Story on the gambling aspect of last night's win over OU

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Disclaimer: i had money on ISU so I care more than most. But I strongly disagree. OU hitting that shot with some time on the clock is getting screwed over. Since it’s extremely obvious they didn’t get it off, that’s straight up cheated. If that shot was to win or tie, it gets reviewed and not counted so why shouldn’t it now? Sports betting is getting more and more popular, that needs to get changed

Of course it matters if it affects winning or losing.

But Iowa state won no matter if that shot counted or not. Oklahoma doesn’t get bonus points for covering.

It’s not the NCAAs problem if you lost money.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Probably the gamblers in New Orleans are compaining the most. They know what bad refs can do.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Completely agree with the article but they have one Major thing wrong. None of these leagues WANT to be driven by gambling or at least the image (especially the NCAA). They would still love the extra money so they want the best of both worlds as long as they can keep it.

• Optimistic
Reactions: SpokaneCY

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
LSU at Missouri.

Missouri up 14 with 2:08 to play getting 5 and a half.

Lost by 6 in OT.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
According to the clock he got it off. According the the backboard he didn’t. Why were those not in sync? The picture floating around with the backboard lit up still has .2 seconds left on the game clock.

Yah, that would be a big problem, lol. And could certainly affect future games.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
In NET, only games of more than 10 points matter for spread. Or 10-or-more, can't remember which. Basically a single-digit margin is considered equal.

That's not how I interpret this article:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...long-overdue-overhaul-on-an-outdated-process/

It looks to me like margin of victory is taken into account but just capped at 10 points. Anything above 10 points doesn't get you anything more. So far everyone saying margin doesn't matter, I think it technically does.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
According to the clock he got it off. According the the backboard he didn’t. Why were those not in sync? The picture floating around with the backboard lit up still has .2 seconds left on the game clock.
ESPN clock and the actual game clock aren’t the same thing. If it was reviewed it would’ve been waved off

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
That's not how I interpret this article:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...long-overdue-overhaul-on-an-outdated-process/

It looks to me like margin of victory is taken into account but just capped at 10 points. Anything above 10 points doesn't get you anything more. So far everyone saying margin doesn't matter, I think it technically does.

I stand corrected, you're right. I mis-remembered the rule. It's basically set up to avoid "running up the score." It's still my belief it's an arbitrary cap and point difference doesn't always reflect how "close" a game actually is. But that's a discussion for another time.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I stand corrected, you're right. I mis-remembered the rule. It's basically set up to avoid "running up the score." It's still my belief it's an arbitrary cap and point difference doesn't always reflect how "close" a game actually is. But that's a discussion for another time.

I can't imagine 3 points either way would have any real effect on the metric itself, but the fact of the matter is it is relevant so you should get it right.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
But why should the league care about gamblers?

What matters is what team wins. Oklahoma doesn’t get bonus points for covering.

If you start allowing that type of stuff to come into games you give even more incentive to point shavers.

Because gamblers are a significant source of revenue for leagues and advertisers; the NFL and NBA are finally getting around to admitting that.

• Winner
Reactions: SpokaneCY

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I can't imagine 3 points either way would have any real effect on the metric itself, but the fact of the matter is it is relevant so you should get it right.

I admitted I didn't state the rule as it's established and you corrected me. My other comment is simply an opinion about the NET setup for point margin.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Huh. I always assumed at decent venues they were wired in directly to the broadcast feed.
I’m not totally sure how it all works, but the light clearly goes on before the shot is released and I replayed it multiple times, the horn goes off before he really even starts shouting it lol

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron