***Official who should we root for to get ISU to the Alamo Bowl thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Not sure how ND gets in without the extra conference championship datapoint. If OHST and OK win decisively jump ND. I think that's what happened with Big 12 didn't have the conference championship game, we were in the same boat as ND. In the final 4 and got jumped by I thought #8 or #9 OHST?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Not sure how ND gets in without the extra conference championship datapoint. If OHST and OK win decisively jump ND. I think that's what happened with Big 12 didn't have the conference championship game, we were in the same boat as ND. In the final 4 and got jumped by I thought #8 or #9 OHST?

A little different Notre Dame being undefeated.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Just out of curiosity, does anybody know an estimate of how many we sold for Memphis?
Liberty Bowl seats just over 60,000, and I'd say it was about 55% Memphis fans to 45% ISU fans. Maybe 60-40 at most. So, 25,000 seems about right.

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
The Ohio State game SHOULDN'T matter even if they win by 1,000,000. They got curbstomped by a crap 6-6 Purdue team, SHOULD BE the end of the story.

Exactly! The committee has already determined that up to this point, OU has a better resume than Ohio State. What happens this week is all that should matter. The Michigan win is now in the rear view mirror. OU plays a more difficult opponent and if they win a close game (likely outcome) and Ohio State wins by 4 TDs (likely outcome) it shouldn't matter, OU should be in.

All of the Ohio State grandstanding and selective arguing by Big10 fanboys is frustrating. The company line for OSU is the "eye test", how good they look, and how much talent they have compared to OU. (The argument worked against TCU/Baylor, but it shouldn't against OU) Further, the anti-OU defense sentiment is laughable, considering Ohio State has also performed like a sieve against worse offenses.

I'm beating a dead horse, but this is vitally important, because it means the Big 12 either gets 1 playoff team + 1 NY6 team, or just 1 NY6 team. (assuming OU wins) That has massive implications for both the Big 12 ($ and perception) and Iowa State in bowl pecking order.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The rankings revealed yesterday certainly didn’t do Ohio State any favors. We got the obvious Teams 1-6, but the interesting thing is Texas and Northwestern: Texas held steady at 14, but Northwestern dropped 2 spots to 21 after their close scrape with Illinois. IIRC a number of people were predicting NU to jump into the mid-teens to give OSU an advantage; that didn’t happen.

• Informative
Reactions: CRcyclone6

cyworship

Jan 10, 2009
Omaha, NE
I assume you are making a joke about this:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400609096

It shouldn't have mattered that year either, but somehow it did.

Others can correct me if I am wrong but I believe part of the issue in 2014 was the big 12 did not have a clear champion. TCU had lost to Baylor and then Baylor proceeded to lose to WVU. So the conference called them co-champions. Most thought that Baylor should go since they had beat TCU but going into champ week TCU was the higher ranked team.

Ohio State had lost to a 7-6 Va Tech, Baylor to a 7-6 WVU, and TCU to Baylor. How do you pick? Well since the Big 12 no longer had 12 teams it could not have divisions and without divisions it couldn’t have a champ game. In their champ game Ohio State proceded to thump a decent Wisconsin team. So the committee basically punished the Big 12 for not having a champ game to clearly define our champ even though having that champ game would have been against the rules at the time since we only had 10 teams.

This year will be different because we are now allowed to have a champ game with only 10 teams. So if OU wins the big 12 will have a clear champ, that champ will also have been the regular season champ, and they would be avenging their only loss to a 9 win team. Take into account tOSU only loss is to a 6-6 team and Bama beats Georgia, I have faith the committee will make the right decision and put OU in four spot. I am disappointed where Texas is in the rankings right now though. Their SOS should have them higher and would be a better win for OU and could have kept Texas in NY6 even after an OU loss.

So the biggest question I have is does the Alamo pick us or do they pick WVU? I’m optimistic but really not sure.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Others can correct me if I am wrong but I believe part of the issue in 2014 was the big 12 did not have a clear champion. TCU had lost to Baylor and then Baylor proceeded to lose to WVU. So the conference called them co-champions. Most thought that Baylor should go since they had beat TCU but going into champ week TCU was the higher ranked team.

Ohio State had lost to a 7-6 Va Tech, Baylor to a 7-6 WVU, and TCU to Baylor. How do you pick? Well since the Big 12 no longer had 12 teams it could not have divisions and without divisions it couldn’t have a champ game. In their champ game Ohio State proceded to thump a decent Wisconsin team. So the committee basically punished the Big 12 for not having a champ game to clearly define our champ even though having that champ game would have been against the rules at the time since we only had 10 teams.

This year will be different because we are now allowed to have a champ game with only 10 teams. So if OU wins the big 12 will have a clear champ, that champ will also have been the regular season champ, and they would be avenging their only loss to a 9 win team. Take into account tOSU only loss is to a 6-6 team and Bama beats Georgia, I have faith the committee will make the right decision and put OU in four spot. I am disappointed where Texas is in the rankings right now though. Their SOS should have them higher and would be a better win for OU and could have kept Texas in NY6 even after an OU loss.

So the biggest question I have is does the Alamo pick us or do they pick WVU? I’m optimistic but really not sure.
That was just noise. It wasn't long and they were putting in teams who hadn't even qualified for their league's Championship game. They knew who they wanted and could concoct an excuse for whoever they decided to put in there. It is ridiculous that a team's resume suddenly becomes better the moment a league declares the team the conference champ even though no further games have been played. Can anyone say with a straight face that that would have made a modicum of difference?

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Is this a joke? I think we'd sell 25,000.

As Pollard told the story, the Alamo Bowl rep was serious about the 12,000. Pollard had a nice smirk when he repeated his answer of "wanting all 12,000" because he knew that would be just the beginning for us.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Georgia was jumped to #4 for a reason.

They're hoping to go two SEC, ND, and Clemson.

Well they were 5th the week before with the 4th ranked team losing. Not exactly ground breaking.

• Agree
Reactions: CRcyclone6

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Agree, but if GA can keep it close or beat Bama it could solve the OU/OSU dilemma.

I don't think I'd have a gripe leaving Georgia in if they had a close loss. My only thing is would the committee have Georgia/Bama play two games in a row? I know it's a month a part, but a new opponent might be better.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I don't think I'd have a gripe leaving Georgia in if they had a close loss. My only thing is would the committee have Georgia/Bama play two games in a row? I know it's a month a part, but a new opponent might be better.

Georgia won't get in by losing but if they win they'll be 1 and Bama will be 4.