Anyone know why KXNO dropped DP's 3rd hour?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Are they on the skids? Why replace the 3rd hour of the #1 sports talk radio show with locals who have nothing to offer?

KXNO has a very loyal following with their local shows and Ken Miller puts together a solid program. I'm not saying this is totally accurate but I had heard at one time that local content actually pulls a better number than the national shows in DSM.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
Local is better....that said....

The Morning Rush is unlistenable.

I have only taken in the Miller and Condon show once and it was only slightly better.

Murph and Andy is Ok

I really enjoy Chris and Ross.

As for national shows, I don't have any desire to listen to any of them.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Are they on the skids? Why replace the 3rd hour of the #1 sports talk radio show with locals who have nothing to offer?

I’m guessing they replaced with locals because they are doing well. Isn’t there a podcast or there’s always satalite radio.

I like ken. But after listening to two episodes, Trent Conden is awful.

• Agree
Reactions: 83Clone and dosry5

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Local is better....that said....

The Morning Rush is unlistenable.

I have only taken in the Miller and Condon show once and it was only slightly better.

Murph and Andy is Ok

I really enjoy Chris and Ross.

As for national shows, I don't have any desire to listen to any of them.

Ken Miller has the best weekly guests on his shows and it's not even close.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
But you still have to have Miller and Condon interview them...

IMO Miller is the best in the business here in central IA. Condon doesn't have your typical "radio voice" but i've never had any issues with him and he generally has some pretty good takes. Ken Miller isn't a Cyclone or a Hawkeye and doesn't sugar coat anything.

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy and isu81

CycloneEggie

Oct 28, 2011
I stopped listening to sports talk radio a few years ago. Plenty of things to listen to on podcasts, especially the Cyclone Fanatic Podcasts.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The difference in production value is huge between the new local show and Dan Patrick/Colin Cowherd. Sports Fanatics is better.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Miller is great. Conden is terrible.

One of the reasons I signed up for CycloneFanatic was because of Miller, but not in a good way.

Years ago, Miller and his broadcast partner at the time -- whose name shall not be mentioned -- were talking about bringing on John Miller of HawkeyeNation, and both Miller and numbnuts were going on and on about how John Miller does HawkeyeNation the right way unlike "those other folks at CycloneFanatics."

So I decided to check out CF that night and I could see no difference between the two sites. Miller and numbnuts at the time were feuding with Jamie Pollard over something and were constantly making digs at ISU.

So my perception of Miller is pretty jaded. He has given me reasons to think that he is totally biased against all things ISU.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Cowherd is all about Cowherd and messaging his huge ego. He sets the tone and I spin the radio dial elsewhere.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
In general local shows do better. I suppose on a given station there is a mix that's optimal, but I think having a bulk of the time devoted to local shows from 6-6, and switching to national shows overnight is probably the best in terms of ratings. Purely a guess on my part, but I'd suspect costs are low to pick up a national show, but local shows probably make up for that to an extent with local advertisements.

Usually I don't have much interest in the national shows. They will talk every meaningless NFL detail to absolute death, and other topics are either ignored or are so poorly understood by the hosts it's painful to listen to.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Because he talks basically reviews the 1st 2 hours of his show in the 3rd hour.

I like the Miller show he has a good set of guests and gets good info out of them. Need to get someone from CF on his show also.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
In general local shows do better. I suppose on a given station there is a mix that's optimal, but I think having a bulk of the time devoted to local shows from 6-6, and switching to national shows overnight is probably the best in terms of ratings. Purely a guess on my part, but I'd suspect costs are low to pick up a national show, but local shows probably make up for that to an extent with local advertisements.

Usually I don't have much interest in the national shows. They will talk every meaningless NFL detail to absolute death, and other topics are either ignored or are so poorly understood by the hosts it's painful to listen to.

Miller has a good set of advertisers. He wouldn't be there if he didn't. I wonder at time how much local ad revenue the national guys bring into KXNO.