UNI Open

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Planning on taking my son to the dome on Saturday. Anyone been to this tournament before? Advice? Do we know who is going yet from the good guys to Cedar Falls? Thanks for any info.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
We have 23 guys registered currently. Names won't get released until Saturday morning.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Planning on taking my son to the dome on Saturday. Anyone been to this tournament before? Advice? Do we know who is going yet from the good guys to Cedar Falls? Thanks for any info.
It is an ordinary wrestling tournament. In the Uni Dome so you will have no problem finding a place to sit. Last time I was there they ran 8 mats, so it was pretty big for an open. Lots of Iowa schools and some surrounding states.

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
We had 32 at Lindenwood and 31 at Harold Nichols so I'd guess we're missing a chunk of the starting lineup.
But expect Carr to be there? I'm hoping to see him more than anyone. I don't get a chance to see the guys very often.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
But expect Carr to be there? I'm hoping to see him more than anyone. I don't get a chance to see the guys very often.

Without knowing if he's hurt, academics since it is right before finals, etc... yeah, I'd expect Carr to be there. This is one of the last Opens of the year that'll have a lot of D-1 guys in attendance so it'll be the last time he'll see a decent bracket unless he goes to the Scuffle (I think the scuffle allows redshirts but I don't remember for sure)

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Without knowing if he's hurt, academics since it is right before finals, etc... yeah, I'd expect Carr to be there. This is one of the last Opens of the year that'll have a lot of D-1 guys in attendance so it'll be the last time he'll see a decent bracket unless he goes to the Scuffle (I think the scuffle allows redshirts but I don't remember for sure)
Ok thanks!

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Scuffle does allow redshirts. Can’t wakt to seen Carr there.

Iowa is saying Nelson Brands will be at 157 at UNI. He has had good results to date at 165 so that will be an intriguing match to say the least.

• Informative
Reactions: skibumspe and JM4CY

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Unless it's changed for some reason, Mark Hall wrestled and won while redshirting. Can't remember who off the top of my head but I thought there was a redshirt who did well there last year too.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Man I hope Brands is at 157 and meets up with Carr - Really want to see that match.

Also, Carr is definitely planning on competing at the Scuffle - I think he will do well there but we still redshirt him (unless he wins...then maybe its a bigger discussion)

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Man I hope Brands is at 157 and meets up with Carr - Really want to see that match.

Also, Carr is definitely planning on competing at the Scuffle - I think he will do well there but we still redshirt him (unless he wins...then maybe its a bigger discussion)
If he wins and beats Jason Nolf, he may as well just move onto the senior level.

In addition to Nolf, Hidlay is there as well as 4-5 other ranked wrestlers.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
If he wins and beats Jason Nolf, he may as well just move onto the senior level.

In addition to Nolf, Hidlay is there as well as 4-5 other ranked wrestlers.
Haha touche, I didn't look at the teams going but knew it would have some good kids.

So, correction, if he places high at that tourney I would consider it then..

Reactions: jkbuff98

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
After seeing the rankings, i am even stronger for keeping the shirt on Carr. The B12 isn't that strong at 57 so Straw should be about mid pack. Should be competitive in duals and maybe steal a spot come B12 time.

Its tough because its not like it used to be where weights cleared out with seniors. Anymore for every 4-5 seniors graduating, 2-3 freshman studs move in.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Team Season Count
1 Columbia (Unattached), IA Coe, IA
2 CRTC (Cyclone Wrestling Club) 1
2 Ellsworth, IA Ellsworth CC, IA
3 Illinois - Unattached, IL Illinois, IL 0
4 Illinois, IL Illinois, IL 11
5 Iowa Central CC, IA Iowa, IA 22
6 Iowa State Unattached, IA Iowa State, IA 23
7 Iowa State Wrestling, IA Iowa, IA 6
8 IOWA, IA Iowa, IA 8
9 Minnesota, MN Minnesota, MN 16
10 Missouri, MO Missouri, MO 19
11 North Dakota State, ND North Dakota State University, ND 13
12 Northern Illinois, IL Northern Illinois, IL
13 Northern Iowa, IA Northern Iowa, IA 15
14 Northwestern, IL Northwestern, IL
15 Oklahoma-Unattached, OK Oklahoma, OK
16 Oregon State Unitversity, OR Oregon State, OR
17 Purdue, IN Purdue, IN
18 Purdue-unattached, IN Purdue, IN
19 SIUE No Match 8
20 South Dakota St., SD South Dakota State, SD 21
21 University of Iowa, IA Iowa, IA
22 Wartburg, IA Wartburg, IA 1
23 Wisconsin Unattached, WI Wisconsin, WI 8
24 Wisconsin, WI Wisconsin, WI

Getting to be a pretty good list. No Purdue, Oklahoma, N Illinois, Oregon State yet

Last edited:

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Carr will be there and seems to be on a collision course with Nelson Brands. That should be worth the price of admission alone.

The only starters I'd expect to see are Straw/Jennings at 157 & 165. Straw needs the matches since he has missed time and I don't think 165 is settled for the year yet.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Carr will be there and seems to be on a collision course with Nelson Brands. That should be worth the price of admission alone.

The only starters I'd expect to see are Straw/Jennings at 157 & 165. Straw needs the matches since he has missed time and I don't think 165 is settled for the year yet.

Looks like Mackall, Coleman, and Gremmel (along with Brady and Chase) are going, according to IA Wrestle.