Big 12 Bowl Games

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Once again our matchups are typically against higher rated teams. Not sure why this seems to happen every year. Out of 7 bowl games, we are favored in 2.

Oklahoma underdog by 14 to Alabama (Orange Bowl)
Texas underdog by 11 to Georgia (Sugar Bowl)
Oklahoma State underdog by 10 to Missouri (Liberty Bowl)
Iowa State underdog by 6.5 to Washington State (Alamo Bowl)
Baylor underdog by 6.5 to Vanderbilt (Texas Bowl)
TCU favored by 2 over Cal (Cheez-It Bowl)
WVU favored by 7 over Syracuse (Camping World Bowl)

So, anything better than a 2-5 bowl record will be an upset. Recall last year we were underdogs to Memphis.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The Big XII has a terrible bowl game slate but I would take a lot of our teams to cover those spreads. OSU +10 is really interesting but they have been so up and down it is hard to say.

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
Once again our matchups are typically against higher rated teams. Not sure why this seems to happen every year. Out of 7 bowl games, we are favored in 2.

Oklahoma underdog by 14 to Alabama (Orange Bowl)
Texas underdog by 11 to Georgia (Sugar Bowl)
Oklahoma State underdog by 10 to Missouri (Liberty Bowl)
Iowa State underdog by 6.5 to Washington State (Alamo Bowl)
Baylor underdog by 6.5 to Vanderbilt (Texas Bowl)
TCU favored by 2 over Cal (Cheez-It Bowl)
WVU favored by 7 over Syracuse (Camping World Bowl)

So, anything better than a 2-5 bowl record will be an upset. Recall last year we were underdogs to Memphis.

That's going to happen when Big 12 gets a team into the playoff, everyone is going to play up 1 game and why the Big 10 will probably end with a decent record again and whine about getting left out.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Got moved up one slot with the CFP.

ISU is playing in the #2 Big 12 bowl vs #2 Pac 12.

Right, but that's not really an excuse vs the SEC (which 4 of our 5 underdog matchups are). Hopefully those teams can represent the conference well.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Predictions are tricky without knowing who won't be eligible or who decides not to play, but here are mine:

Oklahoma underdog by 14 to Alabama (Orange Bowl) - but OU covers the spread
Texas underdog by 11 to Georgia (Sugar Bowl) - and Georgia covers the spread
Oklahoma State underdog by 10 to Missouri (Liberty Bowl) - I think Missouri covers (but would love to be wrong)
Iowa State underdog by 6.5 to Washington State (Alamo Bowl) - We win by 3
Baylor underdog by 6.5 to Vanderbilt (Texas Bowl) - being played in TX is pretty favorable for Baylor
TCU favored by 2 over Cal (Cheez-It Bowl) - TCU's defense will win this
WVU favored by 7 over Syracuse (Camping World Bowl) - could be a fun game to watch

Outside of us winning, Oklahoma upsetting Bama is the thing I'm rooting for most during this bowl season. This Oklahoma team has been harder to dislike than others. Without Stoops and Mayfield, I have a more difficult time finding a true villain to root against.

Last edited:

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Just ask B10 fans which team they have that would beat Bama or Georgia... *cricket, cricket*

Reactions: cycophagus

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Right, but that's not really an excuse vs the SEC (which 4 of our 5 underdog matchups are). Hopefully those teams can represent the conference well.

Its not. SEC is light years ahead of the Big12 this year.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Picking bowl winners are even more difficult than regular season because one never knows their mindsets, whether all the players will even play (hello oSu), and if coaches even take it seriously. .500 would be a good B12 showing.

• Disagree
Reactions: chuckd4735

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Grier is done for draft prep, not playing in Orlando. Throw your bets at Syracuse to cover while they're hot.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I'm glad our staff and players don't share the same small mindset. Welcome the challenge. Where's the fun in beating the Big 10 West teams of the world?

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Just ask B10 fans which team they have that would beat Bama or Georgia... *cricket, cricket*

I Love it, that whole B1G league is nothing but Crickets......They will whine, p** and moan and then turn around and tell everyone how great the B1G 10 is.... when its only a collection of midwest teams who almost always get killed by an equivalent SEC team....

GO Cyclones Smear the Cougars

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
WV is now a 2 point dog. So every remaining Big 12 team is picked to lose. Are our opponents chosen or do we just have poor bowl affiliations? Seems we run into this every year. Our team, ranked #22 plays the #11 team. Our team ranked #14 plays the #5 team. Our team unranked plays the #19 team. And so on and so on. Why is this the case every year? (BTW, I made up these rankings just as examples)

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
WV is now a 2 point dog. So every remaining Big 12 team is picked to lose. Are our opponents chosen or do we just have poor bowl affiliations? Seems we run into this every year. Our team, ranked #22 plays the #11 team. Our team ranked #14 plays the #5 team. Our team unranked plays the #19 team. And so on and so on. Why is this the case every year? (BTW, I made up these rankings just as examples)

OU making the playoffs moved everyone up a rung so it was pretty much expected that most Big 12 teams would be playing up.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

Because we have a team in the CFP is mostly the reason. I’d expect the b1g to have a good bowl record again this year since everyone is essentially bumped down a spot.

Edit: Bill beat me to it.

• Agree
Reactions: cycart

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I think the Big 12 is a lot stronger in the middle than most think. We were not favored in any of our 7 games and yet we will be 2-0 after Baylor wins tonight.

Reactions: cycophagus