Personal Finance Software

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Needing to work on my budget, trying to keep track of everything the way I have been isnt working and takes more time than I can afford right now. Anybody have any tips on software I can put on the computer/phone that will help me track expenses better?

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
YNAB or You Need A Budget. It's whole philosophy is every dollar gets a job even if that job is saving. If you spent $8 less on groceries because of a sale, you have to give those $8 a job etc etc. It really forces you to track everything, I love it.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Doc

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
YNAB or You Need A Budget. It's whole philosophy is every dollar gets a job even if that job is saving. If you spent $8 less on groceries because of a sale, you have to give those $8 a job etc etc. It really forces you to track everything, I love it.

Sounds complicated but interesting.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to

where is that bitcoin nerd im sure he watched a youtube recently

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: MeowingCows

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

This sounds interesting.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Honest and curious question: Do a lot of people budget?

I'm asking because I don't, never have and never thought about it.

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
I track net worth each month, but don’t bother with a budget outside of keeping the monthly credit card statement below a set $ amount. I sweep all excess above base into index funds at the end of the month as well.

how much time do people put into budgets?

• Agree
Reactions: bos and keepngoal

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

I don’t, I just look at balances a couple times a month.
A budget wouldn’t work for me solely for the fact of sports and music.
Take the Alamobowl for example. Wife and I probably spent $3k total.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
How do you know you saved $8 on groceries?

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Never really did true budgeting, was always generally a little frugal and usually knew how much I could spend while still saving a respectable amount. Even when i bought this house decades ago it was a pretty general "yup, I can afford that" assessment.

Did just total up what I spent in 2018 compared to 2017 and it's within less than a $1000 difference. If nothing else I am consistent as heck. :rolleyes:

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center

Kinda have, kinda havent, same philosophy as Doc. But, expenses have gotten a but out of control (not all my fault, but kinda at the same time).

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
How do you know you saved $8 on groceries?

Pretty much every sales receipt summaries with a "You saved $x.xx"

Some of it's legit and some's exaggerated. Grocery "savings" are probably the closest to being real savings from sales cuts on regular prices.

I supposedly saved $10/pound on beef tenderloin I bought around Christmas. Thing is I won't have bought it at the regular price so I really didn't "save" anything, just bought something and actually spent more.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I have a Google Sheet set up that I use to track all our monthly bills.
Not the most robust in terms of using graphs or tracking historical budgets, but it allows me to use it anywhere (phone, computer, work).

I’ve been doing it since 2012 and like it.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I don’t, I just look at balances a couple times a month.
A budget wouldn’t work for me solely for the fact of sports and music.
Take the Alamobowl for example. Wife and I probably spent $3k total.

I go back and forth on this. I do it because I was taught that it was good practice; I mainly use it to see how much I have left over each month, and make sure everything’s paid for if a big expense comes along.

A lot like you with the “fun” expenses - I’ve blown my entertainment budget out of the water this month, and it doesn’t bother me.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron