Season Ends Strong with Post Season Bid -->2019 Discussion

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
We blowout #22 Kansas at their house in 3-0 sets today. Wednesday 10/24 #4 Texas comes to Hilton. What to expect?

Anyone watch the game at KU? What is the story as we go on a 3 game win streak?

• Friendly
Reactions: clonebb

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Based on watching earlier matches, I'm pretty much :eek: but also :D

First games of season we looked impressive, then we slid into mediocrity. We can salvage the season with a strong rest-of-season showing with many matches at Hilton and lesser competition. Holthaus is impressive!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
First games of season we looked impressive, then we slid into mediocrity. We can salvage the season with a strong rest-of-season showing with many matches at Hilton and lesser competition. Holthaus is impressive!

And Wednesday night at Hilton vs Texas is on ESPNU. Good timing.

Team10

Oct 10, 2018
Give credit where it it due, blocking and hitting is impressive!

QUOTE="Royalclone, post: 6352664, member: 5930"]Maybe CJL has settled in on a lineup, and they are getting comfortable with their roles. Who would've thunk moving the Libero of the year to DS would make us better?[/QUOTE]

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Maybe CJL has settled in on a lineup, and they are getting comfortable with their roles. Who would've thunk moving the Libero of the year to DS would make us better?
The Enna move to Libero, adding Baranski to the rotation as a DS, and Herrera's emergence as Rhoads' replacement have all been keys to this run. Probably wasn't easy for CJL to kind of demote Hillegas to her new role and one would think CJL will not do any additional tinkering at this point.

No doubt this was the best and most important win of the season so far.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Just took a look a the Big 12 standings - we're tied for THIRD at the mid-way point of the season. I would never have guessed that, considering the skid we had recently.

Texas (of course) is on top at 7-1 with their only loss being to Kansas. Kansas is 6-2, now having lost back-to-back games to K-State and Iowa State. Then there's the log jam for third place at 4-4: Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, and Iowa State. K-State is 2-6, while WVU brings up the rear at 1-7.

• Informative
Reactions: StClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just took a look a the Big 12 standings - we're tied for THIRD at the mid-way point of the season. I would never have guessed that, considering the skid we had recently.

Texas (of course) is on top at 7-1 with their only loss being to Kansas. Kansas is 6-2, now having lost back-to-back games to K-State and Iowa State. Then there's the log jam for third place at 4-4: Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, and Iowa State. K-State is 2-6, while WVU brings up the rear at 1-7.

Couple of weeks ago I said we had no shot at NCAA. Looks like we might now if we could finish 6-2 and be 10-6. Kind of a tall order but doesn't look as impossible as it did before.

• Agree
Reactions: SMP05 and Buster28

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
We have to beat Texas in order to get into NCAA IMO- I don't see a way in unless that happens. Maybe if we lose a close one in 5 but I doubt it. Looks the best it has all year right now.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
At Hilton and just counted that we have 10 dressed players tonight. Ten. And yet we started out really great, matching Texas point for point. Lost first set 25-19.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Match is currently on ESPNU. Tied at 11 in the 2nd.

And kinda downhill from that point. :( They did seem to play with more emotion than previous matches I've watched this season.

Question, why does Texas have five or six few matches than many other teams in the Top 25?

Team10

Oct 10, 2018
Grace was a beast! Love her fierceness! Hillegas is quick and we need to find a way to get her on the floor more.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron