Food Vacuum sealer recommendations

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Thinking about getting a vacuum sealer. Never owned one before. Just looking for tips, things to avoid and what to watch out for.

Will probably primarily use it for meats, fish, leftovers such as pulled pork and brisket. I also make a lot of jerky and thought is could improve shelf life there.

Some questions I have:
1. Are the bags universal other than size?
2. Can you boil the gas with food in them? (This is my preferred method for reheating brisket or roast.)

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Thinking about getting a vacuum sealer. Never owned one before. Just looking for tips, things to avoid and what to watch out for.

Will probably primarily use it for meats, fish, leftovers such as pulled pork and brisket. I also make a lot of jerky and thought is could improve shelf life there.

Some questions I have:
2. Can you boil the gas with food in them? (This is my preferred method for reheating brisket or roast.)
I am on my second Foodsaver. They are great for cooking large amounts and sealing and freezing for later use. I can smoke a pork loin and cut into about 6 pieces and seal and freeze 5.
As far as I can tell the bags are universal.
Yes, I have placed the sealed bags in boiling water

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Some questions I have:
You can definitely boil the bags. Preferred way of sous vide cooking.

Costco has reasonable prices on the rolls.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I have the cheapest Foodsaver, for maybe 6 years now and it's treated me well. I've had a little better luck with their brand of bags over some Ziploc brand ones we got.

I recently saw something about 'chamber sealers.' Way more money and way more effort. But interesting nonetheless.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron