I hate the two-week layover after this loss

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Istate

Jul 15, 2008
I think the clones were in a funk still from Iowa in the first half. In the second half, we played better and UNLV pulled a Colorado giving us a chance. However, that's the kind of loss that can really kill a team. You make that big of a run, especially the final drive, and lose? That hurts the psyche, and they have two weeks to dwell on it. Even worse, we've got Kansas waiting.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I think the clones were in a funk still from Iowa in the first half. In the second half, we played better and UNLV pulled a Colorado giving us a chance. However, that's the kind of loss that can really kill a team. You make that big of a run, especially the final drive, and lose? That hurts the psyche, and they have two weeks to dwell on it. Even worse, we've got Kansas waiting.

I hope ISU manhandles Kansas. I think their offense is going to be too much though. I do not think their defense is as good as last year though. I think the over/under should be about 60. I believe KU has a bye week also, so both teams should be able to heal up and be about as ready to go as you can be for a conference opener.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
I like the two week layoff. Let's face it, McFarland and Bolt need to step it up and earn their money. We looked horribly out coached in the first half. UNLV had receivers open with no one within 15 yards, they ran the same run about end over and over again and our offense looked pathetic. I'm a huge supporter, but lets be real here, our coaching does not look ready for D1 yet. Maybe they can step it up in the next two weeks. They'd better.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
You can also argue that it gives them confidence that they can come back from a significant deficit and give themselves a fighting chance. Obviously, there are lots of things to fix. This will probably not be the last time we endure a loss like this in 2008, either. Our guys are still young. Hopefully, a return home will help cure some ills.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
While id like to see ISU right back at it after the loss, it gives them 2 weeks to prepare and study for kansas. Considering that offense, i believe it will be beneficial.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
KU will be very difficult for this D.

Optimistically, I think we will be able to score pts. against KU.

Early prediction: KU 38 ISU 27

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
While id like to see ISU right back at it after the loss, it gives them 2 weeks to prepare and study for kansas. Considering that offense, i believe it will be beneficial.

I hope you realize that Kansas also has an off week this week, so they have two weeks to prepare for us.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I hope you realize that Kansas also has an off week this week, so they have two weeks to prepare for us.

That has little to do with the fact that we can use the extra time to prepare for them. :wink: Frankly, when it all comes down to it, I think that GC will let it all hang out this game.

Thi sis not the Kansas of last year, for a change, we're not going to be facing the dynamic rushing game of the past few weeks, and while LJ's suspension hurts depth against a spread, we still have better corners than a year ago. This offense is better than most people see to think, I think we may have just seen Austen's Coming of Age.

Which adds up to damn fine game in two weeks--and Chizik, McFarland, Bolt and Company have two weeks to iron out more wrinkles.

In case you haven't noticed, despite being flat in the first half, this team has clearly progressed from Week One. Improvement will continue.

And they won't dwell on the first half, they'll ride the momentum of the second half, and use the spark of disappointment from overtime as incentive to make it over the hump, and win a big game at home for themselves, for their fans, and for the whole Cyclone community.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Good time for the team to soul search.

We played pretty well with out LJ last night, so not too worried about our defense.

We're 2-2 which is better than we were a year ago at this time. Small victories, small victories.:smile:

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
KU is definitely beatable. They've really struggled running the ball (although we've struggled to stop it...) and SHSU moved the ball through the air against them last night. However, KU's passing game is still very, very dangerous and will probably put quite a few points on the board. Tough game but winnable if we play well for the entire game and finish drives.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
KU is definitely beatable. They've really struggled running the ball (although we've struggled to stop it...) and SHSU moved the ball through the air against them last night. However, KU's passing game is still very, very dangerous and will probably put quite a few points on the board. Tough game but winnable if we play well for the entire game and finish drives.
SHSU moved the ball with Rhett Bomar at QB. He is a very good QB. Some of the passes he was making last night, there is nobody close to being able to make those on our team right now.

That being said, KU isn't the same team they were last year, but I still think it's a bit too much to say we will win. KU by 7-10 would be my bet.