Post 2018 NFL season coaching carousel

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Current openings:

Browns
Bengals
Jets
Broncos
Dolphins
Cardinals
Packers
Bucs

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Can’t remember this many openings ever.
If Campbell’s goal is NFL, I don’t see how he doesn’t at least interview for a few of these.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The NFL coaching carousel is just insane to me. I think I heard the other day that at least 8 coaches have been fired the last 3 off-seasons. The Cardinals guy was there for one year.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
If Campbell’s goal is NFL, I don’t see how he doesn’t at least interview for a few of these.

According to Peter Schrager of NFL Network he is expected to interview.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy$

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Current openings:

Browns
Bengals
Jets
Broncos
Dolphins
Cardinals
Packers
Bucs

I wonder if these owners realize Lincoln Riley is only able to take on HC job that is available?

Seriously, I get why each of the owners wanted to make a change but who is going to fill the positions?
Is this going to a musical chairs of the fired coaches just moving to new cities?

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
The NFL coaching carousel is just insane to me. I think I heard the other day that at least 8 coaches have been fired the last 3 off-seasons. The Cardinals guy was there for one year.
That's what I don't like. You cannot expect him to do anything with that roster this year, so what more was he supposed to do in his one year? Owners are too "Win NOW" slap happy now a days

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I just feel like he's too smart for that. These guys just do not last. You go through that list-- Steve Wilks had one year, Gase had 3 years, Vance Joseph had 2 years, Dirk Koetter had 3 years, Todd Bowles had 4 years and was 3 years removed fro the playoffs.

Basically, you get stuck with a ***** QB and a shelf life or 3 years. Have fun.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I wonder if these owners realize Lincoln Riley is only able to take on HC job that is available?

Seriously, I get why each of the owners wanted to make a change but who is going to fill the positions?
Is this going to a musical chairs of the fired coaches just moving to new cities?
McCarthy is the only lock for a new job. Lewis might be an attractive hire but he can’t win in the playoffs. Agree it looks like a bad year to fire a mediocre coach but it’s the NFL and look what the Bears did in a year.

• Winner
Reactions: cyfan21

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
McCarthy is the only lock for a new job. Lewis might be an attractive hire but he can’t win in the playoffs. Agree it looks like a bad year to fire a mediocre coach but it’s the NFL and look what the Bears did in a year.

I'd think Adam Gase is a lock as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015

I have no idea how ownership/management expects somebody to have the current mess in most situations turned around in a year (unless they missed out on their real HC target the previous year and are trying to make a move to not stick with who they settled on which seems to be the Cardinals case?).

It also doesn't help when coaches like Matt Nagy and Doug Pederson turn teams into absolute contenders in 1 or 2 years. Sets an almost unachievable expectation for the remaining quarter-ish of the league starting new.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
McCarthy would be intriguing for someone like the Jets with a young, promising QB.

• Agree
Reactions: ForbinsAscynt

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Joseph was the worst game management coach in the league.

Examples are not getting closer to kick an easier field goal against the Texans.
Not going for it on 4th and 1 and instead kicking a field goal late in the 4th down 4 against the Browns.
Up 10 middle of the 4th quarter against the Chiefs and losing.
Losing to Raiders and Jets by double digits. Going down 21-0 in a game that Denver needed to win to make the playoffs against the 49ers. Giving up 200+ yards to George Kittle in a half (yep, that happened.)
12,000 no shows yesterday to the Chargers game. That will get you canned when fans stop showing up to the games.

Not to mention the year before that with getting blown out by everyone. Denver had talent to win 2-3 more games that I listed above. The combo of QB/HC was the worst in the league.

Campbell isn't stupid enough to interview for Denver's job. There are a lot of reasons. No owner, daughters fighting for ownership, Elway and Campbell wouldn't get along, no QB. I bet he reject's it if Elway tries contacting him.

Denver will hire one of these three:
John Harbaugh (long shot, rumors Denver wants to trade for him)
Toub (interviewed him last time. Woody Paige seems to be hinting he's a favorite for the job)
Mike Shanahan (read below, Elway wanted to fire VJ and hire him in a combo package with Cousins but got blocked by the acting owner.)

Last edited:

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
"According to five independent and reputable sources, Elway and Shanahan seriously discussed a deal last December for the former (and all-time winningest in 14 seasons) coach to replace the current head coach (with an 11-19 record). The contract was not finalized because Broncos’ CEO Joe Ellis, who also serves on the Pat Bowlen Trust board, refused to agree.

Two of the sources also said that Cousins met with Shanahan (date unknown) in a back room at Shanahan’s restaurant and told the coach he would play for the Broncos, if Shanahan would be the coach, at a discounted rate.

The original source said the talks were held because “John and Mike have made up and settled most of their differences” that had built up after Elway retired in 1999 and was named the chief of football operations by Pat Bowlen. That continued when Elway took over the Broncos’ football operations.

The two deliberated the prospect of luring Cousins, a free agent, to Denver, and even, another source said, that Kubiak, who had rejoined the Broncos in a scouting and consigliere role with Elway, might accept a role as offensive coordinator under his old boss.

Sources also supported reports that Ellis recommended Joseph, who had three years left on a contract that pays about $5 mill per, not be fired and Shanahan not be hired. Ellis and Shanahan had major conflicts in the 2000s as Shanahan failed to reach the playoffs, and Ellis’ authority base grew as Bowlen became more concerned about his memory-loss complications. It has been stated by sources that Ellis persuaded Bowlen to dump Shanahan, and Ellis made the call to hire Josh McDaniels (and then fired him in his second season).

Ellis didn’t want the potential of another power struggle within the organization, although the ownership/trustee disputes/lawsuit/controversies among family members are disrupting the Broncos. When Ellis wouldn’t approve the return of Shanahan, Elway “slept on it” on it and kept Joseph.

Ellis has become disenchanted with Joseph this season and, according to two sources, is ready for his ouster. The Broncos’ reputation in the league and with corporations being courted to place their name on the stadium has slipped badly. The Broncos are an irrelevant franchise, affecting the number of no-shows at games, the profitability and popularity of the team and the plans to develop an entertainment center south of new Mile High Stadium."

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'd think Adam Gase is a lock as well.

Yeah, I don't get that. Maybe he was just a victim of dysfunction in Miami, but I haven't seen much out of him that makes me think he's anything special as a head coach. For a guy with a rep as an offensive guru, his results have been pretty middling.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Yeah, I don't get that. Maybe he was just a victim of dysfunction in Miami, but I haven't seen much out of him that makes me think he's anything special as a head coach. For a guy with a rep as an offensive guru, his results have been pretty middling.

Saw a tweet that Peyton Manning is good friends with Jimmy Haslam and is in his ear about Gase to Cleveland. Gase worked with Peyton in Denver.

Supposedly he is a QB guru. I don't think Tannehill has the talent.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
So of all the current openings how would you rank them in terms of most appealing to least appealing? I think I'd go:

CLE - Got the QB, got the young talent, got a GM who seems to know what he's doing. Team on the rise.
GB - Got the franchise QB in place and a patient front office.
NYJ - I think they have their QB and some other decent young talent. The lack of draft capital bothers me a little as does the uncertain status of the GM. You don't want to get hired by someone only to see them get fired less than a year later.
DEN - Shaky ownership situation, Elway might be on the hot seat. Still a very good defense and OK running game.
MIA, CIN, TB, ARI - Tie for last. All of these jobs suck and if I was a head coach candidate I'd wait it out for a better spot.

• Disagree
Reactions: SerenityNow

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So of all the current openings how would you rank them in terms of most appealing to least appealing? I think I'd go:

CLE - Got the QB, got the young talent, got a GM who seems to know what he's doing. Team on the rise.
GB - Got the franchise QB in place and a patient front office.
NYJ - I think they have their QB and some other decent young talent. The lack of draft capital bothers me a little as does the uncertain status of the GM. You don't want to get hired by someone only to see them get fired less than a year later.
DEN - Shaky ownership situation, Elway might be on the hot seat. Still a very good defense and OK running game.
MIA, CIN, TB, ARI - Tie for last. All of these jobs suck and if I was a head coach candidate I'd wait it out for a better spot.

Clevland and Green Bay would be tempting. Everything else--- run far far away.

• Agree
Reactions: flander1649