Kyler Murray is going into the NFL draft

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Man, I don't know. Seems like a guy his size would be more of a sure thing in baseball, and would probably have more longevity (particularly when a pretty big part of his game is scrambling as a little guy). Hard to deny his ability in football though.
The problem is there's really no such thing as "sure thing" in the MLB. He'll definitely get a chance in the NFL but it'd likely be years before he got to the MLB if he ever even got there. I don't blame him at all

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
With the recent success of Mahomes and Mayfield, I have a feeling some GMs may be a little more willing to take a second look at an RPO quarterback, especially one as young and talented as Murray.

Like isufbcurt said, baseball is a pretty great fallback option. His window is significantly smaller in the NFL.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
Didn't he get a large signing bonus for MLB last summer? How will that work with declaring for the NFL draft?

• Useful
Reactions: CycoCyclone

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The problem is there's really no such thing as "sure thing" in the MLB. He'll definitely get a chance in the NFL but it'd likely be years before he got to the MLB if he ever even got there. I don't blame him at all

Agreed. It's a QB starved league, so unless he falls flat on his face in the predraft workouts and meetings some team is going to take a chance on him in the first round. Lamar Jackson was the last pick of the first round in 2018 and that got him a four year, ten million dollar deal with around eight million of it guaranteed. Baseball will still be there in a few years if the NFL doesn't pan out. The smart play was football. Good for him.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Didn't he get a large signing bonus for MLB last summer? How will that work with declaring for the NFL draft?

4.6 million. I guess he'd have to pay it back. It's not like he can be a two sport athlete. NFL quarterback is not just a seasonal thing; it's a full time, year round job.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
So are the A's just screwed? Or do they still get him down the road should he switch to baseball?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Have the Raiders said where they will be playing next season? Their lease is up in Oakland and the stadium in Vegas won't be ready for another year.

Last I heard it was down to the Bay area, either playing in the Niners' stadium or the Giants' ballpark.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Hmm, get drafted in the first round for the NFL and make a ton of money or go play minor league baseball for a few years and then get league minimum for a few years after that and then finally get a free agent contract?

Your forgot get drilled in the head so many times you develop brain injuries and can't remember crap when your older and barely walk because you have been hit so many times.

• Dislike
Reactions: dualthreat

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Last I heard it was down to the Bay area, either playing in the Niners' stadium or the Giants' ballpark.
I just googled my own question and that's what I saw. Never understood why they didn't go in on the Niners' stadium in the first place. Of course moving to Vegas with that new stadium is going to really escalate the value of that franchise.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron