Haliburton - new king of the steal?

LoyalFawker

Jul 13, 2016
Kansas City
I know he's only played 2 games but he is currently on pace to shatter all of ISU's Steals records.
Current records:
Season record - 98
Career record - 225
I think he could easily beat Monte's career record if he's here for 4 years.

• Optimistic
Reactions: isutrevman

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Not only is he long and sound in his positioning, he has a high basketball IQ and instincts. On a couple of those steals, I swear he moved to cut off the passing lane before their guy knew where he was going to throw it.

Yeah I will probably flood all related threads with Haliburton praise but he's already my favorite player on this team. He was SO good defensively. I did not see the game Wed, but he looked like a crafty veteran out there. His feel for the game and anticipation are crazy good.

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
Yeah I will probably flood all related threads with Haliburton praise but he's already my favorite player on this team. He was SO good defensively. I did not see the game Wed, but he looked like a crafty veteran out there. His feel for the game and anticipation are crazy good.

Agree. He is quickly becoming a favorite. I think these young guys have some really talented and experienced upperclassmen to help show them the ropes along with what sounds like great chemistry on the team is a good recipe for quick growth.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
Not only is he long and sound in his positioning, he has a high basketball IQ and instincts. On a couple of those steals, I swear he moved to cut off the passing lane before their guy knew where he was going to throw it.
I noticed that. He was set up for an intentional foul or at least putting himself in the best position to get to the ball.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Very active hands, as well. He'll get some reaching fouls but will create some new possessions for the Clones.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
if he hadnt been called for a couple of fouls he'd have had 6 steals (two looked completely clean) against a major conference school, that is really amazing to see out of a freshman.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
2 teams with subpar guard play and Cuonzo who is only carried as far as his NBA talent will take him....if you want to crown 'em then crown their (you can fill in the rest here)....but those teams are who I thought they were....

II was going to craft a carefully reasoned response to this but I haven't had my coffee yet and I don't think it is required.

You, someone, can flag this post but barring injury, Haliburton is at least going to be as good as Diante Garret and has the tools to be the next Monte. It is going to be fun to see where he goes.

As for the team - I am calling bull **** on anyone that says that was just a run-of-the-mill non-con win and that they expected this performance - minus 3 starters. Will it be a resume builder for the tourney or get national attention, nope. But compare to our first home game last year.

Me thinks your beer was probably warm and you took it on this post?

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
2 teams with subpar guard play and Cuonzo who is only carried as far as his NBA talent will take him....if you want to crown 'em then crown their (you can fill in the rest here)....but those teams are who I thought they were....
I'll agree with the subpar guard play, but his anticipation of the pass puts him in position to make the steal. Let's see how he does on Monday against Texas Southern...definitely a step up, team-wise, from the last two teams.

• Funny
Reactions: ComCY

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
People always say the CCL means nothing but if you got the chance to watch him play in Des Moines, you’d see almost the same player in real games as you did in the CCL. Obviously minus some scoring but he was very active on defense in that league and was one of the few guys getting steals and blocking shots every game.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
II was going to craft a carefully reasoned response to this but I haven't had my coffee yet and I don't think it is required.

You, someone, can flag this post but barring injury, Haliburton is at least going to be as good as Diante Garret and has the tools to be the next Monte. It is going to be fun to see where he goes.

As for the team - I am calling bull **** on anyone that says that was just a run-of-the-mill non-con win and that they expected this performance - minus 3 starters. Will it be a resume builder for the tourney or get national attention, nope. But compare to our first home game last year.

Me thinks your beer was probably warm and you took it on this post?
I think someone peed in his Cheerios....

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC

It's all relative. It's only 2 games in so it doesn't mean THAT much, but I've been really impressed with his ability to steal the ball in these first two games especially considering he's a freshman coming into a new speed of a game. Of the people who have actually played 2+ games this year so far, he's tied for 5th in the nation for steals per game. Out of those players tied or better, he's the only one who's actually played against a power conference school. If you expand that to include people who only played 1 game, then he's tied for 11th highest steals per game and of those, only 2 others played against power conference schools.

That's pretty good. Of course, it's just 2 games, but needless to say, so far that guy's impressed me more than any other freshman on the team.

• Informative
Reactions: cycloneG