Thoughts on improvements over last years team and or set backs?

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Whats your take on this team so far compared to 2007?
I guess i could go all stat crazy, but just some gut feelings on this team. Maybe its too early to make this comparison since conference play hasn't heated up yet

Positives
-This team manages to sustain drives much better, and controls the clock better. Honestly I have more confidence in them moving the ball than the 07 squad.
-The offense looks much more sharp/crisp. Not to say they don't have their share of issues, but its a better oiled machine even with young kids at the helm.
-The defense really ball hawks and is more aggressive. This unit will be harder to throw on.
-Playcalling. last year I saw countless times where Myer threw to Blythe or Hamilton quickly out in the flat for 2 yards and the WR didnt break free or the other WR didnt block. Really havent seen much of that futility this year. WRs are getting out in space and this offense is way more vertical.
Negatives
-The Defense is worse than last year in stuffing the run and over pursuing.
-Lacking experience will probably lead to a couple frustrating late game losses down the stretch. I feel a Myer/Blythe combo woulda had a bit more success @ Iowa last week in the red zone.

Undecided
-Special teams play. ISU seemingly has been getting better field position on kick returns and doesn't constantly get gouged by the opposition returning kicks to the 35 all day. Brandtner has been punting well, but punt coverage still has me nervous.

Last edited:

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Special teams are definitely improved.

Disagree on the Meyer/Blythe comment as well.

Otherwise I agree with the rest.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Arnaud is so far ahead of Meyer as a competitor and an athlete right now, imo. Case in point: Arnaud's first TD run. He looked like a fullback just putting his head down, running people over, and willing his way into the endzone. He really carried that offense, something Meyer never really did.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I would have to agree with others that Meyer has already been passed. He was very one dimensional, didn't check his receivers and only went down hill after his sophomore season. I don't want to knock him because he represented us well as a person, but he was incredibly over-rated the past two years.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
last year we had 3 losses to uni, kent state and toledo-only one of which we should have won.

this year we have 2 losses, to iowa and an upstart unlv team, both of which i truly think we should have won.

last night was an excruciatingly tough loss. the road loss streak should have come to an end, and we came in unprepared. this is a very young team that i think still doesn't know how to win games.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
A Better Team

This is a better team. The inconsistency of play is the biggest concern to me.

I do think that if Chizek is going to get ISU to become a 6-8 win team our o-line & defensive front 7 need to play a ton better.

I think the o-line can get there with guys that are already on the team. Not sure if we have the guys in the program to become a solid defensive unit. Seems to me our d-line just goes with the flow of the offensive play call. I'd like to see a d-line that is physical enough that can blow-up the line of scrimmage.

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
If the process of developing AA into the best QB he can be is to continue he needs to be the #1 QB. I think the splitting or sharing of QB snaps in game should be over. AA is the better passer and Bates needs to fall into a role similar to Percy Harvin from Fla. where the offense designs plays to get him the ball in space.

ArathornClone

Oct 10, 2006
I would have to agree with others that Meyer has already been passed. He was very one dimensional, didn't check his receivers and only went down hill after his sophomore season. I don't want to knock him because he represented us well as a person, but he was incredibly over-rated the past two years.

Actually, AA reminds me alot of BM his sophomore season. I know it was awhile ago but he was a gamer that year. Agree that Austen will hopefully keep rising and not plateau as Meyer did.

Also, while the offense looked good in the 2nd half - overall they are not consistent enough. 3rd down conversions and red zone offense still concern me. especially 3rd downs.

One thing I noticed in the 1st 2 games was that we rarely had a 3rd and long. It was usually 3rd and short or we got first downs before we even got to 3rd down. Since Iowa their have been far too many 3rd and 10, 3rd and 8, etc. That is something that last year's offense faced alot. It has me concerned a great deal.

My prediction is J.J. Bass (with A-Rob mixed in) will be the remedy.

Side note: I really wish McFarland would have ran the ball with Bass in OT. That front 7 for UNLV was tired and our OL was owning them in the 2nd. The fade to Darks I just don't get -(where was Sed all night?) Oh well, we were lucky to even be in that spot.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Actually, AA reminds me alot of BM his sophomore season. I know it was awhile ago but he was a gamer that year. Agree that Austen will hopefully keep rising and not plateau as Meyer did.

I agree- I still think Bret fed off of Blythe, and I don't think Todd was ever quite the same after the injury.

Also, while the offense looked good in the 2nd half - overall they are not consistent enough. 3rd down conversions and red zone offense still concern me. especially 3rd downs.

One thing I noticed in the 1st 2 games was that we rarely had a 3rd and long. It was usually 3rd and short or we got first downs before we even got to 3rd down. Since Iowa their have been far too many 3rd and 10, 3rd and 8, etc. That is something that last year's offense faced alot. It has me concerned a great deal.

My prediction is J.J. Bass (with A-Rob mixed in) will be the remedy.

This is a great 1/2 punch that will help us down the road. JJ ran hard last night!

Side note: I really wish McFarland would have ran the ball with Bass in OT. That front 7 for UNLV was tired and our OL was owning them in the 2nd. The fade to Darks I just don't get -(where was Sed all night?) Oh well, we were lucky to even be in that spot.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Looking at the drive charts from last night...TD drives of 94, 80, 10, and 98.

