Iowa wrestling meet

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
That's an apples to grapefruit comparison. Mark Hall also had close to two more months of time in the program, had wrestled in and won the scuffle, was rolling around in the room everyday with Retheford, Nolf, Joseph and Nickal, along with any number of Olympic hopefuls, and had the greatest folkstyle wrestler and coach of this generation in his corner. Maybe there was some benefit, but if I'm going through the reasons Mark Hall was ready to win a title his freshman year, a match in carver doesn't sit very high on the list.

David Carr is going to be a great wrestler and I think we have a good staff to coach him up but, he couldn't win the Nic Open a couple weeks ago and I don't think he's ready to wrestle in Carver. If I'm proven wrong I'll be beyond happy, but I'd rather wrestle somebody too late than too soon.
The point I was trying to make is that even if Carr were to go into Carver and lose, there would be no long term effect. Who really cares if he loses a meaningless dual match in early December?

OOTClone

Jan 3, 2017
100% keep the shirt on Carr. If he goes to Scuffle and beats every one not named Nolf, then think about pulling it. But, early December, for an Iowa dual, no. He has some good results this year, but nothing that screams "pull the shirt because he can contend for high podium".

Agree with crablegs -- may be a tough environment, but it also will help prepared him for future environments. Where it would be happening has zero impact on whether it should be pulled or not, IMO.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
100% keep the shirt on Carr. If he goes to Scuffle and beats every one not named Nolf, then think about pulling it. But, early December, for an Iowa dual, no. He has some good results this year, but nothing that screams "pull the shirt because he can contend for high podium".

Agree with crablegs -- may be a tough environment, but it also will help prepared him for future environments. Where it would be happening has zero impact on whether it should be pulled or not, IMO.
Hypothetically things go our way and Carr wrestled
Lee pins - 6-0 IA
Gomez win - 6-3 IA
Murin wins - 9-3 IA
Degen wins - 9-6 IA
Carr wins - 9-9
Bull tech - 14-9 IA
Coleman wins - 14-12 IA
Cash wins - 17-12 IA
Miklus wins - 17-15 IA
Gremmel wins - 18-17 ISU
Will get interesting if Lee and Lugo are still out

pancake

Nov 19, 2017
Lee pins - 6-0 IA
Gomez win - 6-3 IA
Murin wins - 9-3 IA
Degen wins - 9-6 IA
Carr wins - 9-9
Bull tech - 14-9 IA
Coleman wins - 14-12 IA
Cash wins - 17-12 IA
Miklus wins - 17-15 IA
Gremmel wins - 18-17 ISU
Lee pins - 6-0 IA
Gomez win - 6-3 IA
Murin wins - 9-3 IA
Degen wins - 9-6 IA
Carr wins - 9-9
Bull tech - 14-9 IA
Coleman wins - 14-12 IA
Cash wins - 17-12 IA
Miklus wins - 17-15 IA
Gremmel wins - 18-17 ISU
As I look at previous results, I see Parker beat Murin 8-0 at Fargo a few years back. I know that is dated, but it seems like a winnable match. This dual looks to be a 5-5 or 6-4 (either way) kind of match, with Iowa State threatening bonus at 174 and Iowa getting assured bonus at 125 (with Lee) and 165.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
As I look at previous results, I see Parker beat Murin 8-0 at Fargo a few years back. I know that is dated, but it seems like a winnable match. This dual looks to be a 5-5 or 6-4 (either way) kind of match, with Iowa State threatening bonus at 174 and Iowa getting assured bonus at 125 (with Lee) and 165.
141 is a winnable match, but Murin is a definite favorite. Parker just lost to Murin’s backup last weekend (although he should have won imo).

Really looking forward to this dual. 133, 141, 149, 197 all have potential to be really good, interesting matches.

DCR

Jun 11, 2010
197 will be tough if they send Jacob Warner out. I believe he majored Miklus last year.

133 would be a good win, probably a toss-up.

141 is probably a toss-up too, but Parker has lost to Vince Turk, who is their backup. However, Turk/Murin are pretty close, and a different matchup could mean a different result.

149 is possible, but Lugo would be the favorite.

If Stoll goes, we probably lose at HWT. If Costello goes, we would be the favorite in a 60/40~ tossup.

But again, this is all my opinion. We haven't performed well in toss-up matches against Iowa in the recent past, but that's why they wrestle the matches every year.

Miklus beat Warner last year 16 to 7 MD

• Funny
Reactions: Gonzo

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
141 is a winnable match, but Murin is a definite favorite. Parker just lost to Murin’s backup last weekend (although he should have won imo).

Really looking forward to this dual. 133, 141, 149, 197 all have potential to be really good, interesting matches.
Styles make matches. Parker can match the physical style of Murin. Should be a great battle. You're right, he had Turk beat and smoked Happel.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Neither is free. Either need a BTN+ subscription or FloWrestling account.

Iowa usually has their meets on the radio, with Mark Ironside as one of the commentators. Not sure on channel, but I-Heart Radio has been a good place to find it in the past.
What the hell happened to the good ole days of it being on IPTV???

OOTClone

Jan 3, 2017
Which is actually a good thing that there is revenue in the sport now. It sucks for the casual on-looker, but people can now make a living covering the sport of wrestling. The coverage now is incredible compared to those days. That's a topic for a whole different day though.

Agreed being on IPTV was awesome, but now it reaches such a larger audience. A little bit of a cost, but so much more availability to the sport. Flo doesn't always do the best with their live events, but at least its out there.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Will the dual be on the radio at all?

Only if you want to listen to the Iowa broadcast. Iowa, Penn State, and Oklahoma State are the only schools I know of that do radio broadcasts for Wrestling duals. Though there are probably a couple others (Ohio State, Cornell, maybe Michigan?) that I just haven't happened across.

• Informative
Reactions: CyTwins

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
I used to be a heavy favorite of letting Carr wrestle this year - my mind has changed. He needs a year of development. He isn't as close as I thought he was (contend for top 3-4 at NCAAs). Having him go at CHA for his first match isn't a good idea.

I will put $25 towards our RTC if we actually wrestle any true freshman against Iowa. Any takers?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron