Snow Thread for 1/11/19 - 1/12/19

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Looking at radar this morning. This crap isn’t going anywhere. Just going to sit on us and snow all day.

giphy.gif
k

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Do not skip the game because of this little dusting. If you can drive to the grocery store, you can make it to the game(s) today. Leave extra time for travel.o_O

Reactions: NWICY

barryb4384

Jun 30, 2006
Guess I don't see how raw models posted by non-meteorologists factor in to how meteorologists fared, which is 2 of the 3 links but ok.

Know your "forecast."

If you pay attention even a little, it isn't hard. Want to know how much it is going to snow or close to it? Watch a local news forecast 24 hours or less before the storm. This is the most accurate. Why anyone continues to believe or get excited or think the internet pictures and models from 2-7 days out is "the forecast" is beyond me. Fun to look at, but pay attention to actual local weather forecasters. And guess what? If you do, many times they are freakishly accurate. And if you think about it, predicting how much powder will fall from the sky in the next day or two from a system of clouds and moisture that is over 1500 miles away currently.....is pretty amazing. And when you keep that in mind, the times the local weather forecasters are off by a few inches, you still think to yourself....man, that is still pretty amazing how good the science is and how good these people are at understanding the science.

And guess what? Snow forecast for today? Looks to be about dead on again. Weird.

Dress Slacks

Jan 7, 2018
Overland Park, KS
If you pay attention even a little, it isn't hard. Want to know how much it is going to snow or close to it? Watch a local news forecast 24 hours or less before the storm. This is the most accurate. Why anyone continues to believe or get excited or think the internet pictures and models from 2-7 days out is "the forecast" is beyond me. Fun to look at, but pay attention to actual local weather forecasters. And guess what? If you do, many times they are freakishly accurate. And if you think about it, predicting how much powder will fall from the sky in the next day or two from a system of clouds and moisture that is over 1500 miles away currently.....is pretty amazing. And when you keep that in mind, the times the local weather forecasters are off by a few inches, you still think to yourself....man, that is still pretty amazing how good the science is and how good these people are at understanding the science.

And guess what? Snow forecast for today? Looks to be about dead on again. Weird.

Come to KC. Complete opposite when it comes to local TV forecasts.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Snowing along Hwy 20. Some traffic still running hard most slowing down a little bit.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Just witnessed a man brushing off his car by hand. Car had Iowa plates. I was confused as why he didn't have/use a snow brush? Oh well.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Just witnessed a man brushing off his car by hand. Car had Iowa plates. I was confused as why he didn't have/use a snow brush? Oh well.

I never seem to remember to out the brushes in the cars until after the first snow storm. Kinda like I don't remember to gas up the snowblower until we have 4" on the ground.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Just realize by Diamond Jo's I don't think I have a scraper in my truck so if Mother Nature just wants to hold onto the snow during the game that'd be great.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames

Daughter got a car so my brush went into her car, I grabbed the brush out of hubby’s car. He would not have been happy if there had been snow yesterday at 5 when he got back to the DSM airport from Arizona.

Daughter got an nice brush for Christmas—telescoping so shorty can reach the entire windshield. Now I need to return the other brushes to their original places. We had an “extra” hanging in the garage but the scraper part was useless.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Or just click on the NWS. They had some great graphics for the big snow that hit the Dakotas and NW Minnesota just after Christmas and their early graphics had some nice probability notes attached. I was forwarding these and interstate cam captures to my niece's cell who was on the road from Indy to Montana. Hubby was driving so she could co-pilot with the latest info. Was a little disappointed that ND did not have a nice 511 app to download like MN and IA.