View Point of Older Fans

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I'm just wondering if anyone has heard the feed back that I have this week. I had 2 different encounters with with older ISU fans. I'm guessing all these fans are probably in their 70's or so.

Tuesday night. A friend and I were at the Chicken Coop. We sat down next to this guy and his wife. He noticed my new ISU polo and asked me if I was a fan. He then went on to rip the new ISU colors and logo.

He was a season ticket holder at ISU for 26 years. He recently gave them up either this year or last. He mentioned how he hated the new luxury suites, and how they forced people to move out of seats they have had for year. He also believed that the stadium didn't need the upgrades that it recieved and we are spending unnecessary money for athletics. He also hopes and prays that ISU fires Pollard as soon as possible.

Luckily his wife had common sense about things. She realized the new luxury suites would create money and how that will help out sports.

I couldn't help but feel sorry for the old man. He was way to stuck in the past. And I can understand how people hate change. He also tried to talk to me about the game against Iowa this weekend and about the terrible playcalling. Which I couldn't argue about.

Today

I went to SW Iowa to deliever some paper work to a client of mine. He is a farmer and a big time ISU fan. We started talking ISU sports and football more importantly. He loved the new colors of uniforms and everything. He hated the new log, but he didn't like the previous one either. He loved the new stadium updates and hopes for it to be completed on the other side soon. Although he didn't care much for JP either.

His wife was a different story. She didn't care for the updates the new logo or colors. She then started to rip Gene Chizik. How terrible of a coach he is and that Dan never should of been fired. She said Dan was the best coach ever at ISU.

Now seriously is that how old people see things at ISU.

Dan McCarney = greatest coach
Jamie Pollard = Devil and needs to be fired
New Color and logo = crap
New updates at stadium = unnecessary
Gene Chizik = in over his head

I notice the younger fans are all on board with all the new changes. It seems we have ruined the lives of all the older fans and that they don't want us to grow or try to be competitive.

Does anyone else notice this??

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
To be fair, it sounds like the old people are split from your story. 1/2 on board, 1/2 think their lives are over (which they may be pretty soon)

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
Call me what you will, but I honestly think they have cattered(sp?) to the older market for too long. I think its time this program takes a new shape and reaches out to a new generation. Shake things up and get some attention from a younger market. And as mean as this sounds, but the fans in their 70's arent gonna be around forever, and if we worry more about them then the younger fans, its possible Cyclones could fade with their generation.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
To be fair, it sounds like the old people are split from your story. 1/2 on board, 1/2 think their lives are over (which they may be pretty soon)

Well... It seems that they were split 50/50 from how I wrote that, but it seems both couples hate us trying to better ourselves. Even stadium improvements were uncalled for.

It actually was really sad hearing them bad mouth the current situation for ISU

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
She said Dan was the best coach ever at ISU.

Like it or not, she is right about this.

Dan accomplished more at ISU (winning seasons, beating Iowa & Nebraska, bowl games, and bowl wins) than all of the other coaches in ISU's history combined.

matmann22

Dec 31, 2007
Pleasant Hill
matmann22.spaces.live.com
I notice the younger fans are all on board with all the new changes. It seems we have ruined the lives of all the older fans and that they don't want us to grow or try to be competitive.

Does anyone else notice this??

How do you know ALL younger fans are on board ?

You take run-ins with a huge number of couples - aka 2 couples - wearing ISU gear and you can jump to these conclusions ?

I can guarantee you that I can find young fans that aren't overly happy and I can find you older fans that are very happy with ISU.

I can speak about one situation that makes some fans a little upset. A member of my family gave a rather large sum of money to the fundraising to help build Jack Trice. He was told that he could have his seats for life (in what is now a $500 donor section). Apparently 'life' has a new meaning in this day and age...

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
WOW, that was a terrible post, I can't believe I'm responding to it, but oh well.

I Love Mac, but I'm very glad for the coaching change. I think Chizik is the Man. Good Luck Cyclones, they need a win this weekend.

I LOVE Jamie Pollard, ISU finally has someone who promotes Cyclone Athletics. I truely believe that if you are not a Jamie Pollard fan, you are not an Iowa State Fan. ISU fans must realize that it costs $$$ to run a D1 College Athletic Program.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk

Dan accomplished more at ISU (winning seasons, beating Iowa & Nebraska, bowl games, and bowl wins) than all of the other coaches in ISU's history combined.

Earle Bruce ring a bell????? I have a hard time believing that Dan is a better coach then him.

Plus, where is Dan coaching these days???

Head coaching???

Reactions: BryceC

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007

I have held tickets in my own name since late 70's, attended ISU games since 1956, yes I was around when dirt was created.....I'm an alum, a National Cyclone club member, Gridiron club member, and hold multiple season Men's and women's BB tickets

I think the new logo is great, but stop screwing around with Cardinal and Gold colors. JP will be very good for ISU as will Chizik, given the time to get his recruited people in place. The upgrades for Jack Trice are great, even if I don't get to use any of the suites, just the more spacious walkways.

I am more focused with building the program and to keep going forward....McCarney was good for ISU, but stalled out, Everybody gets replaced in life sooner or later...Chizik is the coach to follow now. :yes:

Last edited:
Reactions: CY ST8T

CarlisleCy

Apr 12, 2006
Well, I certainly fit your definition of an "older" fan -- I'm 62 -- so let me add to your database. By the way, I'm an alum, a National Cyclone club member and football season ticket holder.

