Campbell and the field

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I think this year was the perfect storm to trash out a grass field that was past it's prime. I really don't care which way they go on the turf, as long as it is safe and a good surface. Field was in pretty bad shape for the last 3 home games. Even in the WVU game you could see chunks of the turf coming up. Need to make it a priority to get it done as soon as possible.

I agree, whatever is safest for the players is what you want. I am sure the agronomy people will want to keep it grass, and I get that. it is a cool thing for them.

The one thing, I was thinking that could potentially sway the AD is, a turf field would allow for more events at the stadium. With the south endzone bowled in, having concerts in there would be pretty freaking cool. I have no clue if there is demand for that size of a venue in central Iowa, but if the AD thinks they can make a few extra bucks hosting events they otherwise wouldn't with grass, maybe that pushes things the field turf direction.

Looks like the link that was shared with the hybrid stuff, is the field that was put down in Mexico that the NFL refused to play on. Now they significantly abused that field. Plus I think they got caught in some not great weather cycle as well. But with the change in the climate, and going through longer dry and wet spells, maybe that plays into the decision as well.

I think it unlikely right now they change to field turf. but the odds are better today than they were last year at this time.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

lilcubclone

Oct 31, 2018
I would not recommend changing from natural turf. The artificial stuff comes with its own problems and the state had unusually wet conditions this year.

I live in Columbia Missouri and when Missouri changed for field turf the excuse was they couldn't grow grass at the football stadium. That was a lie - the real reason was so they wouldn't have to pay a crew to maintain the natural turf. Missouri has also had some nasty knee injures since installing the artificial stuff. One year most of the o-line was out with knee injuries before the season started.

Poor weather always benefits the underdog and poor field is probably the same thing so I understand Campbell's frustration but be careful what you wish for.

Wow small world, I'm from Columbia, Missouri as well and I'm a senior at Mizzou majoring in Turfgrass Science (don't worry State>MU). When it comes to the debate of Artificial and Natural turf, there's no question what's the right answer. With artificial, athletes have a 33% greater chance of a injury below the knee. Artificial is just not safe compared to our natural turf fields. Another perspective on artificial, when it comes to the shock of the field and how hard it is. If you were to put a wrestling mat on a asphalt parking lot, it would be softer than a artificial field. Concussions are another big issue with it (they are in football as a whole, don't get me wrong). Safety of athletes is number one for groundskeepers.

To talk about the money side of things, an artificial football field costs about $1M every 8-10 years. When it comes to maintaining a college football field, it ends up being around $50K/ year. I'll let you do the math on what's cheaper in that time span. My response to those of you who have brought up how small colleges and high schools are using artificial fields in areas where you can easily grow a natural grass field, I think that comes down to will you have the man power to get the field ready and upkeep it. Getting fields ready is a process for a grounds crew that take preparation, time and detail. Having a good amount of guys to do this isn't always the easiest to get your hands on, therefore those lower level smaller schools will go to artificial.

Jack Trice has one of the nicest fields in the nation along with arguably the best collegiate groundskeeper in the nation. Back in 2012, Jack Trice won the field of the year in collegiate athletics for the Sports Turf Managers Association. That's an amazing accomplishment for our University and Athletic Department. This grounds crew has had one of the toughest falls that Iowa has ever recorded and they did everything they could to combat it. Switching to artificial is not the answer as we've had a tough year and have one of the best in the nation to lead our crew.

I hope this is somewhat a different perspective for you guys to see and I'm looking forward to how great our field will look next season. Go State!!

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Wow small world, I'm from Columbia, Missouri as well and I'm a senior at Mizzou majoring in Turfgrass Science (don't worry State>MU). When it comes to the debate of Artificial and Natural turf, there's no question what's the right answer. With artificial, athletes have a 33% greater chance of a injury below the knee. Artificial is just not safe compared to our natural turf fields. Another perspective on artificial, when it comes to the shock of the field and how hard it is. If you were to put a wrestling mat on a asphalt parking lot, it would be softer than a artificial field. Concussions are another big issue with it (they are in football as a whole, don't get me wrong). Safety of athletes is number one for groundskeepers.

