ISR Bowl talk

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
ISU vs. WSU and Iowa vs. MSU. Both teams got decent games this year.

Both teams have a tough matchup. WSU will have a great air raid offense, and they statistically have a very good defense. Hard to tell if they are as good as their 13th rating based on the general condition of PAC 12 football. They have certainly been handled pretty badly by Big 10 teams the last 2 bowl games.

MSU has a good defense, and so does Iowa. This one will come down to the offenses ability to move the ball and score. It looks like MSU likes to run the ball way more than throw it, which plays into the strength of Iowa's defense. Should be a dog fight, pun intended.

• Agree
Reactions: iahawks

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
ISU vs. WSU and Iowa vs. MSU. Both teams got decent games this year.
Are you excited for your 78th trip to the Outback in the last 16 years? :rolleyes:

Actually, the one thing you have to be even less excited about is the amount of CLANGA you're about to endure. Cowbells galore.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm thinking it would be about the same. Outback is a cheaper destination and one fans know quite well. Holiday would have been a change of pace, but more expensive. I feel they will have 15 to 20K there.

Agreed, all those 70+ year olds don't like change. They gotta be ecstatic with the outback. Probably wishing for Florida though.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Are you excited for your 78th trip to the Outback in the last 16 years? :rolleyes:

Actually, the one thing you have to be even less excited about is the amount of CLANGA you're about to endure. Cowbells galore.
What does the spotted eagle have to do with this?

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

Was hoping for Holiday just because we haven't played that one in 25 plus years. This will be Iowa's 6th Outback bowl under KF. It's a decent bowl against a good opponent. Should be a low scoring game.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Was hoping for Holiday just because we haven't played that one in 25 plus years. This will be Iowa's 6th Outback bowl under KF. It's a decent bowl against a good opponent. Should be a low scoring game.
Probably. I fear that ours will be a shootout, and I just don't like our chances in that scenario. Hopefully I'm overreacting and all ends well.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Probably. I fear that ours will be a shootout, and I just don't like our chances in that scenario. Hopefully I'm overreacting and all ends well.

Should be another good matchup. I don't think it will be a shootout, but can see a 30-27 type game.

• Agree
Reactions: keepngoal

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Should be another good matchup. I don't think it will be a shootout, but can see a 30-27 type game.
It's really going to depend on both defenses. If we can slow down their pass attack, I'm not seeing a lot of indications stating that they have a strong run game to counter that. We're probably going to do the opposite: depend on the run to open up the pass, which is going to probably require our OL to show up that day.

The two things that do make me feel a little better about it are Leach's bowl record in general, and a little bit of the underwhelmed WSU fans and probably team who thought they got screwed/should be NY6. If I had to choose between a team excited to be in the game and a team disappointed to be in it, I'd lean towards the excited one.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
It's really going to depend on both defenses. If we can slow down their pass attack, I'm not seeing a lot of indications stating that they have a strong run game to counter that. We're probably going to do the opposite: depend on the run to open up the pass, which is going to probably require our OL to show up that day.

The two things that do make me feel a little better about it are Leach's bowl record in general, and a little bit of the underwhelmed WSU fans and probably team who thought they got screwed/should be NY6. If I had to choose between a team excited to be in the game and a team disappointed to be in it, I'd lean towards the excited one.

Yep, bowl games hinge a lot on that exact thing.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
I'm expecting one of the more exciting games of the bowl season.....really good match up IMO.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center

Our defense is built for the offense that WSU runs. I think we win. (Im saying this based off the zero seconds of WSU football I uave watched.)

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Our defense is built for the offense that WSU runs. I think we win. (Im saying this based off the zero seconds of WSU football I uave watched.)
I've been concerned with how leaky we've been lately even against lesser offenses, but a month off for recovery and refocusing should help with that. Same with the offense -- has felt a little underwhelming to me, save the 4th quarter against KSU.

Also hoping we have all our guys playing in the game, not like last year where a few guys were revealed as scratches on gameday (obviously there staff knew ahead of time, but still). We're playing a good team -- we want our best players out there.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I've been concerned with how leaky we've been lately even against lesser offenses, but a month off for recovery and refocusing should help with that. Same with the offense -- has felt a little underwhelming to me, save the 4th quarter against KSU.

Also hoping we have all our guys playing in the game, not like last year where a few guys were revealed as scratches on gameday (obviously there staff knew ahead of time, but still). We're playing a good team -- we want our best players out there.

It seems we are more leaky against the run lately, more than the pass. Maybe Im remembering wrong though. Some down time will do wonders for this team though

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
CBS Sports shows ISU as a 6.5 point underdog and Iowa as a 5 point underdog. I was thinking ISU would be 7 and Iowa 3 before I looked it up. I think the Hawks have a good chance to win their game. Mittittippi Tate, when I have watched them, are pretty much one-dimensional on offense. But they are pretty good at it. But Hawk defense would seemingly be a good match.

I am hopeful for ISU that the time for several players to heal their injuries will see us playing more like the WVU game than the Drake or Texas games. If so, then we can win our game also. So, two tough matchups but both of us should have some realistic hope.

• Agree
Reactions: dexterhawk

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
CBS Sports shows ISU as a 6.5 point underdog and Iowa as a 5 point underdog. I was thinking ISU would be 7 and Iowa 3 before I looked it up. I think the Hawks have a good chance to win their game. Mittittippi Tate, when I have watched them, are pretty much one-dimensional on offense. But they are pretty good at it. But Hawk defense would seemingly be a good match.

I am hopeful for ISU that the time for several players to heal their injuries will see us playing more like the WVU game than the Drake or Texas games. If so, then we can win our game also. So, two tough matchups but both of us should have some realistic hope.
Watched 1 MSU game v KSU. Their front 4 is really, really good. Most teams have loaded up "the box" and dare us to pass....mixed results for the Hawks. I don't think MSU does that....they play straight up. The key will be if we can generate a ground game against their base defense....if we can't we're screwed.

I think our D can limit their O.....probably be a low scoring game...it'll depend on wether we can generate a ground game on whether we win. If not I see us losing 21-10....if we can maybe win by the same score.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
So who’s all going to their respective bowl? I’ll be at the outback...first bowl trip.

Last edited: