3 Guys recreate the D-Day Landing in Normandy at very low cost.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Absolutely amazing how they put this together. I know its done all of the time with studios, but these guys did it with basically little money and a few hands. Man I wish I would have gone into film making.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRS9cpOMYv0&eurl]YouTube - Richard Hammond presents Bloody Omaha (The Graphics)[/ame]=

cyclonemaniac7

Apr 11, 2006
That's amazing! I'm kind of curious as to why they did it in the first place, as in what was their motivation.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
As technology keeps getting better amateur filmmakers will be able to continue creating better stuff.

A little off topic - but did anybody notice that Ryan Weiber now does special effects for Heroes? They interviewed him during the premiere. He is famous for the "Ryan Vs. Dorkman" lightsabre fights and he got a job doing effects for LucasArts because of the work he did in the internet videos. It's actually very cool for him and I'm happy for people like him who can make things people enjoy and be rewarded by getting a job in a field they have an interest in.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
That's amazing! I'm kind of curious as to why they did it in the first place, as in what was their motivation.

I heard about this the other day when I was talking to some Visual FX guys. Basically people can do this pretty easily with the right programs that cost a lot of money. So these guys probably already had the software and then created the invasion for cheaply. Most of the cost goes into rendering when you do this on a film, which is basically just time. They have to render each frame of the film and that can take a lot of time, depending on how powerful their system is. There are 24 frames per second in a film so you multiply a 5 minute sequence will end up being 7200 frames and if each frame takes 1 hour to render you have 7200 hours or 300 days. That's why it costs so much to make these things from FX houses because they may spend 9 months making the scene. That in laymans terms, is why it costs a lot of money but people that have the equipment can do it for basically free if they wanted to spend the time on it.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
I heard about this the other day when I was talking to some Visual FX guys. Basically people can do this pretty easily with the right programs that cost a lot of money. So these guys probably already had the software and then created the invasion for cheaply. Most of the cost goes into rendering when you do this on a film, which is basically just time. They have to render each frame of the film and that can take a lot of time, depending on how powerful their system is. There are 24 frames per second in a film so you multiply a 5 minute sequence will end up being 7200 frames and if each frame takes 1 hour to render you have 7200 hours or 300 days. That's why it costs so much to make these things from FX houses because they may spend 9 months making the scene. That in laymans terms, is why it costs a lot of money but people that have the equipment can do it for basically free if they wanted to spend the time on it.

There has to be some duplication from one frame to the next though right? I mean you look at all the new Star Wars movies and consider all that is rendered in them. A 2+ hour movie did take a few years, but there has to be something that speeds or streamlines the process, no? Of course S.W. was all digital effects, these guys just combined a bunch of real effects.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
There has to be some duplication from one frame to the next though right? I mean you look at all the new Star Wars movies and consider all that is rendered in them. A 2+ hour movie did take a few years, but there has to be something that speeds or streamlines the process, no? Of course S.W. was all digital effects, these guys just combined a bunch of real effects.

There is a way to streamline this all. They'll render a bunch of frames at the same time and they have more powerful machines that can do it faster. They have render farms that people pay to do this. I was just giving the basic idea behind it all and why things can be so expensive. I'm no expert, it's just what I've talked to about from visual FX guys.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
That makes sense and I appreciate you sharing. I find it interesting, so its neat to hear. My current job entails rendering still images for marketing and presentation purposes for clients. It's neat to see such things in more of a live action sort of way using real life objects.