Solid B1G Defense Today

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It will be interesting to see how the Iowa vs NW game goes. NW seems like they are not as terrible as they were at the beginning of the year.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It will be interesting to see how the Iowa vs NW game goes. NW seems like they are not as terrible as they were at the beginning of the year.

Neither does Purdue.

I watched some of that...Iowa really didn't like Purdue throwing the ball around.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Neither does Purdue.

I watched some of that...Iowa really didn't like Purdue throwing the ball around.

Followed it a little on ESPN, Purdue completed a lot of long passes. Think they have a 86 yards one on the second play of a drive.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Year the 2-point conversion was brought to college football: 1958

Highest 2-point success rate over the course of any single season: 47.1% in 1970

Number of times the expected point value, on average, of a 2-point try exceeded that of a PAT over the course of a season: 8 times, the last being in 1974.

This is why chasing points five minutes into the second half is a terrible idea, and why teams that do it and fail tend to see it bite them in the ass at the end of the game. I couldn't believe Iowa decided to try that and said immediately that it was going to cost them (sure enough, they failed on the 2pt try that they *had to have* as a result of failing on the one they didn't need and they get beat on a last second field goal, which would have only tied the game if they'd just taken the easy points).

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

Highest 2-point success rate over the course of any single season: 47.1% in 1970

Number of times the expected point value, on average, of a 2-point try exceeded that of a PAT over the course of a season: 8 times, the last being in 1974.

This is why chasing points five minutes into the second half is a terrible idea, and why teams that do it and fail tend to see it bite them in the ass at the end of the game. I couldn't believe Iowa decided to try that and said immediately that it was going to cost them (sure enough, they failed on the 2pt try that they *had to have* as a result of failing on the one they didn't need and they get beat on a last second field goal, which would have only tied the game if they'd just taken the easy points).

ummm, if they didn't go for two and just kicked it, they still would have lost by one, right? Or did they go for 2 twice and not get it. Didn't really watch the game.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
ummm, if they didn't go for two and just kicked it, they still would have lost by one, right? Or did they go for 2 twice and not get it. Didn't really watch the game.

Didn't watch or read what TM wrote.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Didn't watch or read what TM wrote.

Yep, I didn't read it carefully enough, although I agree, the chances of making a 2 pt conversion is not great, so you shouldn't go for it if you don't have too. On the other hand, PU was first and goal at the 5 with more than a minute left in the game, so it isn't too far fetched to imagine they could have gotten a TD in the end.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006

Those stats are nearly useless. That is taking the entire college pool then applying it to very specific situations. Each team has variable success predicated on far to many variables to broadly classify chasing points as good or bad.

• Agree
Reactions: cdface

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Get a team that’s halfway decent at throwing the football and it will give the Hawkeyes fits. Makes me sick to my stomach to wonder what would have been had we had Purdy at QB for that game.

TCU game's going to bother me more. If he could come in for the 2nd series of the OSU game, he could have been out there to get a spark going in Fort Worth.

Iowa game was still schematically stupid.