WBB - ISU @ South Dakota

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Only thing icier than the roads near Sioux City was the Cyclones shooting for the 1st three qtrs. Heck of a comeback in the 4th. Last qtr was entertaining as could be. If I remember right our shooting percentage was about half of theirs for for the first 3 qtrs ended up nearly dead even at the end of the game.

Nice place to watch a game, similar to UNI'S arena Donor section is center court floor level looked pretty nice. Good popcorn much better than Hilton's. Roads were fine on the way back. Only thing that would have made it a better trip was if we won.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
SD out-hustled and out-muscled and out-coached ISU. Sometimes I think coach sticks to his game plan too long. I think the world of Bridget, but you can't dribble penetrate when the defense is collapsing on penetration. Guess what, if some collapses on you, a shooter is open. Our posts didn't show up (sans Kristin), but even she looked a bit lethargic out there compared to usual. ISU had better athletes, but it didn't look that way.

And I won't blame officiating for this loss, but it was bad.

EHdakota

Jun 16, 2008
Sioux Falls
I attended men's games at Dakota Wesleyan in Mitchell during the 1982/83 season. One of the guards was a sharpshooter on the 3's. One game he made 10. The announcer would yell "Three Pointer.........Danny Duffy" in a drawn out manner. Danny is the father of Ciera.

Danny's teammate, Alan Miller's daughter, Macey, is a star of SD State Women's team in her senior year.

Just some trivia for some of you who might care.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and BoxsterCy

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I'm probably the only one, but I've never been that impressed with her. I mean she is a good solid player but that's it for me anyway. They finally got it going but just not enough time.
I think she's a great player for ISU, but no one can do it by themselves, nor should any player be daft enough to believe they can. A shot made at the right time may make you look like a hero, but that is all it is, a shot made at the right time.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
SAY WHAT ????

Part of Cyclone WBB culture is whining and complaining about calls when we play a team that plays aggressive defense, or even average defense. It's starts with our own "no touching no fouling" Cyclone defense and it's ingrained in the fans that anything that doesn't look like a game of H-O-R-S-E is thuggery. Whenever we get frustrated on offense our go to excuse is that the other team is mugging us and the refs are ignoring it. Our announcers and coach have perpetuated it for two decades. I don't think a lot of our fans watch any other women's game outside of Hilton. Outside of Cyclone world I think others think of us as "soft".

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
I think she's are great player for ISU, but no one can do it by themselves, nor should any player be daft enough to believe they can. A shot made at the right time may make you look like a hero, but that is all it is, a shot made at the right time.

Then why does she always try to do it all herself? You can tell that Bill tells her to try and take over games. She is just incapable of doing that. She is and always has been a volume shooter. Her stats are inflated by playing 40 minutes a game and taking lots and lots of shots. I am in the camp that she is a good player not a great player.

Career percentages coming into the year: 37.7% overall 33.3% from 3. That is pretty... not good.

• Agree
Reactions: ISU71

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Then why does she always try to do it all herself? You can tell that Bill tells her to try and take over games. She is just incapable of doing that. She is and always has been a volume shooter. Her stats are inflated by playing 40 minutes a game and taking lots and lots of shots. I am in the camp that she is a good player not a great player.

Career percentages coming into the year: 37.7% overall 33.3% from 3. That is pretty... not good.
That is why I mentioned that she needs to be aware that she can't do it by herself no matter what Bill says. I don't like to put words into Bill's mouth since I have no idea what he tells her. When we played Auburn this year, crunch time came and the points were coming from all directions. That is the way they should play, they don't have a shortage of good players this year.

Sometimes I think when people think about great players, they think about Michael Jordan, who was no doubt a great player. However one of the things I noted about Jordan, in the pros he got lots of help from the refs. He also had a good team to back him up. There are no players that can do it by themselves against good competition. I don't think that detracts from the great players.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames

My thoughts exactly. This is CBF's coaching philosophy. Do you ever see her pulled after a turnover? Not so much. Again she gives it her all I think they're improving and are a deeper team than last year which is a good thing. I really am impressed by Joens. Go Cyclones!

• Agree
Reactions: geewago

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My thoughts exactly. This is CBF's coaching philosophy. Do you ever see her pulled after a turnover? Not so much. Again she gives it her all I think they're improving and are a deeper team than last year which is a good thing. I really am impressed by Joens. Go Cyclones!

Well, she did grab a quick minute on the bench to cool off after she had a frustration foul and that was a good move IMHO. She's just does too many all around things (score, rebound, assists, blocks, steals) to sit more than a couple minutes. And we did manage to score 27 points in the 4th, can't really complain about anything in that 4th quarter.

• Informative
Reactions: casey1973

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
Well, she did grab a quick minute on the bench to cool off after she had a frustration foul and that was a good move IMHO. She's just does too many all around things (score, rebound, assists, blocks, steals) to sit more than a couple minutes. And we did manage to score 27 points in the 4th, can't really complain about anything in that 4th quarter.

Who did all of the scoring in the 4th quarter? Then we we got within three - who did Bill call two straight plays for?

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Who did all of the scoring in the 4th quarter? Then we we got within three - who did Bill call two straight plays for?

I'm gonna stop ragging because I think this can be a special team, but this is what irks me about CBF. Stubbornness. Then in postgame - it will be the other players stood around and watched mantra. Call plays for the hot-hand players.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
I think she's a great player for ISU, but no one can do it by themselves, nor should any player be daft enough to believe they can. A shot made at the right time may make you look like a hero, but that is all it is, a shot made at the right time.
If you have watched many games, one thing about BC is that she does what is asked of her. I have seen her dishing for half the game and when nothing dropped, started shooting more. Whatever she does is directed from the bench. Ask her Canadian coach; most coachable player.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
If you have watched many games, one thing about BC is that she does what is asked of her. I have seen her dishing for half the game and when nothing dropped, started shooting more. Whatever she does is directed from the bench. Ask her Canadian coach; most coachable player.
I made that statement in general, I have no idea what goes on as far as game plans and coaching orders. I have seen her force it inside often at the end of games and lose the ball or get it blocked. That didn't work.

Beyond that she is a great player, and I have no doubt she is coachable, one of the best in ISU history.

This game was just a game. This is a good team that I am very happy with, and I think they are headed in the right direction. The full burden shouldn't go on Bridget at the end of the game with all of the good players we have.

• Agree
Reactions: psyclone51

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I expected with our team being much more talented than last year's, with more offensive firepower, Carlton wouldn't have to put up so many shots, particularly from the outside. She is an OK shooter, not a great one, as her stats prove out. She has some brutal nights, like last night.
Confused as to why we had to jack up so many 3's against South Dakota. As I've said before, the difference in our offense from our glory days, when we ran motion thru screens to to get layups, or easy mid-range, or kick-outs, is startling. So much stand-still now.

• Agree
Reactions: ISU71

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I expected with our team being much more talented than last year's, with more offensive firepower, Carlton wouldn't have to put up so many shots, particularly from the outside. She is an OK shooter, not a great one, as her stats prove out. She has some brutal nights, like last night.
Confused as to why we had to jack up so many 3's against South Dakota. As I've said before, the difference in our offense from our glory days, when we ran motion thru screens to to get layups, or easy mid-range, or kick-outs, is startling. So much stand-still now.

Watched #7 Maryland vs Georgia Tech and #20 Gophers vs #12 Syracuse tonight and am not thinking we have the speed and quickness, especially at guard, to play with Top 25 teams. The guard speed and ability to create and to take players off the dribble was unmistakable in the Gopher game in particular. We just do not have that. BTW, the Gopher tilt was a terrific game. I think the Lindsay's are for real.