McCarney, Walden, Majors Recognition - Outstanding

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Without Jim Walden we wouldn't have had these little gems in the 80's.
(Bartles and James, kids)
c7bbcb02b601fa1f4334634f189e390d.jpg

I have a picture of this framed in my basement.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Sorry, Jim Walden drove our program in the ground. Mystified why he gets honored. Lazy coach, lazy staff. Athletic department support folks - who worked with both Walden and then Mac - say that the intensity and work ethic comparison were like night and day.

Not surprising that you would slither in to trash Walden. Despite being "lazy", somehow Walden had a winning season in his third year and beat several rated teams along the way, all with a reduced-scholarship team coming off of probation, and practicing on grass fields that doubled as parking lots on game day. Switzer routinely made ISU's facilities during that era the butt of his jokes.

Perhaps if Walden would have had the benefit of an AD who racked up a bunch of debt building facilities (to the point of facilitating the need to cut sports half a decade later), it might have gone differently for him.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Don’t be so fast on dismissing a welcome back (for some reason) for Chiz.

Eustachy was canned for some obvious issues but there was video of him a few years back shown on the Hilton scoreboard and he was emotional and thankful for his time here. I can’t remember off hand what the reason behind it was for.

veteran4cy

Nov 13, 2012
Ankeny
Johnny Majors did everything that Coach Mac did, but so many don’t remember him as well. I felt it was cool at half time. I walked out of the stadium and there was Coach Fen and Coach Mac. Coach Fen was just standing back and smiling as people crowded around Coach Mac wanting photos.

I was able to get Mac to take a photo with my daughter on the way out during halftime. Bill must have been thirsty since he was really trying to get him moving. I was really appreciative of him taking a minute to do it considering that his last game was the day my daughter was born. And also the last home game I missed.

Reactions: NWICY

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Not surprising that you would slither in to trash Walden. Despite being "lazy", somehow Walden had a winning season in his third year and beat several rated teams along the way, all with a reduced-scholarship team coming off of probation, and practicing on grass fields that doubled as parking lots on game day. Switzer routinely made ISU's facilities during that era the butt of his jokes.

Perhaps if Walden would have had the benefit of an AD who racked up a bunch of debt building facilities (to the point of facilitating the need to cut sports half a decade later), it might have gone differently for him.
Ha ha. I knew you would respond
And when Walden finally accumulated his "own" players, (you know, with bigger squad numbers), his record got worse. Oh and then the off the field issues with his players. Oh and also his famous presser where he complained that people took football too seriously here...

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Ha ha. I knew you would respond
And when Walden finally accumulated his "own" players, (you know, with bigger squad numbers), his record got worse. Oh and then the off the field issues with his players. Oh and also his famous presser where he complained that people took football too seriously here...

Not gonna argue with your silliness. I know that your paradigm requires you to present Walden in the worst possible light whenever an opportunity presents itself, and that's what you will do...

Reactions: CyDude16

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
I appreciate what Majors did but he left when he got a better offer. I think Mac got the reception he did because he did everything he could and had some great accomplishments but then lost his job. Also doesn't hurt that he was here more recently.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Sorry, Jim Walden drove our program in the ground. Mystified why he gets honored. Lazy coach, lazy staff. Athletic department support folks - who worked with both Walden and then Mac - say that the intensity and work ethic comparison were like night and day.

Wrong. Walden has worse facilities than Valley high school has now. I was in the old Olson building locker rooms and they were horrible. I also had been in Nebraska’s at the same time. Walden has no chance to win. Mac started horrible but the facilities at least started to improve. Walden was not the best coach but Iowa state football was never above ground to be ran into the ground.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone and 247cy

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Johnny Majors' success at ISU is one of the main reasons JTS was built.

Johnny Majors' success is one of the main reasons we still have football.

One of the things he did was to put 1st stringers with special plays on special teams and then charge the special teams with getting one or two touchdowns per game with the leverage generated as most teams were putting 3rd/4th+ stringers on special teams.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
When Walden was introduced, two guys in our section went absolutely ballistic on him. Yelling at him to go to hell, he's the worst coach Iowa State ever had and something about Walden burning records.

It was...something to witness. They kept yelling at Walden even after the ovation for McCarney had finished.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
They literally changed NCAA rules about how many scholarships you could give out in a single year because of the mess that Walden walked into. Couple that with the resources provided and nobody had a shot in that environment. Same budget the day he got fired as the day he was hired.

I remember after he lost to UNI in '92, he said something to the effect of 'Of course they beat me, they have better players and better resources'.

Great guy. Just didn't work. I don't think there's any need to bury him 25 years later.

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
Anybody remember this banner?

W alk
A way
L eave
D epart
E xit
N ow!

He did beat OU and Nebby so he's got that goin for him

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
When Walden was introduced, two guys in our section went absolutely ballistic on him. Yelling at him to go to hell, he's the worst coach Iowa State ever had and something about Walden burning records.

It was...something to witness. They kept yelling at Walden even after the ovation for McCarney had finished.

My dad said he was the worst coach in ISU history but even he clapped for the guy. That’s uncalled for

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Wrong. Walden has worse facilities than Valley high school has now. I was in the old Olson building locker rooms and they were horrible. I also had been in Nebraska’s at the same time. Walden has no chance to win. Mac started horrible but the facilities at least started to improve. Walden was not the best coach but Iowa state football was never above ground to be ran into the ground.

You mean practicing in a parking lot and road ditch was not common in the 90s.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron