Where we stand statistically

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Everyone has been talking about our perceived strengths and weakness so I thought I'd dig up exactly how we're doing vs. our conference peers through 4 games. IMO, the long term health of our FB program has more do to with conference play than how we fair against the black and gold team.

There are some pleasant surprises in these numbers. I've pointed out some categories where we're excelling or doing equally poorly. Top or bottom quarter. Our course we haven't played a conference game yet either, so these comparisons don't mean too much.

Conference Statistics

Pass Efficiency Defense - 12th
Fumble recoveries - 1st
Fumbles lost - tied for last
Kick returns - 1st
Pass offense -11th
Passing efficiency - 11th
Interceptions - 2nd
Rushing defense - 10th
Scoring defense - 11th
Scoring offense - 10th
Total offense - 10th
Turnover margin - 1st
Sacks - tied for 10th

Our strengths appear to be special teams and turnovers. The passing game needs to improve looking at these numbers. Surprisingly it ranks lower than our running game. Our improved field position and TOs need to be converted into points. Defense is giving up too many points as well, but that's no surprise.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
and yet our punt returner is affraid to catch and advance the ball. I would say our kickoff return is where we are good. Our field goal kicking is still very Iowa State like.

sloaner

Apr 19, 2006
Indianola, IA
Anyone want to break out Arnaud and Bates stats to see what some of those numbers would be?

Everyone has been talking about our perceived strengths and weakness so I thought I'd dig up exactly how we're doing vs. our conference peers through 4 games. IMO, the long term health of our FB program has more do to with conference play than how we fair against the black and gold team.

There are some pleasant surprises in these numbers. I've pointed out some categories where we're excelling or doing equally poorly. Top or bottom quarter. Our course we haven't played a conference game yet either, so these comparisons don't mean too much.

Conference Statistics

Pass Efficiency Defense - 12th
Fumble recoveries - 1st
Fumbles lost - tied for last
Kick returns - 1st
Pass offense -11th
Passing efficiency - 11th
Interceptions - 2nd
Rushing defense - 10th
Scoring defense - 11th
Scoring offense - 10th
Total offense - 10th
Turnover margin - 1st
Sacks - tied for 10th

Our strengths appear to be special teams and turnovers. The passing game needs to improve looking at these numbers. Surprisingly it ranks lower than our running game. Our improved field position and TOs need to be converted into points. Defense is giving up too many points as well, but that's no surprise.

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008

It is lower, because everyone else has a pretty good passing game with all the returning QB and all.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
Basically, we need a better pass rush and a better running game. I will say that a majority of the teams in the conference haven't played as tough of a schedule as ISU has so far.

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
What games have you been watching?!!! I've been watching O'Connell(?) run right up the throat of the defense.

o'connell almost had a punt return for a td against, i think it was sdsu, he barely got tripped up, and he had another one where he got barely tripped too

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Our field goal kicking is still very Iowa State like.

In that they havent missed an extra point yet? Or that Mahoney has only missed one kick at home. I feel the Iowa game is a terrible representation of who the team is as a whole (including Iowa). Mahoney also had a HUGE clutch fg against UNLV. Sounds pretty ISU like to me...

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Basically, we need a better pass rush and a better running game. I will say that a majority of the teams in the conference haven't played as tough of a schedule as ISU has so far.
And by "tough" you mean in a relative sense -- as in "This cupcake is tougher because it doesn't have a whipped cream filling."

Hey! It's just supposed to be funny!

Reactions: Clonefan94

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Anyone want to break out Arnaud and Bates stats to see what some of those numbers would be?

It would be tough to compare pure numbers (i.e. passing yards, TDs etc) because they split time, but here's where they stand in the Big 12:

Pass attempts: Arnaud 9th, Bates 15th

Passing Avg/Game: Arnaud 11th

Pass Efficency: Arnaud 11, Bates unranked (not enough attempts/game)

Total Offense: Arnaud 11th, Bates 20th

Points responsible for: Arnaud T12th, Bates T57th

So not great, really.