an interesting thought

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
since 2004, we are 1-5 in overtime games with a win over toledo and losses to nebraska(3ot),missouri x 2, with one of those losses costing us a big 12 north championship,kansas, cost us another big 12 north title,and most recently tonight,

seeing this, why is it that we are so bad in overtime?, i mean 1-5, thats turrible(in a charles barkley voice).lol, but seriously is there a connection with this that we cannot win a freaking overtime game, we should just go for the 2 point conversion all the time,jk, any thoughts about this topic

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
4 of the losses came in 04 and 05 when we were actually good, we shouldve won 11 games in 05, that was a very disapointing season

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
First, I question how good we were in '04 and '05.

Second, this team shouldn't be compared to those teams - they're completely different teams in almost every way imaginable.

Third, I think the overtime performance tonight is directly attributed to the youth of both the players and the coaching staff.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
We haven't exactly won many games period in that time.

But if you played a team even for 60 min., you would figure you have about a 50/50 chance to win.

My theory would be that having a good red zone offense and kicking game are critical for winning ot games.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Third, I think the overtime performance tonight is directly attributed to the youth of both the players and the coaching staff.

The guy the TD pass was thrown on was a senior, so I don't see how that really played into it. I think we made a poor call on offense on the 2nd down QB draw and then Bell simply didn't make a good play on the ball on defense.

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
we were very good in 2005, we just made a couple mistakes that cost us big time with losses, we lost 3 ot games that year and a game that we should've won against tcu, but that dumb kicker of theirs made like a 55 yd fg and he was like a 40 or 50% kicker on the season

dschlitter

Apr 11, 2006
Mason City
You can't compare overtimes in the past to tonight. They are completely different. Tonight I think I am one of the few people that was happy to at least see it go into OT. We were down 21 at half and took it to overtime. To win in overtime after coming back from that much down would have been flat out amazing.

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
The guy the TD pass was thrown on was a senior, so I don't see how that really played into it. I think we made a poor call on offense on the 2nd down QB draw and then Bell simply didn't make a good play on the ball on defense.
bell is a junior, or are u talkin about somebody else

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
well, the way i see it, you cannot compare regimes. as far as overtimes go, i think it is all about desire, with playcalling and tough breaks mixed in a little bit. in my short career as an athlete, i never lost anything in overtime, in wrestling or football, and i played my fair share of each. when you lose one overtime, maybe it is a bad bounce, but after a couple it seems like the other team wants it more.

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
The fact that it went to OT was amazing to me. That drive with 1:30 left was perhaps the best and most clutch drive I've ever seen from an Iowa State offense.

dschlitter

Apr 11, 2006
Mason City
i'm just saying, there has to be something we are doing wrong with all our teams, cause we keep losing ot games

The only thing I didn't like tonight was going for the touchdown on first down. Their defense just got done playing a ton in the second half, and I would have liked to see a run play on first and second down with a short pass play on third down to continue to wear out their defense.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I was hoping to go for two.....

Agreed, you had all the momentum and UNLV had to be just stunned. I am not just thinking of this because of Denver last week either.

ISU was on the road and anytime a score happens that way at the end of the game, I say go for the win.

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
i would have also gone for 2, the game was theirs, we had no business being in that spot after our ****** first half, and i'm glad we stepped up and shoved the ball down their throats and finally made that awesome 98 yard td drive to force ot, but i think we had all the momentum and we shouldve went for 2, jmo