Recruiting the Northeast

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
Obviously Iowa State and Chizik have ties to Florida and Texas, but why hasn't Iowa State attempted to get players from the New England area??? Alot of programs in that area are staying home to recruit and are experiencing success. Rutgers, UConn, and even Iowa have snagged alot of great players in these areas. Also, their is talent everywhere in the Chicago and Cincinnati/Cleveland area but I can't think of the last player(s) we landed from there other than Bailey Johnson. What are some of your thoughts????

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
That Alvin Bowen guy was ok... :)

The staff has to recruit where they have the most connections and feel the most comfortable. I'm sure they have nothing against the NE, just the way it is.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
I remember reading an article that said Alvin Bowen didn't know what city Iowa State University was located in. The reason he came to ISU was because he ended up at Garden City CC in Kansas otherwise I'm positive that we would have never had a chance at him. He is exactly what I am talking about though. He had limited opportunities out of high school despite being a stand out player in New Jersey. There is ALOT of talent up there

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
You have to understand that kids are exposed to different conferences in different areas. From Chicago through the northeast is Big 10 country... it would be hard to recruit these kids to a Big XII school let alone ISU.

cyfan15

Oct 23, 2006
You have to understand that kids are exposed to different conferences in different areas. From Chicago through the northeast is Big 10 country... it would be hard to recruit these kids to a Big XII school let alone ISU.

Yep, New Jersey is primarily Big East, Big Ten, and ACC country. I know Florida isn't exactly Big 12 country, but the reason we're able to get recruits from there is that there are so many of them and this staff has a lot of ties to that area.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
And don't forget that Schiano at Rutgers is putting a fence up around the state of NJ to keep the poachers out of his back yard.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I just don't think there is the quantity of talent to make it worth really recruiting hard up there. The northeast has alot of schools packed in a small area, so it is rare that anyone slips out...

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa

Your rite-on bro...I would rather have a texas high schooler over any state in this country except maybe florida...Oklahoma has for years lived on Texas recruits to fuel its program...ISU can do the same thing by setting up recruiting contacts aka texas high school coaches...Develop a pipeline of ongoing talent to fuel the football program for years!!!

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
I have NO problem with us focusing on the recruits in two of the top football states in the country, Florida and Texas. And it'd be GREAT if we could ensure getting every player from this other great state, IOWA!

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
We have to concentrate on Iowa and connecting states, Texas, and Florida-not necessarily in that order. Time, finances, and # of players dictate that plan.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Your rite-on bro...I would rather have a texas high schooler over any state in this country except maybe florida...Oklahoma has for years lived on Texas recruits to fuel its program...ISU can do the same thing by setting up recruiting contacts aka texas high school coaches...Develop a pipeline of ongoing talent to fuel the football program for years!!!

I wouldn't mind Cali recruits either - USC seems to live off of them pretty well. Plus, one of our best players of all time happens to be from that state as well.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
I'm not saying we should abandon Florida or Texas, but there is an increase in talent in the Northeast and California. Nebraska has pulled alot of California kids and Cali is not Big 12 country. The only reason I started this post was because it seems like we only recruit Texas and Florida (for obvious reasons---connections, major talent, etc). I think if we even just recruited the Chicago or Southern California area, we might pull some recruits. I see we got a couple of Juco guys from California