We will be fine

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
How exactly did ISU get over 50%? They were bad.

A 100% basically means you are Duke or UVA on their best nights.

A 0% means you are the worst roadkill of the worst of the D-1 conferences.

We were *bad* last night... but still easily good enough to probably beat 150+ D-1 teams.

I think you need to remember how far down the well the division goes.

We will see an apt demonstration of that against Southern very soon.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Losing is never fun. But losing to Iowa is especially frustrating. It seems Iowa is always jacked to play Iowa State and we don't respond well. Or dont play well. Football or basketball.

Well said....this is the greatest post of all time....."Or don't play well.Football or basketball"....Classic Post Smurfie

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think playing Conditt speaks to his focus on the long season rather than the expediency of the moment (and George held his own out there). I found it really interesting that Andy Katz said Coach thinks Conditt can be a real factor as we get into the Big 12 season.

He had some hilarious blocks last night. Think he blocked a guy back in to his face then blocked it back in to his face again when it came back at him.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Is anyone honestly worried about this loss? Seems most level headed people saw this coming.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Repeating but this type of game may have been really good for ISU.

Quasi-hostile environment, other teams' players living their dream, and ISU playing their worst game of the season and still getting it to 8 with 6 minutes left.

Also despite what that POS Randy Pete says, Lard came alive a bit. He just needs someone out there as a compliment.

Lard was the best defender on Cook last night, just needs to get back in game shape.

83cy

May 14, 2006
Alright BB gurus educate me, I didn't think ISU played that bad defensively, iowa just shot out of their minds. Happens sometimes.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This team needs to learn how to defend that little pass out and screen on the arc when the ball handler passes to a shooter approaching behind him and then backs into the defender. They need to recognize after it happens a couple of times and start to move out as soon as the action starts so the screener runs into them. At least give the official an opportunity to call the moving screen on that. They won't if you just stand still or totally try to go around the moving screen. At least 75% of their 3's in the first 30 minutes of the game were wide open because of this action. Nearly any decent shooter can get on a roll when they have open look after open look after open look. The pressure is off as well when your bigs are putting back nearly every miss. You feel like there is absolutely no pressure to make the 3 because you are probably going to get 2 anyway.

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • Friendly
Reactions: TXCYGUY and Lineup

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Seems pretty accurate. Their A game, our D game. Still was a game was a few minutes left somehow.

Expanding upon this...

Those percentages mean something like...

X% = you would beat X% of D-1 teams on any given night, assuming that they give you roughly their average performance, given your performance

98% * 353 (the number of D-1 teams) = 345.94, round that up to 345

353 - 345 = Iowa would have beaten all but around the Top 8 teams in the sport

So Iowa turned in a performance worthy of a Top 10 team. Again, good for them.

We have always known their offense could be elite, and it was last night. Their defense is still suspect to me. They are almost the opposite of their football team.

Ours?

63% * 353 = 222.39 keep that down at 222

353 - 222 = 131

For context, we were #82 in the Barttovik rankings last season. Our play last night was worthy of an okay mid-major team (e.g., MVC, A-10, something like that).

Obviously, put those two together, and we see what happened.

We were not good last night and Iowa was very good. I hope this is an outlier for a team that got a little shell-shocked and cocky, not a trend.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Expanding upon this...

Those percentages mean something like...

X% = you would beat X% of D-1 teams on any given night, assuming that they give you roughly their average performance, given your performance

98% * 353 (the number of D-1 teams) = 345.94, round that up to 345

353 - 345 = Iowa would have beaten all but around the Top 8 teams in the sport

So Iowa turned in a performance worthy of a Top 10 team. Again, good for them.

We have always known their offense could be elite, and it was last night. Their defense is still suspect to me. They are almost the opposite of their football team.

Ours?

63% * 353 = 222.39 keep that down at 222

353 - 222 = 131

For context, we were #82 in the Barttovik rankings last season. Our play last night was worthy of an okay mid-major team (e.g., MVC, A-10, something like that).

Obviously, put those two together, and we see what happened.

We were not good last night and Iowa was very good. I hope this is an outlier for a team that got a little shell-shocked and cocky, not a trend.

I'm comfortable calling it an outlier at this point, as we've played 9 games, and that's the only performance that was remotely like that.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There’s no reason to freak out.

My only concern is this was the first good team we played and we looked bad.

ISU would have looked bad against anyone last night.

Most of the game was more like the last few minutes vs. AZ. Self inflicted decisions plus bad shooting anyway. Way worse defense though.

I'll give it to Cook for doing what he did but if Moss has an average night, this is a different game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron