I Want To See Those Whom Said Cook Was Garbage....

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
I didn't quite understand the rationale of THT on Cook either. I know going small had been our bread and butter, but it was apparent about 5 minutes in that Cook was going to give us fits if we didn't put a big on him. I will say offensively Talen had a mismatch about every time down. He got whatever shot he wanted. Unfortunately they weren't falling.
I thought THT settled for outside shots too often...he has to go to the hoop more often.

• Agree
Reactions: MartinCy

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
True. Just a bad matchup for the Cyclones last night.

Yeah but our defense was just so poor on rotations and then rebounding too. We actually did a good job fronting the post. Honestly neither team could guard each other Iowa just made shots and played harder

• Agree
Reactions: Go2Guy

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I thought THT settled for outside shots too often...he has to go to the hoop more often.

Ideally yes, but he was in some foul trouble and the distinction between a block and a charge last night was a bit tenuous We've seen him make those shots before and but/for maybe a few shots I thought they were all open and shots I'm fine with him taking.

• Informative
Reactions: dexterhawk

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Yeah but our defense was just so poor on rotations and then rebounding too. We actually did a good job fronting the post. Honestly neither team could guard each other Iowa just made shots and played harder
That's a fair assessment.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
And? That was all 26 points!? Come on man....He was better! I hate saying it, but he was....

He looked like a man playing with boys much of the time. But that was largely because we weren't boxing him out. He took advantage of his size and strength around the basket. It might have been a bit different if Young was in there, but Cook was "on" last night.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
THT is about 6'4" or 6'5".
We probably needed Young worse tonight than Wigginton for that very reason. Young could have been physical with Cook and brought down some rebounds.

May not go that far but I certainly over estimated how much Solomon would be missed for this game. I think it was a blessing in disguise for Iowa that they made a bunch of turnovers trying to feed cook early... it probably took us longer to adjust when we needed to because of that.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
ISU was really missing Solomon to bully Cook around much like 2017.

George Conditt gave it a good try at times but obviously doesn’t have the physicality yet.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
THT's defense on him wasn't really the problem, Cook was a turnover machine last night. Between his bad passing and getting beat on entry passes he gave up at least 6-7 turnovers.

The problem was leaving him to contest shots and rebound instead of boxing him out. The end of the first half was a perfect example, with Conditt going to contest a shot he had no business chasing while leaving Cook standing by himself under the hoop.

This play gave me shades of Jameel. Overall he was obviously a very good defensive player but selling out for blocks to leave easy weak side putbacks used to frustrate the hell out of me.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Anyone who said Tyler Cook "sucks" at basketball, doesn't know what they are talking about. But what is the point of this thread? Is OP wanting people to admit that he is an NBA talent? Because he has big parts of his game to improve if he wants to reach that.

I've always been a Cook fan, wished he would've come to ISU, but what're we trying to do here?

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Of all the ass hats that play on that team, I like Cook the most. He was hustling, played well and wasn't a ****...unlike the Spawn of Fran and his minions.

I wasn't sure I could hate a team and university more than I did before last night's game...but I now do. They are the absolute worst fans and players in the country. Also, F KU.

• Winner
Reactions: WalkingCY and irish

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX

Excellent, realistic take and I completely agree; much improved substantive over the "it's their superbowl".

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
THT is about 6'4" or 6'5". Not exactly what Cook would be going up against in the NBA.

We probably needed Young worse tonight than Wigginton for that very reason. Young could have been physical with Cook and brought down some rebounds.
IIRC, Young owned the paint in the game last year. Cook was invisible (as he does tend to disappear at time). 2 pts 8 rebs. Young would have been a tremendous help last night