07 offense doesnt do that. i think playcalling realy handcuffed Myer/Blythe. all those quick short passes out in the flat and plays that required another WR to block. The playbook has been opened a ton. I think that also has a lot to do with many more 3rd and short situations.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Idk meyer was always getting sacked.

There. Fixed that for ya.

Negatives
-The Defense is worse than last year in stuffing the run and over pursuing.

That's "over last year". However, in case you hadn't noticed, there's been a week-to-week improvement. Sure, Summers gained a hundred yards, but he only averaged 4.0 ypc. Clayton is a speedy, elusive quarterback, and he only averaged 3.4 ypc. Both of these on UNLV's home field. That improvement will continue.
-Lacking experience will probably lead to a couple frustrating late game losses down the stretch. I feel a Myer/Blythe combo woulda had a bit more success @ Iowa last week in the red zone.

Conversely, that same youth will probably offer one exciting, thrilling win (likely at home) that they shouldn't have had. It works both ways.
Undecided
-Special teams play. ISU seemingly has been getting better field position on kick returns and doesn't constantly get gouged by the opposition returning kicks to the 35 all day. Brandtner has been punting well, but punt coverage still has me nervous.

Nervous? Because of one play, and that by a very good punt returner? UNLV had one punt return--for -1 yard. Kent 1 return for -2 yards. Until I see differently, I'll happily regard Brodell's performance as the fluke, rather than the norm. Especially given how well the kickoff return units have been doing.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
The fade to Darks I just don't get -(where was Sed all night?) Oh well, we were lucky to even be in that spot.

I agree. I thought the playcalling in the 2nd half last night was great right up until the first play of overtime. When was the last time the fade pass in the corner of the endzone worked for ISU? Arnaud could throw the ball into the ground and we will have the same amount of success we've had with that play. And to call it at such a crucial time for the 2nd game in a row makes me very :sad: and :confused:.

About Sed, we really need a receiver to emerge this year. Sumrall is carrying us right now, and he will be gone next year. If no one steps up to take his place, things won't be looking so good for next year. I think Sed's problem right now may be a lack of strength. He just looks too skinny out there, and it may be affecting his ability to adjust to the ball. Hopefully he'll get into the weight room during the offseason... something that Blythe never seemed to do enough of IMO.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I think we've made strides on Offense and Special teams. D seems a bit worse at times than last year, especially up front.

We are forcing turnovers, which is huge, and not turning the ball over as much, which is also huge.

Special teams is way way better than last year, but still needs lots of work. Mahoney looks fairly consistent, Brandtner is an outstanding punter. Coverage looks mostly better, and returns look just a step or two short from breaking a big one from time to time.

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
We are a better team, but they need to learn how to win ball games. We should be/could be 4-0, but oh well.

Run defense will be down after losing Tuba/Braskma/Bowen/Banks. That was alot of talent that we lost especially at stopping the run.

I'm very hopefull for Conference. I think we can win 4 -5 more games, but it will tough. Kansas/Baylor/Nebraska will be much tougher than Iowa/UNLV, but not so tough that we can't win. ISU must continue to improve.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
No way Meyer makes that run for a TD, run at the end of the game or that throw to RJ for a TD. Nope.

Maybe in his freshman or sophomore season - but not the Meyer that we knew his last 2 years.

I really like our fight, ability to make plays, etc. We need to get more consistent. Outside of the missed FGs last weekend and drops on punts last night - special teams has been much better. Our kick return game is impressive.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Pros -

Arnaud has played better and better with each game. He is poised, makes good decisions, and is throwing and running well.

Brandtner is arguably the best punter in the Big XII.

Defensive backfield is shutting down other teams receivers for the most part and is generating turnovers.

Mahoney is going to solidify the placekicking game for the next 4 years.

Team conditioning is better than it was 2 years ago. Our defense used to spend the 4th quarter standing with their hands on their knees gasping for breath, now we are competitive for the whole game.

Cons -

DL doesn't get off blocks well and doesn't have good side-to-side speed.

Coaching staff using a strange method to get plays in can be costly; that plus incredibly bad clock management hurt us in the last 2 games.

New additions to the OL aren't panning out. All last year we heard that the starters weren't as good as the guys who weren't eligible and this year would be better, and we heard great strength and training numbers. But 3rd-and-2 at Iowa and UNLV were passing downs because we can't depend on getting a 2 yard push out of the OL.

We have a reputation as a team that takes cheap shots and plays dirty. And we've earned it.

Last edited:

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
Pros -

Arnaud has played better and better with each game. He is poised, makes good decisions, and is throwing and running well.

Brandtner is arguably the best punter in the Big XII.

Defensive backfield is shutting down other teams receivers for the most part and is generating turnovers.

Mahoney is going to solidify the placekicking game for the next 4 years.

Cons -

DL doesn't get off blocks well and doesn't have good side-to-side speed.

Coaching staff using a strange method to get plays in can be costly; that plus incredibly bad clock management hurt us in the last 2 games.

New additions to the OL aren't panning out. All last year we heard that the starters weren't as good as the guys who weren't eligible and this year would be better, and we heard great strength and training numbers. But 3rd-and-2 at Iowa and UNLV were passing downs because we can't depend on getting a 2 yard push out of the OL.

We have a reputation as a team that takes cheap shots and plays dirty. And we've earned it.

I didn't see anything wrong with the playcalling method or clock management last night. We drove 98 yards for a touchdown with 1:30 left on the clock and no timeouts. When was the last time we did that?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron