditional big men and/or some sort of hybrid-stretch man at the 4 next year given the composition of the roster.

Jacobson, Lard, Young, and Conditt are going to be too good to only play one of them.

This is especially true because we lose so much in the backcourt -- we are guaranteed to lose Nick and Marial, there is a good chance something happens with Wigginton, THT, or even TH and the NBA, and the guys behind them, while I am not giving up on them whatsoever, have not shown a ton so far. The balance of power on the roster is going to change.

We are even losing our eighth man in Talley, who is at least playing spot minutes.

Additionally, while I like our recruits, none of them have the star ratings attached to them, except for maybe Marcedus Leech if he returns to his form of yore, that scream "Day 1 starter in the Big 12" like they did for Wigginton and Horton-Tucker. Nixon coming off the redshirt from CSU/the MWC does not have the pedigree of Shayok coming out of UVA, as well.

Not as many good guards/more and better posts = need to start playing bigger again.

If we are playing two bigs, one of them has to be able to space the floor, one has to be able to defend a wing, and, ideally, the other could provide rim protection. Without wing defense and spacing, though, we’d get run off the floor.

• Disagree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If we are playing two bigs, one of them has to be able to space the floor, one has to be able to defend a wing, and, ideally, the other could provide rim protection. Without wing defense and spacing, though, we’d get run off the floor.

You just described my Conditt // Foster fantasy in a few years.