How long does Chizik get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
I think it's too early to make the call on Chizik's success, but all the comparisons of UNLV/Nevada & Iowa/NW have made it apparent that we should be disappointed in Chizik's results so far.

Mac got fired for going 4-8. I expected to go at least 4-8 or 5-7 in Chizik's first year considering he returned a lot of talent including an experienced senior QB, one of the Big 12's top receivers, and a decent defense including Tuba & Bowen. Instead we regressed from 4-8 to 3-9 with a 'signature' win over an Iowa team that turned out to be horrible. All the talk about how Northwestern hasn't played a good team yet got me thinking -- it's true, but the schedule is what it is, and they're 5-0...maybe they aren't great wins, but they're all wins. Meanwhile we haven't played a good team either, and we're 2-2. And our losses are to teams that have proven themselves to be pretty poor in subsequent weeks. We beat UNLV with Mac, in fact ISU had never lost to UNLV until Chizik did it. So where exactly is Chizik headed with this program? I didn't expect a bowl game in his first or second year, but I expected 4-5 wins last year and 5-6 wins this year. Instead, we got 3 wins last year and are headed to 3 or 4 wins this year. And if we don't get a lot better next year, it may be too late. Even if the team improves in year 4 we have Texas Tech, @ Oklahoma, and @ Texas on the schedule which is like starting out 0-3 with 9 remaining games. And with Utah it might be like 0-4 with 8 remaining games. We were told we couldn't compete with top teams and go to bowl games until we coughed up big money for tickets, seating, and donations. Well, Pollard got us to cough up big time and as much as I hate to say it, not only are we not better than we were under Mac, we're worse. And if there's no bowl game in 2007, 2008, or 2009, which I expect will be the case, how long is this fan base going to support Chizik & Pollard?

Last edited:

aeroclone08

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Wichita, KS
OK if you're going to rip on Chizik, at least do so factually. If you recall, UNLV beat a ranked ASU team on the road the week before they played us. And next year we have the same conference schedule as we do this year, just reverse home and away. Texas tech/Texas/OU don't come back until 2010, his FOURTH year.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Mac got canned because he had been here 12 years and regressed so badly from 2005 to 2006. Chizik hasn't even had a chance to get his guys in here, get them some experience, and get them going.

Chizik gets 5 years minimum before final judgments can be made. One thing I will say it that he is far too conservative in the red zone.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
seriously, does everybody live in the playstation world.....

it takes time to win....
yeah we do. and my first season i went 3-9 so i bumped down the difficulty level and now im dominating season 2. in fact AA, ARob and SJ are 1,2,3 in the Heisman race. so why dont we just bump down the difficulty level for chizik. because that is as realistic as it gets ya'll.

on second thought, yes can we bring back negative rep?

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
It takes time to win because you have to improve. I don't see any improvement. The 2008 team is worse than almost all of Mac's teams from 2000-2006.

Not a freaking chance. In 2003 we lost to Northern Illinois and lost ALL the conference games by an average of around 40.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
It takes time to win because you have to improve. I don't see any improvement. The 2008 team is worse than almost all of Mac's teams from 2000-2006.
The 2003 team was a complete joke who quit nearly every game when they fell behind.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Last edited:

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Not a freaking chance. In 2003 we lost to Northern Illinois and lost ALL the conference games by an average of around 40.

What part of the words "ALMOST all" do you not understand?

al·most
thinsp.png
/ˈɔl
thinsp.png
moʊst, ɔlˈmoʊst/
Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[awl-mohst, awl-mohst] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adverb very nearly; all but: almost every house; almost the entire symphony; to pay almost nothing for a car; almost twice as many books.
[Origin: bef. 1000; ME; OE (e)al māst, var. of æl mǣst nearly
thinsp.png
]

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota

al·most
thinsp.png
/ˈɔl
thinsp.png
moʊst, ɔlˈmoʊst/
Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[awl-mohst, awl-mohst]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adverb very nearly; all but: almost every house; almost the entire symphony; to pay almost nothing for a car; almost twice as many books.
thinsp.png
]

maybe it was the title that was a attention getter, but then you knew that....:skeptical:

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA

al·most
thinsp.png
/ˈɔl
thinsp.png
moʊst, ɔlˈmoʊst/
Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[awl-mohst, awl-mohst]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
thinsp.png
]

Why not then just say "this 2008 team is worse than all the teams from 2000-2006, save for the dreadful 2003 team"?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Some people apparently can't think rationally or with any sort of knowledge-base. If you expected any coach to come in an win in such a short period of time, you simply do not belong anywhere near college sports.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
As soon as Chizik has a season like this, I might go down that road with you. Not until then.

I can live with Chizk having a rebuilding season like 2003 if he also has some seasons like 2001, 2002, 2004, or 2005. But I don't see any indication that we're headed in that direction.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Some people apparently can't think rationally or with any sort of knowledge-base. If you expected any coach to come in an win in such a short period of time, you simply do not belong anywhere near college sports.

Agreed. Again, Chizik gets 5 years, minimum.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008

I did not expect a bowl game last year or this year. But I did expect us to get better or at least be as good as we were in most of Mac's later years. And we're not.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
Sometimes there is simply a call for new ideas to push a program forward. I hope that we pull off more than 4 or 5 wins this year. We were in position to win at Iowa and UNLV, that stands for something. If we are in position to win in the 4th quarter in every game that is clearly a step forward for the program.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Following up on the wise remarks about the new era of Playstation fans and their lofty expectations...

I'm assuming you'll some day call into the coaching show with the following comments....

"But, but coach, why didn't you hit A, C, B, right trigger, left joystick when they tried to score that last time? I mean, it's obvious that the play from page 3 of the Dime package on Madden would have been perfect to stop them."

Status
Not open for further replies.