I happen to like the new logo very much, I like the new uniforms very much and I think the upgrades to the west side of Jack Trice stadium are great and were sorely needed. I hope the east side and south end zone upgrades are also completed as quickly as possible.

As to athletic department personnel -- my only comment about Jamie is that it's too bad we didn't hire someone like him 20 years ago. I'm convinced his marketing savvy and enthusiasm will lead us to atheltic success never before seen.

Dan McCarney is a wonderful man and one of the best football coaches in ISU history. It's too bad he had to leave, but a change was clearly needed.

I'm excited about Gene but believe it will be at least two more years before we can make conclusive judgements.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
How do you know ALL younger fans are on board ?

You take run-ins with a huge number of couples - aka 2 couples - wearing ISU gear and you can jump to these conclusions ?

I can guarantee you that I can find young fans that aren't overly happy and I can find you older fans that are very happy with ISU.

I can speak about one situation that makes some fans a little upset. A member of my family gave a rather large sum of money to the fundraising to help build Jack Trice. He was told that he could have his seats for life (in what is now a $500 donor section). Apparently 'life' has a new meaning in this day and age...

Did they simple say they have to buy tickets or did they move them??? I couldn't remember exactly what they did. And since your family is involved could you please fill me in.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
We haven't adopted new colors. We've gone back to the correct colors.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Earle Bruce ring a bell????? I have a hard time believing that Dan is a better coach then him.

Plus, where is Dan coaching these days???

Head coaching???

Do you realize that Earle Bruce used ISU as a stepping stone and jumped at the chance to leave the first time a bigger program came calling? While Dan turned down more than one opportunity to do the same thing in order to stay at ISU?

Bruce may have been a better college coach than McCarney, but McCarney was a better ISU coach than Bruce...or anyone else for that matter.

Reactions: CycloneErik

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
This is what I have found about old (er) people. As people age priorities change for most, it goes like this:babies->kids->teenagers->empty nest. At this empty nest stage they have less stress or things to gripe about (kids) and replace it with something else. So basically older folks don't have a gripe about the things from yester-year (cyclone wise) b/c they were more focused on griping or envolved kids or whatever.

My parents, empty nesters near retirement...gripe about everything under the sun now that they are getting more and more free time. Things they would have cared less about 2-3 ago and everything was better 10-20 years ago...even though they probably had less $ and more stress (kids).

JMHO from a kid born in the late 70's

jamesfnb

Apr 9, 2006
I haven't talked to many old people about the colors but I've talked to them about the ISU football program in general. Most told me the same thing, "If I had a nickel for everytime over the years I've heard how ISU is "rebuilding" and "this coach will take us to a new level" yada yada" Talking to them doesn't give me much hope for the future.............

Cymaster

Jun 14, 2006
I LOVE the fact that Gene Chizik is our coach, and I love what Jaime Pollard's goals and ambition with the athletic department (although his means are up to scrutiny, it seems).

In my opinion, people need to get over the fact that Chizik and Pollard are here. Others need to get over the fact that Mac isn't. We probably would not have been in position to get either if it weren't for McCarney (or even Van De Velde, for that matter :shocked:). But Chizik and Pollard are here, and so far neither have shown a whole lot to make us doubt them yet.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Most told me the same thing, "If I had a nickel for everytime over the years I've heard how ISU is "rebuilding" and "this coach will take us to a new level" yada yada" Talking to them doesn't give me much hope for the future.............

Seeing 2 conference titles in 113 years of football tends to make old-timers a little cynical.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Do you realize that Earle Bruce used ISU as a stepping stone and jumped at the chance to leave the first time a bigger program came calling? While Dan turned down more than one opportunity to do the same thing in order to stay at ISU?

Bruce may have been a better college coach than McCarney, but McCarney was a better ISU coach than Bruce...or anyone else for that matter.

Yeah Earle Bruce went home and took a job.

Dan McCarney coaching in Iowa was a home type of job for him as well. Most people don't leave once given the opportunity to come back home to coach, plus his whole family lived in Iowa.

If Dan didn't have Iowa connections he probably would of done the same thing. Since when has ISU been a destination job??

Earle Bruce is an ISU coach. Just like Gene Chizik. Gene will do the same thing if he wins. Doesn't make him any less of a Cyclone.

The only way a coach has a longer stay then Dan is if he has Iowa connections and doesn't want to move on to bigger things, or ISU keeps rising the bar in coaching pay.

Here is the facts on Earle Bruce...

Earle Bruce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
It is not only older fans, I spoke to somebody that works at Iowa State today, and he told me he did not like the new logo, he also said that the McCarney staff treated them allot better then the new staff does.

So I guess it is kind of like if people like somebody you work with, but you have trouble relating with them, those people do not goes on in the inside.

That being said, I am happy with the new staff, and hope they get this turned around.

:confused:

cyclonelifer

Jan 30, 2007
Manchester, England
daveharm.blogspot.com

That's insane. So what if Earle Bruce and Johnny Majors used ISU as a stepping stone. Between the two of them they went to four bowls (should have been five).

They played in bowl games when they weren't given so freely. And they were both better coaches than Mac at ISU because when they coached there wasn't any scholarship limits.

I liked Mac, but the best? Far from it. In all his time here how many of those teams would have went to a bowl if it never expanded from the 70s?