Metros with "Most Six-Figure Earners" - DSM #17

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Thought this was interesting. Always good to offer ISU alums opportunities close to the university as possible.

we look at IRS data to find the places with the most six-figure earners. Specifically, we take the number of tax returns with income greater than $100,000 and compare it to the total number of tax returns.

Only 4 cities listed in the Midwest: Minneapolis (top ten), Madison #16 followed by Des Moines, and then Chicago at #23.

Full article:

https://smartadvisormatch.com/data/places-with-most-six-figure-earners-2018-edition

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Thought this was interesting. Always good to offer ISU alums opportunities close to the university as possible.

Only 4 cities listed in the Midwest: Minneapolis (top ten), Madison #16 followed by Des Moines, and then Chicago at #23.

Full article:

https://smartadvisormatch.com/data/places-with-most-six-figure-earners-2018-edition

Wouldn't a more interesting analysis be to take this info and look at the income ratio to cost of living. The article even acknowledges that there is a big difference in making $100,000 in the costs versus more affordable places. I'd be willing to be this map would flip with that kind of analysis.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Des Moines is home to a lot of insurance and banking headquarters so it's not too surprising since executives and higher level positions in those companies are usually compensated fairly well. The % vs the # of returns is where you see some difference as while % wise we rank up there the number or returns Minneapolis is about 2% more than DSM but their returns of over 100k are still about 102k more than the overall returns for all of DSM too so a lot more jobs in that market than ours. DSM is the smallest market on that list too so the numbers can be a little more skewed when you have more diversity in the job market in the other larger metro areas.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
this study is ambiguous to me. It just says tax returns showing income over $100,000....Given that these %s are way in the 20s and 30s, this data has to be based on total return (including couples) data. Most data I have seen puts the 100K in the single digits.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

guacamole7

Feb 4, 2010

Full article:

There is 0 chance that Des Moines has more 6 digit earners than Chicago. Think about that for a second. If it's a %, then that makes sense but raw numbers there is no chance. Chicago probably has more 6 digit earners than the entire population of Des Moines.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
There is 0 chance that Des Moines has more 6 digit earners than Chicago. Think about that for a second. If it's a %, then that makes sense but raw numbers there is no chance. Chicago probably has more 6 digit earners than the entire population of Des Moines.

It's percentage of total returns. The quote in the OP's post even mentions this.

Specifically, we take the number of tax returns with income greater than $100,000 and compare it to the total number of tax returns.

Last edited:

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Read the article. They give their methodology.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
this study is ambiguous to me. It just says tax returns showing income over $100,000....Given that these %s are way in the 20s and 30s, this data has to be based on total return (including couples) data. Most data I have seen puts the 100K in the single digits.

It is noted in the article that they look at returns filed, so a couple filing jointly would count as a single return. In a couple of the city level write ups they even mention the breakdown of how many 100k returns were joint versus single.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I wonder where Ames is ranked. There are so many double income professional households. I know it used to be very high on "per capita household income."

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
That is a cool statistic. I would say that 100k still doesn't get you as far as you would imagine especially if you consider daycare costs, college debt, food, insurance, property taxes, new car, and a gigantic mortgage. I can't complain, but something is still very wrong at the root level, like federal taxes, full-time politicians, body guards, etc...

• Winner
Reactions: cyfan21

Help Support Us

Become a patron