Iowa State at Iowa predictions.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Hey guys remember this game?

Mannnnn that team, with the style of play was amazing.

I was at this game and Iowa handed out 3 banners for Hawk fans to wave around when they made a 3. There was like 5 of Isu fans together. We had fun with those signs during the game.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
They are weak on the perimeter on offense and ISU is strong on perimeter defense. I think ISUs ability to move the ball can tear up their zone if they go with that. Most of all ISU's identity is defense and hustle, and that should travel well. I just think it is a great matchup for ISU.

My biggest concern is this will be the first truly hostile environment they have faced this year. I think getting out early will be key. Iowa fans are already gripping. If ISU can get out early they could get the fans out of it quick. Give me ISU by double digits.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
They are weak on the perimeter on offense and ISU is strong on perimeter defense. I think ISUs ability to move the ball can tear up their zone if they go with that. Most of all ISU's identity is defense and hustle, and that should travel well. I just think it is a great matchup for ISU.

My biggest concern is this will be the first truly hostile environment they have faced this year. I think getting out early will be key. Iowa fans are already gripping. If ISU can get out early they could get the fans out of it quick. Give me ISU by double digits.

You had me until you said this. Every game in Maui was more hostile than Carver Suckeye will be. Unless you define hostile as 2000 empty seats and probably 2000 ISU fans in attendance.

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I don't know, I've seen this mentioned a couple times and I don't think the crowd is going to be all that big of a factor one way or the other. When I think of hostile road environments I think of places like KU and West Virginia. CHA is typically pretty tame and/or half empty.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
You had me until you said this. Every game in Maui was more hostile than Carver Suckeye will be. Unless you define hostile as 2000 empty seats and probably 2000 ISU fans in attendance.

I don't know, I've seen this mentioned a couple times and I don't think the crowd is going to be all that big of a factor one way or the other. When I think of hostile road environments I think of places like KU and West Virginia. CHA is typically pretty tame and/or half empty.

I understand we all want to make fun of the environment there and it's true most of the time, but ever since Fred turned the program around the hawk fans and players do get extra amped up for this game. I would agree that it's not going to be even close to the toughest environment they will face this year, but it still will be the toughest they have faced as a team so far. I think they will handle it fine, but we'll see.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I understand we all want to make fun of the environment there and it's true most of the time, but ever since Fred turned the program around the hawk fans and players do get extra amped up for this game. I would agree that it's not going to be even close to the toughest environment they will face this year, but it still will be the toughest they have faced as a team so far. I think they will handle it fine, but we'll see.

Fair enough. It is the first true road game for this year's team. I just think hostile is maybe a strong word for describing the environment there. Most of this year's team has seen far worse. Even THT. I've never been to one but my understanding is that some of those Chicago high school games can be pretty nasty.

I think there are a couple different ways ISU could lose tonight but home court advantage or getting rattled by the crowd isn't one of them.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

The talking heads really have to stretch on this...I heard Walters yesterday and the question was how tough will it be for these new guys to ply in CHA, and he was like, “ya sure CHA tough spot it’s been loud there once or twice since 2000”

• Funny
Reactions: cyclonenation5

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The talking heads really have to stretch on this...I heard Walters yesterday and the question was how tough will it be for these new guys to ply in CHA, and he was like, “ya sure CHA tough spot it’s been loud there once or twice since 2000”

Yeah. I don't discount the difficulty of playing a true road game. That's never easy. I just think that as far as where to have that first road game you could do way worse than CHA. It's just not an intimidating environment. If anything, it's probably more difficult to adjust to the lack of energy there. Like I said, I can see a couple different ways ISU drops this one. But if they do, I don't think the home crowd or environment will have much to do with it.

• Agree
Reactions: Gunnerclone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Does Fran know that Walter's said this?!?!

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
They sucked in football and just about beat us. Anything can happen away from Hilton, especially against in-state opponents that feel they have something to prove against you.
Are they going to cover the court in grease when we play Drake in basketball? If they are I will be more concerned.

Edit: I see I am late to the party on this comment, but it deserves to be made twice so I'll leave it.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I'm far enough away to have no clue who Iowa is anymore. The CW preview made me feel better though. Since they couldn't get me the AZ win I'd really like this one. GO Cyclones!

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Are they going to cover the court in grease when we play Drake in basketball? If they are I will be more concerned.

Edit: I see I am late to the party on this comment, but it deserves to be made twice so I'll leave it.

Yes and before the game they will announce that we are assured of being in the NCAA tourney no matter what happens in the game.