McCarney, Walden, Majors Recognition - Outstanding

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
You mean practicing in a parking lot and road ditch was not common in the 90s.

Right. It was unreal. The turf on the field was concrete with a layer of matted down turf that felt
Like it was a hand me down. We have sideline passes and my brother and I used to wonder how guys got back up after being tackled on it. I remember being in the locker room and an assistant coach told a player he had the buy his own lock because he lost his. No joke.

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014
636102192372076366-BestNeibergall-4-2-.jpg

Was on the field for this one. He deserved it.
I was on the field for that also. Looks like the final time we played Missouri and won the telephone trophy!

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
When Walden was introduced, two guys in our section went absolutely ballistic on him. Yelling at him to go to hell, he's the worst coach Iowa State ever had and something about Walden burning records.

It was...something to witness. They kept yelling at Walden even after the ovation for McCarney had finished.
Wasn't Criner a worse coach than Walden? Criner left a dumpster fire for Walden.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Right. It was unreal. The turf on the field was concrete with a layer of matted down turf that felt
Like it was a hand me down. We have sideline passes and my brother and I used to wonder how guys got back up after being tackled on it. I remember being in the locker room and an assistant coach told a player he had the buy his own lock because he lost his. No joke.
Some of that turf is in a indoor baseball practice facility in west dsm

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
It's too bad all these bowl games weren't around in 1989. Walden was 6-5 overall and 4-3 in the Big 8. Bowl bound!

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
When Walden was introduced, two guys in our section went absolutely ballistic on him. Yelling at him to go to hell, he's the worst coach Iowa State ever had and something about Walden burning records.

It was...something to witness. They kept yelling at Walden even after the ovation for McCarney had finished.

Looks like we've found where Tornado man sits

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Hopefully, it'll make him feel SO PROUD ...
I don’t get why people make fun of this. I guess it’s kind of cringy now after everything, but that clip alone got Iowa State football more positive national publicity than anything else in the history of the program at that time, minus maybe Seneca and Troy Davis.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Pollard has said that each coach we have had, even Chizik, have contributed to where we are at now. People on here like to bag on Rhoads but I put him up there with Mac. I hope there is a time when Rhoads can come back and be recognized like Majors, Walden, and Mac got recognized.

Agreed. Rhoads made it possible for us to believe we can knock off the top teams. Campbell took that a step further.

dxmonger

Dec 18, 2008
Walden >> Criner

And was far more entertaining to listen to. The damage done to the program by Criner (and Donnie Duncan?) made my college years painful in terms of football.

However, it was very easy to grab something at Hickory Park on game day then get a parking spot within 100 yards of the stadium at kickoff. I was thankful for hoops back then.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The biggest damage done to ISU football was by past ADs and presidents. They are the ones who passed up good coaches (or let good ones go with no effort to retain) for poor ones. And declaring that ISU cares about academics only and athletics don't mean anything.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
The biggest damage done to ISU football was by past ADs and presidents. They are the ones who passed up good coaches (or let good ones go with no effort to retain) for poor ones. And declaring that ISU cares about academics only and athletics don't mean anything.

This times 1,000,000. Gordon P. Eaton and his predecessor are the real villains- they make Big12 Refs look like boosters in comparison to damage done.

That said, Walden WAS a lousy coach. I was there when he was there. It was bad kids, real bad. Yes the facilities were terrible and he had no support. But he didn't seem to really care a whole lot, or do much about it. And probably some of that flowed down from the administration too. He could have at least raged about it.

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
Sorry, Jim Walden drove our program in the ground. Mystified why he gets honored. Lazy coach, lazy staff. Athletic department support folks - who worked with both Walden and then Mac - say that the intensity and work ethic comparison were like night and day.
Do some research, and then get back to us with a halfway decent take.

Walden's hands were tied by an admin that was anti-football. He also had to follow Criner's fiasco and was dealing with scholarship deficiencies. He would have done better with more support. How much better, I don't know.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Do some research, and then get back to us with a halfway decent take.

Walden's hands were tied by an admin that was anti-football. He also had to follow Criner's fiasco and was dealing with scholarship deficiencies. He would have done better with more support. How much better, I don't know.

Not much better. He was hired because of his ability to beat his rival Washington while at WSU. WSU fans did not give him good reviews. He didn’t really succeed in beating Iowa btw.

He would tell fans to not miss the O because they would be good. Go get the hotdog during D because you won’t want to see it, he would say. Then finish with, don’t take long because the other team will probably score quickly. Not a guy who is real supportive of his players.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron