Most Reliable Vehicle Company?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I've only owned one domestic in the last decade or so but if I was going to buy a truck, I wouldn't have a problem buying any of their trucks. They have to build these things rock solid since it's their bread and butter.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I kinda worry some about all of the techy gadgetry in the new cars especially the luxury or semi-luxury ones where they keep trying to outdo each other. Had a recall on my Audi A5 to replace some potentially faulty pre-heater. Didn't even know what this was. It's an electronic thingie that gives you warm air heat fast so you don't have to wait for the coolant to heat up. In 46 years of car ownership I've never had a major engine or transmission issue, just annoying little stuff or stuff that just ages out like a water pump or fuel pump etc. In all of the those years it was manuals and I never even had a clutch done. Everything recently, say the last ten years, has been electronic accessory stuff.

Worst unreliable POS award: 1968 MGB*
Most reliable for 100k plus: Tie, 1988 Honda Accord, 2004 Audi A4. The Honda motor was still like a sewing machine but the body had nearly disintegrated from rust. Donated it to charity.

* Also most missed and nostalgic for. :(

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
I had Chrysler's growing up and those things were always nickel and diming me. That plus how bad everything rusted body and engine wise sold me on never going with them again. Wish Toyota did a better job interior wise and made it so taller people dont have to sit bow legged driving but beyond that they really do seem like the best deal.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I bought my daughter a 2015 Chrysler 200 and so far so good
I drive a 2014 Dodge Charger RT AWD and it's been solid

I had a ton of problems with my old Mitsubishi. It's crap shoot in my opinion

• Agree
Reactions: Gunnerclone

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I kinda worry some about all of the techy gadgetry in the new cars especially the luxury or semi-luxury ones where they keep trying to outdo each other. Had a recall on my Audi A5 to replace some potentially faulty pre-heater. Didn't even know what this was. It's an electronic thingie that gives you warm air heat fast so you don't have to wait for the coolant to heat up. In 46 years of car ownership I've never had a major engine or transmission issue, just annoying little stuff or stuff that just ages out like a water pump or fuel pump etc. In all of the those years it was manuals and I never even had a clutch done. Everything recently, say the last ten years, has been electronic accessory stuff.

Worst unreliable POS award: 1968 MGB*
Most reliable for 100k plus: Tie, 1988 Honda Accord, 2004 Audi A4. The Honda motor was still like a sewing machine but the body had nearly disintegrated from rust. Donated it to charity.

* Also most missed and nostalgic for. :(

I have an MG Midget in my spare garage. I usually have to spend 3 hours working on something every year, just to get it out for a drive. Still lots of fun, but I wouldn't trust it to actually go somewhere I had to be, even in town. The only big down side is that I wish it was a B, the Midget has gotten a lot harder to get in and out of as we have aged.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Avoid Dodge/Chrysler like the plague. I'd even throw Jeep in that category as well is you plan on holding it past 60-75K miles.

Here is a site I have used with good luck

https://www.carcomplaints.com/

I will also say that the two mechanics I know best, both say avoid anything with a turbo if you can. Boring, simple engines run forever.

My 2013 Toyota Camry runs like new with regular oil changes and new tires in October

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Drove Honda’s for a long time until we upgraded to the Range and Porsche SUVs. Never had any issues and I’m a completely hands off guy. I once went through an entire lease without washing the car. That was an Accord.

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
Toyota. I changed the brakes, tires, and oil. I also replaced the timing belt at 100k, but that is probably overkilling. I have owned
'81 Toyota Corolla hatchback - No problems
'02 Highlander - bought used and the last owner beat the crap out of it. Still lasted to 160k before trading it in.
'04 Camry- 170k miles still running strong. Owned since it was new. No major issues.
'16 Highlander - 24k miles - No issues and still under warranty.

I would not buy a Jeep or Chrysler overpriced junk.

Last edited:

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I have a Jeep Compass (my wife's car before we got married). It has 93K miles and found out that the frame was already rotting out. Had about $2500 in repairs this year and still feel like it is not right. Do not buy a Jeep.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Ive run four Hondas over 150k, and replaced a wheel bearing on one, otherwise nothing but general maintenance.

The only car Ive bought that turned out to be a real turd was a Mazda 6. Constant problems, will never go back to that well.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Foreign cars: Toyota and Hondas have been good to me

Domestic: Ford

Never owned a GM, but had a few Chrysler products that were pieces of **** (Dodge Neons, Jeep Grand Cherokee). As far as foreign lemons, we used to have a late 90's BMW that was insanely expensive to get worked on in BFE Northeast Iowa.

• Winner
Reactions: majorcyfan

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I stick with the Asians. Have Honda and Toyota SUVs and Mazda for the teen. Good experiences all the way around.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Every brand can have a junker. Usually your best bet is to buy something that's in its at least 2nd year and do a little research online.

THIS. Every manufacturer designs something bad. And year 1 is always testing out the kinks.

Buy a good model, in its 3rd year, and you probably won't have many problems. I've done this for 20+ years, with 2 Fords, 2 Chryslers, 3 Jaguars, a Ponitac, and a Hyundai. And very very few problems.

Probably worst one I had was a Dodge Neon right out of college - brand new, but 1st year. Had some issues with that one, though nothing horrific.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
About ready to cross off the idea of purchasing a Chrysler product again. Current 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee is bleeding me dry with all the suspension and steering rack repairs.

Seriously. Who makes front sway bars that require the replacement of the whole sway bar when the bushings go bad?

My daily is an '02 Tacoma with 135k on it. Just changed oil since I bought it in late '15. Have no qualms about hoping in it and driving anywhere. It certainly wont be a quiet or fuel efficient trip, but you will arrive there to be sure.

• Informative
Reactions: LowOverhead

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I have a Jeep Compass It has 93K miles and found out that the frame was already rotting out.
what do you mean by frame? (sub-frame?) as this is a uni body vehicle there really isn't a frame on it.

my family has ran with a mix a vehicles for most of my life most being Chrysler vehicles and Chevys and seeing 160k+ miles out of all of them without major problems. Parents are on the 5th Dodge Caravan ran the last 2 over 140k(98) and 160k(04) and have a 16 now, have used all of them with light trailer pulling duty even. I have a 17' Ram that I plan to keep around for years.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Have never driven a rice burner. Currently have a Cadillac, Ponitac, and GMC, all with 80,000 miles on them-- no issues.

Reactions: cyfan21

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Dad had a 98 Dakota that went over 250,000. Used it for his mail route, so went through a couple transmissions and an engine, but was running solid till he sold it. Got a Jeep something or other that has been a total junker since he got it new, very limited warranty since it was for the mail route. New Jeep has been fine. His 04 Silverado is still going, couple issues, nothing too bad.

Mom has used up a few, family of 6 will do that. Currently hasa Kia she loves.

My 2000 Buick Century only has 109000 on it, but is going strong. Just need to replace a sensor in the tranny.

Like said above, at the end of the day, they are all essentially the same, just a lot of luck when getting one.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
About ready to cross off the idea of purchasing a Chrysler product again. Current 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee is bleeding me dry with all the suspension and steering rack repairs.

Seriously. Who makes front sway bars that require the replacement of the whole sway bar when the bushings go bad?

early 2000s Chrysler products do have weaknesses with suspension components. I blame a lot of the cheapness issues on Mercedes-Benz, and then Cerberus, MB basically used Chryslers. billion dollar R&D funding for themselves and gave Chrysler the scraps, and then Cerberus was just in it to cut costs and maximize profits as they weren't an automotive company to begin with.

Reactions: JSmoove