Zone Offense Struggles

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I know we have struggled against the zone defense this year (with the exception of the Ole Miss game, which I count as an anomaly due to 70% shooting). We have struggled with zone defenses for the past few years. I know on the KXNO show with Jess Settles and Jake Sullivan they mentioned that a lot of teams struggle with the zone. Jake thought our struggles in the Texas game were that we didn't recognize the defense until later into the shot clock. Why is it so hard to play offense against the zone? If it is so hard, why doesn't everyone play zone defense? Do we need to practice more against it? As good as coaches are offensively, there has to be a good way to defeat it besides great shooting.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I know we have struggled against the zone defense this year (with the exception of the Ole Miss game, which I count as an anomaly due to 70% shooting). We have struggled with zone defenses for the past few years. I know on the KXNO show with Jess Settles and Jake Sullivan they mentioned that a lot of teams struggle with the zone. Jake thought our struggles in the Texas game were that we didn't recognize the defense until later into the shot clock. Why is it so hard to play offense against the zone? If it is so hard, why doesn't everyone play zone defense? Do we need to practice more against it? As good as coaches are offensively, there has to be a good way to defeat it besides great shooting.

We shot great because of the zone against Mississippi.

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
I'd add that we didn't shoot terrible yesterday either. OU is a pretty solid defensive team all-around. Eliminate a step-back or flat footed three or two (THT and Jake) and we shoot even better. I'd say the bigger issue last night was OU being able to answer every 6-8 point lead we got in the second half.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I say bring on the zone defenses. We have the guards to shoot over it. Our turnovers are up over the last 4 games, but our scoring is up too. THT has been driving the ball to the bucket just fine against the zone. LW not so much, but he seems to have found his shooting touch again.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Good zone defenses are hard to beat (Syracuse of recent memory) but if they aren't good zones, a competent team should be able to beat it fairly regularly. It's as simple is finding the weak pockets within the zone. And I think we are more than capable of that.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Zone defense will catch a team off- guard, but when played for extended possessions, it can be exploited. As said above, the key is to recognize it early in the possession.

I've always thought it was a good idea to randomly throw it in for just a couple possessions each game, if the opposing offense is continually getting the looks they want. Just for no just reason than to get them out of their rhythm.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I honestly think we struggle a bit against the zone since we have more than a handful of guys that are hesitant to pull the trigger, especially against Texas. I thought we did a better job last night. Haliburton likes to quick pass, but often it should be his shot to take or to create by driving. Instead he makes the additional pass but to where the defense can close. Babb also doesn't appear comfortable thinking catch and shoot or decisive drive, and the defense can recover. I thought they both did it better last nigh. They are both capable of shooting and driving, I just think their first instinct is to pass the ball to keep the offense moving. Jacobsen is really effected by the zone against lengthy defenders. He has to set his defenders up to get a good look in the post, and that just takes too long against a zone.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
We are geared to run. Zone defense is meant to counteract that, slow a high-powered offense down and prevent some of the dribble penetration. It levels the playing field if you have better ball handling athletes (like us).

It's a matter of who executes their plan better. We shot poorly against Texas and could have won that by more. Oklahoma extended their zone and really played solid defensively, but we still made enough plays to win.

We are susceptible to the zone, but if we shoot our average, we'll come out ahead most of the time. Haliburton does a great job with fake passes to shift the zone away from him. I would love to see some more of that from everyone when teams play that aggressively. It gets the zone out of shape and opens up chasms that we can exploit.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
We are geared to run. Zone defense is meant to counteract that, slow a high-powered offense down and prevent some of the dribble penetration. It levels the playing field if you have better ball handling athletes (like us).

It's a matter of who executes their plan better. We shot poorly against Texas and could have won that by more. Oklahoma extended their zone and really played solid defensively, but we still made enough plays to win.

We are susceptible to the zone, but if we shoot our average, we'll come out ahead most of the time. Haliburton does a great job with fake passes to shift the zone away from him. I would love to see some more of that from everyone when teams play that aggressively. It gets the zone out of shape and opens up chasms that we can exploit.

Yeah, those fake passes, and quick return passes really can leave you open.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
The Zone D has causes a couple of lulls in scoring but as other posters have once the team recognized it they were patient and were able to create some excellent looks. The past two games a lot of them didn't fall as expected leading to closer games than they probably should have been if they would have fallen.

I expect the staff to use the extra practice time the next two weeks to add a few new Off. sets to counter future opponents switching defenses. I would especially like to see THT get the ball at the FT corner like in the Miss St game to initiate the Off. Prohm ran a few sets utilizing that in the second half but I would like to see that as the primary counter.

• Winner
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Is it the zone or is it when teams are really aggressive when playing D? It seems when at times this team gets pressured and they make some not so great decisions.

• Agree
Reactions: flander1649

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Is it the zone or is it when teams are really aggressive when playing D? It seems when at times this team gets pressured and they make some not so great decisions.

Games have natural ebbs and flows. Especially when the differences between the two teams aren’t great, and they are evenly matched.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
They key to beating a zone defense is with patience and ball reversals. Get the defenders moving side to side and then exploit the middle. Once the defenders commit to the middle either the baseline or an outside shooter will be free. When we struggle it's usually because we are too quick to hoist a 3 instead of actually making the offense work. IMO Lard is our secret ingredient to destry a zone defense.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Our biggest problem last night wasn't the zone defense, especially in the second half. I thought our problem was shot selection every time we built a 5-7 point lead.

It seemed like each time we did that, and had an opportunity to stretch it into a range that may have been insurmountable for OU's offense, we shot ourselves in the foot with quick 3s or challenged shots early in the shot clock.

Matt Campbell calls it attention to detail. I feel like we still lack focus at times when we have opportunities to deliver a knockout blow earlier in games.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
They key to beating a zone defense is with patience and ball reversals. Get the defenders moving side to side and then exploit the middle. Once the defenders commit to the middle either the baseline or an outside shooter will be free. When we struggle it's usually because we are too quick to hoist a 3 instead of actually making the offense work. IMO Lard is our secret ingredient to destry a zone defense.

THT consistently penetrated, and got in the teeth of the zone consistently. He made plays for himself and teammates.

Nick shot 3-4 airballs on wide open shots. That’s not the zone causing problems

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
How much have we struggled against zone on offense compared to just having lulls in general? That’s going to happen some this time of year.

Giving up ORebounds to teams that also play zone against us has hurt more than offense against the zone, as well as the pace slowing at times. But that’s happened against non-zone defenses, too.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron