We will be fine

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Conditt's presence on defense is great. His defensive +/- is stupid high. He could be a really good player once he develops offensively.

I also like that he didn't get frustrated when he got a nice block and got called for the foul instead. I mean, he did, but he held it in better than he has in earlier games.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
Iowa needed this more than Iowa State...and played like it..not that ISU didn't play hard, but Iowa needed to stop the skid and if they lost this there was a chance their season would start the spiral down. Also, they have a lot more Iowa kids on the team. I didn't realize how much this game meant to native Iowa players. Both scuffles involved Iowa natives.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
quit over reacting. Lindell is in his way. Solomon will be coming back to guard some down low guys and rebound.

We had a bad night and they had a couple guys go off on their home court.

In two months teams are not going to know how to guard Wigginton, THT, Shayok, Jacobson and the rest of our guys. Plus two months of playing together.

Big 12 better get their crap together because we will only get better and start smashing teams. Take a breath people.

Yeah, just imagine how Iowa felt after getting stoned in MI last week. Stuff happens. Iowa was hungry, and physical. ISU did not respond. Good learning game for a young ISU team. Need to clean up a few things and be tougher on defense and more patient on offense. Not the end of the world, but it would have been nice to have a better showing.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think we will see more Talley going forward. I'd forgotten how well he was playing by the end of last year. He guards well, plays hard and has that unique float game that I think will really benefit us.

Reactions: VeloClone

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Any idea when Wigginton will return? I think I heard last night that ISU expects Solomon Young back in the next week or so. Will be good to see you guys plays with a full roster. All in all a good effort with that limited roster on the road against a good team.

I did notice that neither team seems to have any guys with much meat on them. Lots of skinny arms and legs out there. Not a bash at all, but it was noticeable. Anyways, I was impressed with the fight and the effort to stay in the game; ISU just couldn't get enough stops and enough threes to drop. Young and Wigginton should address both of those issues as soon as they are available so nothing alarming at all.

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We're still a Top 3/4 team in the Big 12. I'm over last night.

Yep. On to Southern. Repeating but that's good to have a couple of days to get back what was working prior, and hopefully have a flush it kind of game. If ISU comes out looking sloppy again it might be an issue, but they're still in the mode of figuring out roles.

Typically don't but I'll refrain from reading the Hokdom media outlets. They'll carry this game for the next week or so with their belligerent sound bites.

Funny thing is Hokdom will gloat about the Iowa-kid thing for another year but typically their best players are not from Iowa, and the two biggest games last night came from non-Iowans.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Any idea when Wigginton will return? I think I heard last night that ISU expects Solomon Young back in the next week or so. Will be good to see you guys plays with a full roster. All in all a good effort with that limited roster on the road against a good team.

I did notice that neither team seems to have any guys with much meat on them. Lots of skinny arms and legs out there. Not a bash at all, but it was noticeable. Anyways, I was impressed with the fight and the effort to stay in the game; ISU just couldn't get enough stops and enough threes to drop. Young and Wigginton should address both of those issues as soon as they are available so nothing alarming at all.

Hopefully they both at least get a couple of games in before conference. Lard coming alive last night a bit in the 2nd half showed what some time on the floor can do.

Then it's kind of pushing reset on a few aspects to get offensive flow. The pieces are there though for a nice season.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Sorry, we may be fine but this was a 'bad' loss. We can make excuses all we want but were just schooled by a team that we should have beat.

It can be a teaching moment, for sure. I guarantee you if the committee needs to dig that deep it's not going to be a positive result for our team...

I'm not going to say this was a Bad Loss....to be politically correct.....but I will say that if this team doesn't get a whole lot better when conference season starts that it will not be a good conference run.

This team right now without Lard, Solomon and Wigginton is a very soft team and let a mediocre team impose its will on us......

Looking forward to seeing Lard Solomon and Lindell back on the floor like well yesterday.

Go Cyclones

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Wins over the next 3 opponents aren’t going to impress anyone, and we problem struggle against Drake

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Wins over the next 3 opponents aren’t going to impress anyone, and we problem struggle against Drake

They don't have to impress anyone. They just have to happen.

Then it's on to the real season.

The most important thing ISU could have done in the non-con was to have success in Maui and they did that.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I’m very high in this team. What I’d like to see over the remainder of the non-con:

1. Figure out how to get Lard integrated with the team and playing to his potential. That’s on Cam and Prohm.

2. Reign in Shayok’s turnovers

3. THT is shooting 28% on nearly 6 3’s a game, including 3 for his last 20. Not sure if that’s a slump or a good reflection, but his % needs to improve or shoot fewer 3’s.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I'm a little scared this loss may look pretty bad at the end of the year after Iowa's traditional late-season collapse. However, the collapse this year may not be quite as epic as usual. Wieskamp gives them a second player that has actual D1 talent and Douchey McDouchefacey does give them somebody that can sort of run an offense.

• Agree
Reactions: wclarson

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
quit over reacting. Lindell is in his way. Solomon will be coming back to guard some down low guys and rebound.

We had a bad night and they had a couple guys go off on their home court.

In two months teams are not going to know how to guard Wigginton, THT, Shayok, Jacobson and the rest of our guys. Plus two months of playing together.

Big 12 better get their crap together because we will only get better and start smashing teams. Take a breath people.

Agree with OP. We had a terrible night from 3 and were out-rebounded. Iowa was shooting 68% form the field and 85% from 3pt line at half. That is clearly an outlier, it just sucks it happened against us.

This game was a near "Must-Win" for IA and the first time a lot of our guys had experienced the rivalry. I was glad to see it get a lil chippy at times as that stuff is what creates that tension in the future.

I think ISU will be fine, lots of moving pieces early in the season for us and we still have 3-4 weeks to get some of that smoothed out before Conference play. IA looks improved from last year but still not convinced on that team and i do worry it could be a "bad" loss at the end of the year as Fran's teams seem to fold late in the year.

Get people healthy, get to work, and it should still be some fun basketball to watch this year!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I’m very high in this team. What I’d like to see over the remainder of the non-con:

1. Figure out how to get Lard integrated with the team and playing to his potential. That’s on Cam and Prohm.

2. Reign in Shayok’s turnovers

3. THT is shooting 28% on nearly 6 3’s a game, including 3 for his last 20. Not sure if that’s a slump or a good reflection, but his % needs to improve or shoot fewer 3’s.

THT needs to be quicker at passing when the drive isn't there.

The ball movement was horrid compared to what we're used to and it wasn't because of Iowa.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Barttovik gave us a 63% last night -- a D+? Oh my God, I passed!

They gave Iowa a 97%. Head of the class.

Good for them.