McCarney, Walden, Majors Recognition - Outstanding

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Being at the game and seeing Johnny Majors, Jim Walden, and Dan McCarney be introduced was simply fantastic. But when the crowd erupted at the introduction of McCarney it nearly brought tears to my eyes. That man has been so gracious to ISU in spite of how things ended. And it was absolutely heartwarming to see the ISU crowd respond to him they way they did. All three men deserve our respect for their time here, but seeing how DMC was cheered makes me think he'll be around for awhile longer.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
I think most fans understand how hard it is to build a competitive team. Especially with the money and facilities we had. Mccarney did great with what we had. To get over the jump we needed more money or better things to offer recruits.

• Friendly
Reactions: Cdiedrick

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
636102192372076366-BestNeibergall-4-2-.jpg

Was on the field for this one. He deserved it.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Johnny Majors did everything that Coach Mac did, but so many don’t remember him as well. I felt it was cool at half time. I walked out of the stadium and there was Coach Fen and Coach Mac. Coach Fen was just standing back and smiling as people crowded around Coach Mac wanting photos.

Reactions: NWICY and kentkel

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Pollard has said that each coach we have had, even Chizik, have contributed to where we are at now. People on here like to bag on Rhoads but I put him up there with Mac. I hope there is a time when Rhoads can come back and be recognized like Majors, Walden, and Mac got recognized.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Pollard has said that each coach we have had, even Chizik, have contributed to where we are at now. People on here like to bag on Rhoads but I put him up there with Mac. I hope there is a time when Rhoads can come back and be recognized like Majors, Walden, and Mac got recognized.
He’s probably just a big fan of the guy that hired the three coaches since Mac.

• Useful
Reactions: everyyard

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I really enjoyed the time they put the camera on Seneca Wallace and Coach McCarney on the sideline talking to fans during the first half. Even though there was no announcement, there was a very nice spontaneous ovation from the crowd who were seeing it on the videoboards.

ISUEmbassy

Jun 13, 2014
Walden had the unfortunate timing of coaching when ISU administration still offered little to no support for the athletic department. Was he an amazing coach? No. But he was and continues to be a huge Cyclone fan. Met him this summer and when I told him I was in school while he was there, the first thing he said was how sorry he was he didnt win more games for us. Great coach, no, great guy, absolutely

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Oh absolutely.

The south endzone was built both on Rhoads' early successes, and the enthusiasm that the Chizik hire created. Chizik was the reason we started really selling the season tickets en masse (people forget how much excitement there was for that hire), and Rhoads delivered early results to sustain that.

Chizik probably won't ever be back for a lot of reasons on both sides, but Rhoads absolutely will be welcomed back, and I imagine he will be at some point, particularly given he's connected locally.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Oh absolutely.

The south endzone was built both on Rhoads' early successes, and the enthusiasm that the Chizik hire created. Chizik was the reason we started really selling the season tickets en masse (people forget how much excitement there was for that hire), and Rhoads delivered early results to sustain that.

Chizik probably won't ever be back for a lot of reasons on both sides, but Rhoads absolutely will be welcomed back, and I imagine he will be at some point, particularly given he's connected locally.

If/when they bring Rhodes back JTS will go nuts. It would be cool if they could do a tribute video or something for him

• Useful
Reactions: TXCyclones

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Sorry, Jim Walden drove our program in the ground. Mystified why he gets honored. Lazy coach, lazy staff. Athletic department support folks - who worked with both Walden and then Mac - say that the intensity and work ethic comparison were like night and day.

Rockymtcy

Oct 2, 2018
I've been following ISU football since the Criner years, so can't comment on coaches prior to that. What sets Mac apart from the others is he is soo damn personable. He goes out of his way to actually have dialogue with people. I met him at a golf outing shortly after he became head coach and he still remembers my name. On Saturday, pregame he was about 6 cars away from us in Lot S6, visiting with a former player. I walked by and he recognized me, next thing you know we are toasting to beating the hoks next year with a shot of fireball. He claims he didn't know what it was, but he liked it. Wish someone would have snapped a picture. Maybe next time.