Cyclones rated #20 in ESPN's way-too-early pre-season rankings

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
This was just posted this morning - they mention Butler and Montgomery leaving for the draft.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...pn-college-football-way-too-early-top-25-2019

This week the MBB and WBB are both ranked #20. If you're looking for a magic number today...

The only other Big12 schools are OU at #6 and Texas at #8 (But Army checks in at #25).

Hey, weird: they have Clemson and Alabama as #1 and #2.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
That’s huge with Butler and Montgomery leaving. I think we’ll definitely be in preseason Top 25.

InCyder99

Jul 12, 2016
The ESPN one shows my gripe with the AP poll. It's dumb that a loss at the end of the season basically means you won't be ranked. ESPN knows we'll be top 25 to start the season next year even after we lose a bunch of our best players.

There's no reason TOE should be ranked and ISU unranked. A head to head matchup in September when we didn't have our first game and were starting the wrong quarterback means nothing about which team is better today. We played in a better bowl with more eyes and more pressure against a better opponent and lost by 2. TOE fluked their way into beating an over ranked SEC team. We win our bowl matchup 7 or 8 times out of 10. They are the reverse.

Tell me the AP voters wouldn't mortgage their houses if they had the opportunity to bet on a pick em game between ISU and the hoks on a neutral site.

Their are other gripes with teams in that 14-25 range, but of course I'm going to focus on this one because it's the one i'll hear about all off season.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
ToE has lost their entire D-line to graduation-NFL. They only have Espinoza coming back, and he's easily handled. No running backs, a mediocre O-line and no receivers. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Fat Stanley. See you in Ames, donut boy!

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
That's good to see us being ranked even considering Butler and Montgomery both leaving for the NFL. If I were to do it, I would have us ranked with at least one coming back. With both leaving, I probably would have the team just outside (35-26 spot) the top 25.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
That's good to see us being ranked even considering Butler and Montgomery both leaving for the NFL. If I were to do it, I would have us ranked with at least one coming back. With both leaving, I probably would have the team just outside (35-26 spot) the top 25.

#trusttheprocess

We will be fine!

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Yeah, it will be tough to replace them. The defense obviously should be fine and I think the key for replacing Butler and Montgomery is for the oline to get better.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
The athletics Stewart Mandel has his early top 25 and has ISU #14. Really nice to see ISU getting some respect from the national writers.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

InCyder99

Jul 12, 2016
Well, it would be nice to finally beat them. They've owned us in recent years in spite of our resurgence. Need to prove it on the field.
Owned is pretty generous in my opinion. They have won which sucks but outside of 2016 which got a bit out of hand they've just gotten all the bounces. 3 point win the next year and last year was a 3 point game until a 4th quarter TD. If Purdy starts that game we win. If we play week 1 we win.

Honestly if you look at the last 8 games it could easily be 5-3 ISU. Obviously it isn't and kudos to them for getting the wins i guess but any hok fan with a brain (not many lol) is glad this game is played in early september.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Jack Gladney

Oct 31, 2017
I saw this poll on ESPN yesterday. I also saw this passage in the article about Holgorsen leaving WVU.

"The Mountaineers' climb in the Big 12 isn't getting easier with Oklahoma having made three consecutive College Football Playoff appearances, Texas on the rise and Iowa State suddenly becoming a factor. If Holgorsen was going to make a move, this seemed as good a time as any."

ISU cited as a reason to make a move out of the conference. To read that and then see us ranked #20 in a preseason poll? Well, for a guy who saw ISU win 5 games in the three years I was there getting my degree, its almost a dream come true.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Owned is pretty generous in my opinion. They have won which sucks but outside of 2016 which got a bit out of hand they've just gotten all the bounces. 3 point win the next year and last year was a 3 point game until a 4th quarter TD. If Purdy starts that game we win. If we play week 1 we win.

Honestly if you look at the last 8 games it could easily be 5-3 ISU. Obviously it isn't and kudos to them for getting the wins i guess but any hok fan with a brain (not many lol) is glad this game is played in early september.
4 in a row and 5 out of 6. I'm just saying that if we want to talk trash, we'd better actually, you know, win. It was pre-Purdy but we couldn't move the ball at all against them this year. ISU rallied from the 1-3 start, of course, and you can argue that we ended up with the better season but their D-line dominated our O-line.

InCyder99

Jul 12, 2016
4 in a row and 5 out of 6. I'm just saying that if we want to talk trash, we'd better actually, you know, win. It was pre-Purdy but we couldn't move the ball at all against them this year. ISU rallied from the 1-3 start, of course, and you can argue that we ended up with the better season but their D-line dominated our O-line.
Yeah you're right that we need to win. But we will. When you're ahead in both the coaching and QB categories it's a pretty safe bet.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Everyone’s Dline dominated ISUs o line.

• Agree

Help Support Us

Become a patron