To talk about the money side of things, an artificial football field costs about $1M every 8-10 years. When it comes to maintaining a college football field, it ends up being around $50K/ year. I'll let you do the math on what's cheaper in that time span. My response to those of you who have brought up how small colleges and high schools are using artificial fields in areas where you can easily grow a natural grass field, I think that comes down to will you have the man power to get the field ready and upkeep it. Getting fields ready is a process for a grounds crew that take preparation, time and detail. Having a good amount of guys to do this isn't always the easiest to get your hands on, therefore those lower level smaller schools will go to artificial.

Jack Trice has one of the nicest fields in the nation along with arguably the best collegiate groundskeeper in the nation. Back in 2012, Jack Trice won the field of the year in collegiate athletics for the Sports Turf Managers Association. That's an amazing accomplishment for our University and Athletic Department. This grounds crew has had one of the toughest falls that Iowa has ever recorded and they did everything they could to combat it. Switching to artificial is not the answer as we've had a tough year and have one of the best in the nation to lead our crew.

I hope this is somewhat a different perspective for you guys to see and I'm looking forward to how great our field will look next season. Go State!!

Thanks for the information.

How does one from Columbia, MO and a student at Mizzou because an ISU fan? Or are you solely a fan of the turf? :)

• Agree

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
If a turf field is installed, it needs to be one that does not have a base of crumb rubber from recycled tires. They are considered too toxic to put in a landfill, but somehow end up being used on playing surfaces.

One of the major concerns is the higher rates of leukemia associated with soccer goalies who have increased exposure to the tire residue.

lilcubclone

Oct 31, 2018
Thanks for the information.

How does one from Columbia, MO and a student at Mizzou because an ISU fan? Or are you solely a fan of the turf? :)

Great question. Both my parents are Iowa State alums and I was born in Ames and lived in the area for the first few years of my life. Moved around the Midwest because of my parents work and ended up in Columbia for high school and stayed for college. The beat down we put on Mizzou in basketball was bittersweet, a lot of trash talk with friends.

• Friendly
Reactions: jdcyclone19

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Nice to get an informed opinion. Probably a bit biased toward grass, but for what seem to be good reasons. Waiting for the artificial turf expert's rebuttal. :confused:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

Also, people forget to mention, with High Schools, they do a lot more stuff on those fields than colleges do with their fields. Varsity, Sophomore and Freshman all play their games on the fields, then, when you add all those, plus mens and women's sports too in Lacrosse and soccer, it really takes a toll on a natural field. It makes sense in that case, since the fields are constantly being used all day every day. There is barely time to do any maintenance, let alone have the grass recover.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Doubt any natural turf would of held up to three late season games with the weather we had.

That said it nearly cost us what could of been the most embarrassing loss in college football history.

Hind site is always 20/20 but being old school I've always felt the CycloneTV.com game should be played at 1pm.

In the future we may want to look for a neutral site for a December non-con game.

• Agree

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I agree, whatever is safest for the players is what you want. I am sure the agronomy people will want to keep it grass, and I get that. it is a cool thing for them.

The one thing, I was thinking that could potentially sway the AD is, a turf field would allow for more events at the stadium. With the south endzone bowled in, having concerts in there would be pretty freaking cool. I have no clue if there is demand for that size of a venue in central Iowa, but if the AD thinks they can make a few extra bucks hosting events they otherwise wouldn't with grass, maybe that pushes things the field turf direction.

Looks like the link that was shared with the hybrid stuff, is the field that was put down in Mexico that the NFL refused to play on. Now they significantly abused that field. Plus I think they got caught in some not great weather cycle as well. But with the change in the climate, and going through longer dry and wet spells, maybe that plays into the decision as well.

I think it unlikely right now they change to field turf. but the odds are better today than they were last year at this time.
The Hybrid natural grass with synthetic stitched weave is used in more than just that stadium. Green Bay has it and I believe several NFL stadiums have a form of it. I think the Mexico situation was due to some unique circumstances and poor maintenance. Either way, I dont know much about it, whether it is right for us or not.

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
So the wishes to do what is necessary to keep a successful coach in a sport that we have traditionally been awful at, is bad?
Has Campbell said he will leave unless ISU installs artificial turf? I remember some nice upset wins on that same field over the past few years. I'm thinking in a league with schools playing on artificial turf perhaps the field in Ames becomes an advantage for Iowa State. If they want to install artificial turf I'll still watch the games and pull for Iowa State but realize you are playing highly ranked schools of a surface and wearing shoes they are accustomed to and have designed their playbook for.

• Winner
Reactions: CYCLNST8 and flycy

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
TL;DR

I play "football" on a blue, pretty new turf field, but even with the right shoes I slip and fall on it when its damp and cold. Like others have said - ****** year for grass in Iowa that was overdue anyways.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Has Campbell said he will leave unless ISU installs artificial turf? I remember some nice upset wins on that same field over the past few years. I'm thinking in a league with schools playing on artificial turf perhaps the field in Ames becomes an advantage for Iowa State. If they want to install artificial turf I'll still watch the games and pull for Iowa State but realize you are playing highly ranked schools of a surface and wearing shoes they are accustomed to and have designed their playbook for.

Point missed.

Matt Campbell can now write his own ticket here. If there is a problem with that in your eyes, that’s fine. Just don’t complain when he leaves for another program that will give him whatever he wants.

• Disagree
Reactions: flycy

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

All good points, but I can't help but feel like this is a lot like Hank Hill telling us about why propane is so much better than charcoal . . .

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Did Drake struggle with the natural grass as well? Didn't seem to impede their air attack or ability to score. Suck it up Campbell, it's football and it's played outdoors on grass.

I wish there was a "half agree" button . . .

There was WAY more than just the turf situation going on in that Drake game. One team was motivated and prepared. One team wasn't.

It is a true statement that coaching and effort was a big factor in the game.

It is also a true statement that the field conditions were a big factor, and should be fully evaluated.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I wish there was a "half agree" button . . .

There was WAY more than just the turf situation going on in that Drake game. One team was motivated and prepared. One team wasn't.

It is a true statement that coaching and effort was a big factor in the game.

It is also a true statement that the field conditions were a big factor, and should be fully evaluated.
I was going to touch on this but decided to stick to the field. The field was a factor for both teams and should not be used as a reason or excuse for the score or Cyclone's performance.

I was absolutely shocked how ill prepared ISU was to face against a non-scholarship D1 school. The only reason they're D1 is so they can keep their D1 basketball status. I'm sure athletes receive some academic scholarship help, or some other obscure scholarship help cover costs, but there is no reason Drake should have been within 35 points of ISU.

Outplayed - ✓
Outcoached - ✓
Outprepared - ✓
Out"cared"? - ✓

This game was nothing short of pathetic and I hope Campbell and his staff find some way to get the team ready to play in another meaningless game in Houston.

*meaningless in that it has no impact on the season. It is an exhibition game.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I hope we stick with grass (or whatever Campbell really wants) but, man, they can't let the field get that bad again. Some have said they let it go an extra year and with the extreme rain we've had it was a perfect storm for terrible field conditions. If that's all true, the turf grass team definitely deserves some slack. Gotta tear it all out and start over new next spring.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I hope we stick with grass (or whatever Campbell really wants) but, man, they can't let the field get that bad again. Some have said they let it go an extra year and with the extreme rain we've had it was a perfect storm for terrible field conditions. If that's all true, the turf grass team definitely deserves some slack. Gotta tear it all out and start over new next spring.

I wondered if it was also because we have never played this late in the year. Is there grass that will hold up in December in Iowa?