We will be fine

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Expanding upon this...

Those percentages mean something like...

X% = you would beat X% of D-1 teams on any given night, assuming that they give you roughly their average performance, given your performance

98% * 353 (the number of D-1 teams) = 345.94, round that up to 345

353 - 345 = Iowa would have beaten all but around the Top 8 teams in the sport

So Iowa turned in a performance worthy of a Top 10 team. Again, good for them.

We have always known their offense could be elite, and it was last night. Their defense is still suspect to me. They are almost the opposite of their football team.

Ours?

63% * 353 = 222.39 keep that down at 222

353 - 222 = 131

For context, we were #82 in the Barttovik rankings last season. Our play last night was worthy of an okay mid-major team (e.g., MVC, A-10, something like that).

Obviously, put those two together, and we see what happened.

We were not good last night and Iowa was very good. I hope this is an outlier for a team that got a little shell-shocked and cocky, not a trend.

Basically it will be CSP to put the best players in the right spot, and it's up to the players to buy into the fundamentals, ball movement, etc. that produced some good ball over the last few weeks.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I'm comfortable calling it an outlier at this point, as we've played 9 games, and that's the only performance that was remotely like that.

I think the biggest reason for concern is that our schedule is looking like a paper tiger so far. We blew out Mizzou, Illinois, and SDSU, but those teams don't have much on their resume to date. And we had a chance to beat Zona, but they haven't proven much either. You could easily make the case that we have only played 1 good team so far, and they beat us handily. Sure, we closed the deficit in the second half, but this game was never in doubt.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Andy Katz came out with a bracket today, and has us as a 5 seed. So its nice to see the national folks are not overreacting about our loss last night.

Reactions: bozclone

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think the biggest reason for concern is that our schedule is looking like a paper tiger so far. We blew out Mizzou, Illinois, and SDSU, but those teams don't have much on their resume to date. And we had a chance to beat Zona, but they haven't proven much either. You could easily make the case that we have only played 1 good team so far, and they beat us handily. Sure, we closed the deficit in the second half, but this game was never in doubt.

We'll have plenty of opportunities in the Big 12. Either way, I think we were going to have to get it done there or not go dancing. This preconference season has been solid. Not great. Just solid. The impressive part is that we've done that short handed, so I think we get a little more credit than we otherwise would, but the Big 12 is still where it has to happen.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Sorry, we may be fine but this was a 'bad' loss. We can make excuses all we want but were just schooled by a team that we should have beat.

It can be a teaching moment, for sure. I guarantee you if the committee needs to dig that deep it's not going to be a positive result for our team...

ISU didn't get "Schooled". Iowa played as well as they could possibly play and couldn't miss (they were throwing in contested shots all night). Iowa State couldn't hit shots. It's that simple. yeah, ISU was horribly out rebounded, and I don't know why Prohm didn't try to go big, but take away Moss and Bear's freakish shooting nights, ISU has a chance to win that game.

It's December. Iowa did the same thing to ISU two years ago and we all know which team ended up being better.

I anticipate the same thing will happen this year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
ISU didn't get "Schooled". Iowa played as well as they could possibly play and couldn't miss (they were throwing in contested shots all night). Iowa State couldn't hit shots. It's that simple. yeah, ISU was horribly out rebounded, and I don't know why Prohm didn't try to go big, but take away Moss and Bear's freakish shooting nights, ISU has a chance to win that game.

It's December. Iowa did the same thing to ISU two years ago and we all know which team ended up being better.

Just checked and didn't realize Baer had doubled his average.

This game really meant it all to him.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA

The two biggest factors were Moss/Baer hitting threes at ungodly high percentages, and their Oreb/2nd chance points:
  1. Most of their made 3's were not contested.
  2. Out of 26 of Cook's points, probably 8-10 were putback dunks where a simple box out (or his defender not trying to help-block) could have been prevented.
Considering they led by 20 at times I think "schooled" is an appropriate term. Especially considering point 2 above, as ISU can learn from it.

• Agree
Reactions: isu81 and ProhmDate

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Can do. That's all right.

Which is better?

A 7 seed with this bball roster (awesome) or an Alamo Bowl and 8-4 with the current ISU football roster (also awesome)?

That's a pretty damn successful fall and winter sports season if you ask me. Sign me up.

• Agree
Reactions: LindenCy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The two biggest factors were Moss/Baer hitting threes at ungodly high percentages, and their Oreb/2nd chance points:
  1. Most of their made 3's were not contested.
  2. Out of 26 of Cook's points, probably 8-10 were putback dunks where a simple box out (or his defender not trying to help-block) could have been prevented.
Considering they led by 20 at times I think "schooled" is an appropriate term. Especially considering point 2 above, as ISU can learn from it.

Baer doubled his average, and Moss basically tripled his. That wasn't the first game they'd been open.

Pretty sure 'One Shining Moment' was playing over the loud speakers. Anyone else hear it between Andy Katz praising Iowa's 'grit'?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Which is better?

A 7 seed with this bball roster (awesome) or an Alamo Bowl and 8-4 with the current ISU football roster (also awesome)?

That's a pretty damn successful fall and winter sports season if you ask me. Sign me up.

I mean, sure, I'd rather be a 3 seed, but going to the tournament is a successful season.
Like you said, that's an awfully good fall/winter. Add the cross country success in there, and that women's basketball looks to be off to a fine start. Good things happening here.

• Agree
Reactions: LindenCy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I mean, sure, I'd rather be a 3 seed, but going to the tournament is a successful season.
Like you said, that's an awfully good fall/winter. Add the cross country success in there, and that women's basketball looks to be off to a fine start. Good things happening here.

High seeds are fun but so is just a touch of the underdog role which this roster might like.

Also as fans we don't have to feel like, well, how we felt 'that one time' if it doesn't work out.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Baer doubled his average, and Moss basically tripled his. That wasn't the first game they'd been open.

Pretty sure 'One Shining Moment' was playing over the loud speakers. Anyone else hear it between Andy Katz praising Iowa's 'grit'?

If they had played even remotely as hard as they did last night they would not have required a fluke to beat Pitt and would have beaten Wisconsin.

Fran subscribes to the dan McCarney school of being mediocre. He beats iowa state enough, and makes a tournament here and there and the slugs like the ones on here will be happy as pigs in ****

Reactions: kentkel

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

You knew something like this was going to happen. I mean Baer shot a 3 and started running back down on defense as soon as he released it. Nobody will see the same level of intensity/effort from the Hawks the rest of the season.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Sorry, we may be fine but this was a 'bad' loss. We can make excuses all we want but were just schooled by a team that we should have beat.

It can be a teaching moment, for sure. I guarantee you if the committee needs to dig that deep it's not going to be a positive result for our team...
Nobody should beat anybody. You either do or you don't. Every game is different, regardless of opponent.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Just had a chance to watch the game. Iowa played a very good game - they shot the ball very well and a couple of their guys had career nights - unfortunately for Iowa those two will probably never have another night like that especially in the same game. ISU shot poorly from three and from the line - poor shot selection from THT from three. If Lard was able to play more and had another game or two under his belt I think he makes a huge difference on his own let alone when Wigs and Solo get back in the lineup. I didn't want to watch the game but after watching I feel better about the rest of the season.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
THT is a freshman making an abundance of freshman mistakes and shooting absolutely awful.

Shayok is forcing way too much and will be much better in a secondary roll to Wigs when he returns. To his defense, he's never been a go-to guy since probably high school so on the road for the first time will be a struggle

Can't wait for the return of our best shooter and scoring leader.

In that game a healthy Solo would have been most useful to shut down Cooke. We have wings and guards coming out of our ears. Need an enforcer.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
In that game a healthy Solo would have been most useful to shut down Cooke. We have wings and guards coming out of our ears. Need an enforcer.

He's a dude that sets a mean pick and will put a block on guys to prevent cheap putbacks.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron