Another Ferentz story

1clone

Nov 16, 2006
Some time ago I was told by an Iowa fan something interesting. At the time Kirk was hired to be Iowa's head coach, Hayden Fry laughed when asked what he thought of Kirk being named head coach. He said something to the effect that Kirk got his first big break from him when he hired Kirk to be an assistant at Iowa. The interesting part is this. Hayden said the resume Ferentz used to get that assistant's job had inaccurate information on it. At first thought most people would shrug this off as untrue or purely joking around, I know I did.
I do know this actually happened because I saw Kirk deny that statement on TV the same day Hayden said this.
But after some of the things that have happened in IC lately you begin to wonder. I mean how smart is it for the highest paid state employee to let his son live in university housing intended for low income persons. Yes, his son would have been low income at the time as a college student with no job, but we all know that's a bunch of baloney. I mean the guy's father is getting over two million from the university and he lets his son occupy housing for the low income, c'mon now get a life. So if Kirk would do something like this, would he have fudged on a resume? I guess we'll never know because this happened a long time ago and we now know the U of I handles things internally. Perhaps the IC press Citizen could dig into this.

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
Yeah, cause no one fudges their resume. Big deal. Some people on this board need to focus more on their team instead of the alleged or potential woes and KF and company.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Yeah, cause no one fudges their resume. Big deal. Some people on this board need to focus more on their team instead of the alleged or potential woes and KF and company.

And maybe some Hawkeye fans should just go back to their own boards...

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Good grief. This story went around ages ago, when ferentz was still an assistant. Fry thought it was funny then, doubtless he thought it was funny again when Ferentz was hired.

The real story is--as best as I can remember, that when Ferentz sent his resume, he had himself listed as "Assistant Offensive Line Coach" for the Pittsburgh Panthers. It got hiim the interview, Fry thought he was the most outstanding applicant (from a horde), and hired Ferentz to be his line coach, despite his youth (like, 24?)--and Ferentz proved to be a very good line coach.

The only catch is that Ferentz was actually onlya grad assistant for Pitt (that much I'm sure of), and when Fry found out, somewhere along the line, he was tickled at Ferentz' balls. Everybody knew about it--it was one of Fry's favorite stories on the banquet circuit...and everywhere. Fry always got the most mileage out of his stories, and he'll probably still be telling that one when they lower him into the ground.

If you want to consider this "dirt" on Ferentz, you're over twenty years too late. Shhesh.

The interesting part is this. Hayden said the resume Ferentz used to get that assistant's job had inaccurate information on it. At first thought most people would shrug this off as untrue or purely joking around, I know I did. .

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
Hayden thought Kirk was an assistant coach at Pitt when he applied at Iowa, when in truth he was a grad assistant. Kirk has told this story many times in the past. It's no big secret.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Right . . only insecure punk Iowa fans hang around here . . . LOL.

I will give SoHawk a little credit. The guy does contribute a little bit to the discussion unlike DJK. DJK is the worst kind of troll out there. The guy has not contributed a thing on this site and his thoughts are immature digs at ISU at best. Bet we don't hear much from him if Pitt hands the Hawks a big fat L today and his National Championship dreams are shattered. lol.