Story on the gambling aspect of last night's win over OU

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Doesn't the final score have some other impact? Does this new NET system take into account margin of victory? I can't imagine 3 points would make a big difference, but there are non-Vegas reasons to make sure baskets count. I'm amazed they dont review it even if it doesn't effect the overall outcome.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Doesn't the final score have some other impact? Does this new NET system take into account margin of victory? I can't imagine 3 points would make a big difference, but there are non-Vegas reasons to make sure baskets count. I'm amazed they dont review it even if it doesn't effect the overall outcome.
The way they officiated that game I am not at all surprised they messed this up/didn't make the effort to correct it.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Not a gambler, but I think the league should probably ask officials to review last second shots even if they don't affect the final outcome just because everything in the final two minutes is scrutinized anyway. If Shayok had missed his free throw and that shot was to tie the game, it certainly would have been reviewed.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

In NET, only games of more than 10 points matter for spread. Or 10-or-more, can't remember which. Basically a single-digit margin is considered equal.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Lololol. Gamblers making a huge stink about this. You know what else altered the outcome of the game, multiple questionable calls by the refs. It's a variable, and it's real.

Just because the mistake took place after the horn, doesn't make it less of a human error.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Not a gambler, but I think the league should probably ask officials to review last second shots even if they don't affect the final outcome just because everything in the final two minutes is scrutinized anyway. If Shayok had missed his free throw and that shot was to tie the game, it certainly would have been reviewed.

And would have likely decided the light and clock were wrong and counted it!

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I have a hard time feeling bad for gamblers getting screwed over. That’s the risk they run. And if you don’t want to lose the money, don’t bet.
Disclaimer: i had money on ISU so I care more than most. But I strongly disagree. OU hitting that shot with some time on the clock is getting screwed over. Since it’s extremely obvious they didn’t get it off, that’s straight up cheated. If that shot was to win or tie, it gets reviewed and not counted so why shouldn’t it now? Sports betting is getting more and more popular, that needs to get changed

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

But why should the league care about gamblers?

What matters is what team wins. Oklahoma doesn’t get bonus points for covering.

If you start allowing that type of stuff to come into games you give even more incentive to point shavers.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I knew live he didn't get that off in time. I just don't think the refs cared to look at it really because it didn't matter. That seems like a game where the betters should just get their money back.

I think if gambling is made fully legal, an independent body could be established and situations like this could be reviewed from a gaming standpoint after the fact to determine legitimacy, even if there isn't an official review by officials. So, actual game outcome remains unchallengeable, but wagers can be reassessed if it's found the call is incorrect.

Reactions: cyclonpediaJoe

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Lololol. Gamblers making a huge stink about this. You know what else altered the outcome of the game, multiple questionable calls by the refs. It's a variable, and it's real.

Just because the mistake took place after the horn, doesn't make it less of a human error.
Besides, you know, not being close to the same thing at all, you have a point

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
So a third party entity that has no relationship to the game demands they correct an inconsequential late 3pointer. Sorry no. Refs didn’t bother reviewing the score because it didn’t change the outcome. If Oklahoma had won or tied on that shot it would have been reviewed and overturned. Just as many betters won on that error as lost. It is part of the risk you take when you gamble your money. Comparisons to horse racing are stupid as the industry does exist for and is financed by gambling.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron