Arnaud for Heisman?

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
ESPN has Tim Tebow 3rd in the Heisman rankings currently, behind Chase Daniel and Sam Bradford. You do the comparison...

Tim Tebow 2008 season stats:
Passing: 489 YDS | 5 TD
0 INT | 59.4 CMP%
Rushing: 118 YDS | 0 TD

Austin Arnaud 2008 season stats:
Passing: 643 YDS | 4 TD
2 INT | 65.1 CMP%
Rushing: 90 YDS | 4 TD

(before you all start screaming at me, no this is not a thread Arnaud should... but more Tebow shouldn't be considered right now. but it would be cool if AA was up there right?)

link: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/heisman/index

Last edited:

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
ESPN has Tim Tebow 3rd in the Heisman rankings currently, behind Chase Daniel and Sam Bradford. You do the comparison...

Tim Tebow 2008 season stats:
Passing: 489 YDS | 5 TD
0 INT | 59.4 CMP%
Rushing: 118 YDS | 0 TD

Austin Arnaud 2008 season stats:
Passing: 643 YDS | 4 TD
2 INT | 65.1 CMP%
Rushing: 90 YDS | 4 TD

(before you all start screaming at me, no this is not a thread Arnaud should but more Tebow shouldn't be considered right now. but it would be cool if AA was up there right?)

link: ESPN - 2008 Heisman Watch - Heisman Trophy Candidates

"before you all start screaming at me" :biglaugh:

Thats a pretty nice comparison as long as it holds up! Granted we haven't seen the best of Tebow yet either...

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Tebow has been, still is, and will continue to be the media darling - unbelievable. Those stats are very illuminating, especially given coach's assertion that we don't even know who the starting QB is at ISU, let alone the best player in the country.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
"Arnold" as the MTN liked to show on the screen doesn't play for Florida. End of story.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
Tim Tebow - best athlete, leader, stud on one of the best 3 teams in the nation. Also reigning Heisman winner, and unstoppable when he NEEDS to be. Oh and Florida is 4-0.
Austin Arnaud - hasn't even won the full time job at 2-2 Iowa State. Looks good sometimes, but never considered unstoppable.

The stats lie at this point in the season. Let's revisit the stats in 6 weeks. We'll talk then. Right now? Insult to Tebow to even consider the two in the same breath.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Considering what teams Florida has played, it's likely that Tebow hasn't even played a full game of football yet. (Except for maybe Miami.) Let's not turn into Hawkeyes here. Arnaud is a quality QB, but like Troy Davis, he ain't gonna win anything unless he leads ISU to an undefeated season in the next couple of years.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I don't think the commentary in any way suggests that "Arnold" is a Heisman candidate, nor is it saying he's in the same league as Tebow. It's a media commentary.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Remove this thread. Hogeye fans will only read the thread title then run back to thier boards to post this.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Let's also let Arnaud make it to his junior/senior seasons before we start demanding Heisman consideration. The guy hasn't shown much more than having a proclivity for the QB position to this point.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I don't think the commentary in any way suggests that "Arnold" is a Heisman candidate, nor is it saying he's in the same league as Tebow. It's a media commentary.

I completely agree. The Heisman no longer awards the best college football player in the country, it's a media tool designed to create story lines for the year so that people are more likely to tune in.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Considering what teams Florida has played, it's likely that Tebow hasn't even played a full game of football yet. (Except for maybe Miami.) Let's not turn into Hawkeyes here. Arnaud is a quality QB, but like Troy Davis, he ain't gonna win anything unless he leads ISU to an undefeated season in the next couple of years.
nor has AA.

i shouldve known even saying what i said that people would blow my simple statistic comparison out of the water. the only reason i used the word Heisman was because that is the source i pulled tebows stats from.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
I agree that you can't compare the stats. Look at the games Florida has played. Many of them were blowouts that Tebow didn't play the entire game. Also if they're ahead, there's going to be less passing out of Tebow and less of a need for him to try to run it in.

For Arnaud, he's played in 2 games where he was behind. Also, ISU cannot run the ball, so all we can really do is pass. Florida is good enough to run the ball when needed, so the amount of passing is less.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
I agree that you can't compare the stats. Look at the games Florida has played. Many of them were blowouts that Tebow didn't play the entire game. Also if they're ahead, there's going to be less passing out of Tebow and less of a need for him to try to run it in.

For Arnaud, he's played in 2 games where he was behind. Also, ISU cannot run the ball, so all we can really do is pass. Florida is good enough to run the ball when needed, so the amount of passing is less.
you could say something like this for every single statistcal comparison. the bottom line is, these are the stats.

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
Tim Tebow - best athlete, leader, stud on one of the best 3 teams in the nation. Also reigning Heisman winner, and unstoppable when he NEEDS to be. Oh and Florida is 4-0.
Austin Arnaud - hasn't even won the full time job at 2-2 Iowa State. Looks good sometimes, but never considered unstoppable.

The stats lie at this point in the season. Let's revisit the stats in 6 weeks. We'll talk then. Right now? Insult to Tebow to even consider the two in the same breath.

I am pretty sure he meant it as a fun comparasin of stats, not players, and it is so good job outta him.

Reactions: dinger

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
The original poster made it very clear what the purpose of this thread was. And yet, people still can't read and thought he was putting up AA for the Heisman.

Amusing.

Fun comparison. And I'd venture to guess Tebow has played a few more snaps at QB than AA has - but not sure. Either way, the snap total for both guys has to be similar.

Reactions: dinger

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Fun comparison. And I'd venture to guess Tebow has played a few more snaps at QB than AA has - but not sure. Either way, the snap total for both guys has to be similar.
i cant find statistics for snaps taken, so the following is disregarding handoffs. and that can sway it drastically, but...

Austin Arnaud -
25 Rush Attempts
83 Pass Attempts
108 TOTAL

Tim Tebow -
34 Rush Attempts
64 Pass Attempts
98 TOTAL

i will keep looking for a total snaps taken stat. or maybe a minutes played / national avg plays per minute.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Florida has 104 total rushing attemps, 34 of which are Tebow's and 5 are the backup QB...leaving 65 rush attempts for the rest of the team. So I guess assume 65 handoffs for Tebow.

Iowa State has 149 rushing attemps, of which 25 are Austin's and 24 are Philip's, leaving an even 100 for the rest of the team. Your guess is as good as mine with out looking at every single play, but I would say it's not far fetched that Austin had 60 of those 100 handoffs, based solely on their playing time.

Help Support Us

Become a patron