Cyclone Fanatic Discord Server

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
I am always on the College Football and College Basketball Discord servers that are tied to their respective subreddit. Has the idea of a Discord server for Cyclone fanatic to go hand in hand with the forums been floated around before? We could have channels specific to each forum and everything. I think it would be awesome to have a real time chat for Iowa State fans. What do you think?

Reactions: algonacy

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I am always on the College Football and College Basketball Discord servers that are tied to their respective subreddit. Has the idea of a Discord server for Cyclone fanatic to go hand in hand with the forums been floated around before? We could have channels specific to each forum and everything. I think it would be awesome to have a real time chat for Iowa State fans. What do you think?
MBoL.gif

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I use it in a podcast paywall situation and I love it. $ part keeps the riffraff out so be ready to ban people if it is free. Just sayin

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Sounds redundant. I mean, we're all already here discussing specific topics in specific categories for those topics. Why move it elsewhere? Maybe I'm not understanding what discord is?

• Agree
Reactions: GrappleCy

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Sounds redundant. I mean, we're all already here discussing specific topics in specific categories for those topics. Why move it elsewhere? Maybe I'm not understanding what discord is?
Seems we have enough discord here..

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-11_12-52-44.png
    upload_2019-1-11_12-52-44.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 28

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
It is essentially an Instant Message server. You don't have to move anything from here to there, but I just thought having a realtime IM service tied to Cyclone Fanatic would be a good idea. It has a phone app and everything.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclone101

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
An example: During a game, if you are into chatting with people during a game, it would be useful to do so in realtime without much delay. The forum still has a purpose, you can't use Instant Messaging in place of a good forum.

CF Shop

Dec 13, 2017
A discord server would be cool. For those that aren't familiar with one, it is basically a chatroom. You need to have a link to join a server. So it helps keep out trolls most of the time. Honestly much better at discussing live events on a discord server than a message board imo.

Reactions: NDMARTIN2015

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
A discord server would be cool. For those that aren't familiar with one, it is basically a chatroom. You need to have a link to join a server. So it helps keep out trolls most of the time. Honestly much better at discussing live events on a discord server than a message board imo.
Exactly, you put it in better words than I did.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
So you charge for people to access the discord server? How does that work? I didn't even know you could do that.
It is through a podcast that I pay for the admin then gives you rights to discord server. There are free groups and groups you only get access to if you are behind the podcast paywall.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
We had chat rooms and things in the early days but the problem is it takes away critical revenue to keep the site alive. Page views and ad views during events like games helps pay the bills.

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
We had chat rooms and things in the early days but the problem is it takes away critical revenue to keep the site alive. Page views and ad views during events like games helps pay the bills.
What about a premium membership with a monthly fee that would give additional access to something like a Discord server? I wouldn't want CyFan to lose any money. The main reason I had the idea, was because there are like 3 iowa state fans across both college football and basketball servers, and they aren't very active. I'm not sure how CyFan was setup in the early days, so I didn't know you tried chatrooms.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
I've been on forums that have discord servers or other offsite chatrooms and honestly I don't get it. All it does is move people off of posting on the message board and in to posting on the discord. The end result is just that the people who participate in the offsite stuff become insular and create drama.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron