Spikers continue to impress

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
There are many people here in Nebraska that are jealous that ISU has Christy Johnson. They want her involved in their program.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
NU is one of the few programs I worry about luring CJ away. Them and Wisconsin.

But I can't see it until their head coaching job opens - which will be a while.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa

That is why ISU needs as much of our support as they can get. Football and basketball both help cover expenses for these other sports. Thankfully our women's bball really helps out. I hate it when we get such good coaches in sports and they leave, ala the gymnastics one.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
That is why ISU needs as much of our support as they can get. Football and basketball both help cover expenses for these other sports. Thankfully our women's bball really helps out. I hate it when we get such good coaches in sports and they leave, ala the gymnastics one.

Agreed - and that's what made the KJ deal tough to swallow. She's an ISU alum.

But with CJ - I don't know that ISU would be able to do much regardless. She's from Omaha, she was a player at NU. So it's going home for her. I'm not sure how big of a deal that is for her, but I can certainly understand it. And I'm pretty sure her husband is from Wisconsin and she has a coaching history there. So the same deal.

I do think she's the type of person who relishes the idea of taking a nothing program and making it a contender - more than going to an established program and maintaining. Just spit-balling

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Didn't the team drop out of the rankings earlier in the year after losing to some smaller schools? Are they playing better now?

Yeah - those losses to UNI and KU are disappointing, but not exactly unexpected.

I'm not really up to speed on UNI this year - but they have long been one of the better teams in the state. KU was a hard fought game on the road. I believe UW-Milwaukee is/was ranked. Or maybe that was Middle Tenn. St.

Even so, that type of game in Texas speaks for itself. To bad they have to follow it up with a game against NU - another top program.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
They are still hovering in the "receiving votes" category.

UW-Milwaukee may be the only "bad loss" so far.
Middle Tennessee is a top-25 team.
UNI was better than I thought they'd be.
Kansas made a huge comeback against ISU, and then took a game off NU in Lincoln last night.
Texas is #3, and ISU had multiple set points on two different occasions.

I fully expect ISU to take at least one game off NU in Ames on Saturday night. No competition with football. $1 tickets. Hilton should be rocking.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
If I remember correctly, the volleyball team took Texas to a 5th set last year. There was a thread following the progress of the match. We almost beat them but choked away a lead in the 5th set.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny

I don't think you have to worry about Nebraska opening up anytime soon as Cook is a God like figure. Kudos on the turnaround that your volleyball program has had the last couple of years.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I don't think you have to worry about Nebraska opening up anytime soon as Cook is a God like figure. Kudos on the turnaround that your volleyball program has had the last couple of years.

So was Pettit, maybe even more so.

But I was speaking more to Cook(e) retiriing or moving on. Not dillusions about his being fired.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
There's no chance CJ goes to Nebraska, even when Cook leaves. It's pretty obvious, given the recruiting areas, that CJ has a heavy desire to beat Nebraska both on the court and off.

As long as CJ keeps winning (and increasing the yearly win total), she'll keep getting what she wants.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
So was Pettit, maybe even more so.

But I was speaking more to Cook(e) retiriing or moving on. Not dillusions about his being fired.

I could see Cook retiring, espcially when his daugther goes out to I think UCLA to play volleyball.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
There's no chance CJ goes to Nebraska, even when Cook leaves. It's pretty obvious, given the recruiting areas, that CJ has a heavy desire to beat Nebraska both on the court and off.

As long as CJ keeps winning (and increasing the yearly win total), she'll keep getting what she wants.

I hope you're right, but I don't think you are. I don't think she has anything but good feelings about NU. She had a fantastic career and is highly regarded there. It's her home school and state. And Cook is the coach who gave her her first coaching gig at Wisconsin.

Recruiting is recruiting. She's not going to avoid Omaha just because it's NU's home turf. She went to Millard North - which gives her a natural connection. 3 of our frosh are from Neb, 1 from WI and one from IL - the later two having connections to our assistants.

She knows full well that you don't have to travel the country to bring in top volleyball talent. Supposedly Terry Pettit (her coach at NU) didn't recruit west of Colorado or east of Indiana. And he was a yearly conference winner and fixture in the NCAA's.

If CJ can keep the best talent in Iowa at ISU, that alone will put together a winning program.

Aside from that little essay - I think you're dead on. If she keeps advancing the program, she better keep getting what she wants. If I'm not mistaken, after last season's NCAA run, she got hooked up with another 3 years at 100K per. I don't know alot about coaches salaries, but I don't think that's too shabby.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Nobody peed in my Cherios but..

Didnt they get swept by Texas? Weren't we supposed to be a top 25 team? That doesnt seem like a lot to celebrate.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Nobody peed in my Cherios but..

Didnt they get swept by Texas? Weren't we supposed to be a top 25 team? That doesnt seem like a lot to celebrate.

Yeah - but you have to look a little bit at the context of the game.

I'd say it's a bit like Chizik walking into Austin and losing by quarters, 7-6. With maybe the first quarter being more like 7-3. Final is 28-21.

In the end, it isn't much of a blow out. Not one for moral victories, just saying that not long ago, this was a decided "L" before we left Ames.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Looks like they're offering $1 admission for tomorrow night's match against Nebraska. No conflict with football, so it should be a good crowd.

spanny

Jun 17, 2006
Grimes
ISU has a good history of playing tough against Texas, including a tough loss last year, where we were up 14-9 or something. Same thing kind of happend against KU, but we are really young, I expect a great turnout for the NU game, only a buck. Nebraska is playing tough, but our girls will be ready for a rockin crowd. And hopefully people come out to cheer us, Nebraska's libero, Kayla Banwarth was a 2 time player of the year for Wahlert, and she usually has a bunch of poeple cheering her on. Go cyclones

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I'm being allowed to shoot photos at the volleyball games, although I'm not sure how long that will last if I don't improve. It's a tough sport to shoot but lots of fun.
I don't know if I will be able to make the Nebraska game, but if you have a chance it will be a great time and they are trying to set a state record for attendance.

Kaylee Manns
KayleeManns6_2919_900x900.jpg

Diane Kieger
DianeKieger11_2820_900x900.jpg

Mary Bisenius
MaryBisenius9_2453_900x750.jpg

Rachel Hockaday
RachelHockaday3_2904_700x700.jpg

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I'm being allowed to shoot photos at the volleyball games, although I'm not sure how long that will last if I don't improve. It's a tough sport to shoot but lots of fun.
I don't know if I will be able to make the Nebraska game, but if you have a chance it will be a great time and they are trying to set a state record for attendance.

Mary Bisenius
MaryBisenius9_2453_900x750.jpg

This reminds me of Spanny about to tee off on one of his jump serves! :wink: