Hate Iowa but see what this one says

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
I dont think we can ignore the matchups but the tOSU and TOE were favored in those matchups. Maryland is the lone upset between these two conferences and they were playing in Baltimore so its tough to read much into the 1st week of the year so saying the record is the say all end all doesnt hold up in these conversations (i.e. look at how the playoff committee treats Ws and Ls).

Clearly UT is a better team now than they were in week one, clearly ISU is a better team now than they were in Sept and the same could be said for most other schools. What can't be ignored is who on your schedule is truly feared by other opponents. For TOE it is PSU and Wisky (the latter being unimpressive at this point in the year). No one is scared of playing MN, Purdue, Indiana, IL, UNI, NIU, or Nebby). FWIW i think NW, Mary, ISU, PSU, and WISC all put solid teams on the field but none are considered Elite at this point in the season. TOE has a good draw for a schedule (all but PSU are in Kinnick and ISU was the first game of the year).

To say TOE doesnt have a favorable schedule is disingenuous. On the other hand, to say they have not been impressive in how they have handled their schedule, is also disingenuous. they can be a good team and have a weak schedule.

Is the BigXII stacked this year? no, but top to bottom it is a tougher schedule than what TOE faces. There is no doubt TOE, TCU, OSU, and Tex on the road are all tougher games and environments than TOE faces on their schedule while ranked WVU and Tech (likely ranked at 5-2 by then) at home are tough matchups.

I'll give credit where it is due, though PSU has been a disappoinment so far, it is the toughest environment on either teams schedule. Maybe UT can rival it but only in attendance. That one game is not enough to justify this schedule for IA as tough though.

CubsClones1

Nov 12, 2012
Prairie City
Arguably the dumbest thing I've read on here

The only reason he's saying this is because Maryland beat Texas IN WEEK 1 because wins against Bowling Green, Rutgers and Minnesota most definitely DO NOT command respect. Nevermind that Texas has a different starting QB now and is playing at a completely different level. Nevermind that they lost by 20 plus to TEMPLE???? and Michigan. #Delusional

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
I am a fan of both teams because I grew up in Iowa and went to a college other than Iowa or ISU and I rooted slightly for ISU to win over Iowa. Wow, what a think skinned fan base. I thought the Iowa boards were bad but this board was definitely worse! I always thought Iowa fans were condescending and entitled but maybe there is something to the little brother syndrome. I watch both teams and I can tell you as much about this Cyclone team as any of you on this board but I simply say the Hawks are starting to come together as a good team and you guys fall apart. Pathetic!
For some reason you want us to give credit to Iowa for beating Minnesota and Indiana because OSU played the same two teams and Iowa hand an easier time that OSU, yet you won't give ISU credit for beating two ranked teams - one on the road - by saying the Oklahoma State win doesn't look like much now and West Virginia was overrated. And you call us pathetic?

I don't have time to respond to all 10 of your posts restating the same thing so I will just quote one of them and respond.

Your misquoting what I said. I said "On the other hand Iowa fans think...." I never said it personally.

"Ohio St. played the same last two teams Indiana & Minnesota the last couple weeks and had a lot harder time with them than Iowa. If you watch the games Iowa's offensive line looks to really be coming together. On the other hand Iowa fans think the win against OSU doesn't look like much now and WVU is overrated. I think if Iowa beats Maryland like they should next weekend you have to give them credit for playing well."
I dont think we can ignore the matchups but the tOSU and TOE were favored in those matchups. Maryland is the lone upset between these two conferences and they were playing in Baltimore so its tough to read much into the 1st week of the year so saying the record is the say all end all doesnt hold up in these conversations (i.e. look at how the playoff committee treats Ws and Ls).

Clearly UT is a better team now than they were in week one, clearly ISU is a better team now than they were in Sept and the same could be said for most other schools. What can't be ignored is who on your schedule is truly feared by other opponents. For TOE it is PSU and Wisky (the latter being unimpressive at this point in the year). No one is scared of playing MN, Purdue, Indiana, IL, UNI, NIU, or Nebby). FWIW i think NW, Mary, ISU, PSU, and WISC all put solid teams on the field but none are considered Elite at this point in the season. TOE has a good draw for a schedule (all but PSU are in Kinnick and ISU was the first game of the year).

To say TOE doesnt have a favorable schedule is disingenuous. On the other hand, to say they have not been impressive in how they have handled their schedule, is also disingenuous. they can be a good team and have a weak schedule.

Is the BigXII stacked this year? no, but top to bottom it is a tougher schedule than what TOE faces. There is no doubt TOE, TCU, OSU, and Tex on the road are all tougher games and environments than TOE faces on their schedule while ranked WVU and Tech (likely ranked at 5-2 by then) at home are tough matchups.

One correction, the PSU game is in Happy Valley. That being said I think you make a lot of solid, reasoned points.

A lot of years I think the Big 12 has been stronger but I don't know about this one. The problem this year is the Big 12 doesn't have one signature win OOC. The best win is Texas over USC probably but USC could end up with 3 losses or more. I hope OU or UT win out so there is a 1 loss Big 12 team that hopefully could get into he playoffs(probably need ND to lose), that is of course unless ISU runs the table and is the other team in the CCG then I am ok with the Big 12 not getting a playoff team.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
So, why is this thread the way it is? Honest question from a Hawk fan.......

Strength of schedule, yes ISU has a harder schedule this year, yes Iowa lost to Wisconsin when it looked like they had it in a bag, yes ISU got man handled by Iowa and only got 3 pts, yes Iowa plays a soft schedule but that really is not their fault. PSU and NW along with Purdue will be hard outs for Iowa.

In the end I think strength of schedule matters when 1, you win and are ranked, not 3-3, and 2 when you are comparing teams at the end of the year if they did not play head to head. That is just my 2 cents. ISU is a good team but not great. WVU is ranked 13 now, Oklahoma and Iowa are ranked and ISU lost to them. WVU is a good team but I would not consider them Oklahoma last year for ISU. Oklahoma State is the NW or Michigan St of the big 12. Texas barely beat Baylor and is ranked 7th. I can see ISU getting to the conference championship with a 9-3 or 8-4 record.

For the record, I think ISU is a really good team that has emerged as a school on par with performances like Iowa has every year. I can see them at 7-5 and the fans being really happy with it. And their is nothing wrong with it. Strength of schedule, get outta here clones do better than that.

Good luck and keep winning from a rational Hawk fan

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
A lot of years I think the Big 12 has been stronger but I don't know about this one. The problem this year is the Big 12 doesn't have one signature win OOC. The best win is Texas over USC probably but USC could end up with 3 losses or more. I hope OU or UT win out so there is a 1 loss Big 12 team that hopefully could get into he playoffs(probably need ND to lose), that is of course unless ISU runs the table and is the other team in the CCG then I am ok with the Big 12 not getting a playoff team.

What are the Big Ten's signature wins?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

Strength of schedule, yes ISU has a harder schedule this year, yes Iowa lost to Wisconsin when it looked like they had it in a bag, yes ISU got man handled by Iowa and only got 3 pts, yes Iowa plays a soft schedule but that really is not their fault. PSU and NW along with Purdue will be hard outs for Iowa.

In the end I think strength of schedule matters when 1, you win and are ranked, not 3-3, and 2 when you are comparing teams at the end of the year if they did not play head to head. That is just my 2 cents. ISU is a good team but not great. WVU is ranked 13 now, Oklahoma and Iowa are ranked and ISU lost to them. WVU is a good team but I would not consider them Oklahoma last year for ISU. Oklahoma State is the NW or Michigan St of the big 12. Texas barely beat Baylor and is ranked 7th. I can see ISU getting to the conference championship with a 9-3 or 8-4 record.

For the record, I think ISU is a really good team that has emerged as a school on par with performances like Iowa has every year. I can see them at 7-5 and the fans being really happy with it. And their is nothing wrong with it. Strength of schedule, get outta here clones do better than that.

Thanks for the backhanded compliments.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Thanks for the backhanded compliments.

Sorry, but as I truly do root for success with Iowa the most, I also want ISU to be good and compete. All things ISU hates about Iowa is because they would trade in a heartbeat to have Iowa's past successes. Trending forward it is anyone's guess how things will play out and that at least makes things more exciting. The game is not a survive and win or suffer the backlash for Iowa anymore. Which I think is pretty awesome.

• Disagree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Sorry, but as I truly do root for success with Iowa the most, I also want ISU to be good and compete. All things ISU hates about Iowa is because they would trade in a heartbeat to have Iowa's past successes. Trending forward it is anyone's guess how things will play out and that at least makes things more exciting. The game is not a survive and win or suffer the backlash for Iowa anymore. Which I think is pretty awesome.

You clearly don't understand what Iowa State hates about Iowa.

Last edited:

CubsClones1

Nov 12, 2012
Prairie City

This is where Hawk fans are delusional, thinking ISU fans "hate" Iowa football because of their past success. ISU fans hate Iowa because their fans are sooooooo hung up on Iowa's past success that they refuse to see KF's and Iowa's utter mediocrity over the past 10 years. Meanwhile you've got ISU fans enjoying the present and very optimistically looking forward to the future of ISU under Matt Campbell and co.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

giphy.webp

• Winner
Reactions: CycoCyclone

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

You answered your own question a bunch of times in your own post. A lot of preachy hawkness in this thread letting us know how awesome they are and why we should just love their team.

giphy.gif

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
This is where Hawk fans are delusional, thinking ISU fans "hate" Iowa football because of their past success. ISU fans hate Iowa because their fans are sooooooo hung up on Iowa's past success that they refuse to see KF's and Iowa's utter mediocrity over the past 10 years. Meanwhile you've got ISU fans enjoying the present and very optimistically looking forward to the future of ISU under Matt Campbell and co.

ISU should be ecstatic about Matt Campbell's future at ISU but its a little silly to define KF as utterly mediocre the last 10 years. Iowa has 8 or more wins 8 of those years, and a 11 and a 12 win season in that time frame. If that happens for ISU the fans won't call it utterly mediocre they will think of that era as the glory years and Campbell will get a statue in front of the stadium. I wouldn't even criticize those responses but don't be so disingenuous.

• Agree
Reactions: ThriceHawk

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
ISU should be ecstatic about Matt Campbell's future at ISU but its a little silly to define KF as utterly mediocre the last 10 years. Iowa has 8 or more wins 8 of those years, and a 11 and a 12 win season in that time frame. If that happens for ISU the fans won't call it utterly mediocre they will think of that era as the glory years and Campbell will get a statue in front of the stadium. I wouldn't even criticize those responses but don't be so disingenuous.

Iowa has one top 25 finish in those 8 years. If CMC has one top 25 finish in 8 years I'm not thinking anyone will be building a statue

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Honestly I like ISU, but lets not pretend they are better than Iowa by saying well we would win 10 games with that schedule every year with Matt Campbell. At least that is how some fans sound on this thread and this board. ISU is fun to watch and deserves to be competative, that said, ISU is not enjoying the same success as Iowa this year. But it is not because of the schedule. It is also early on in the year. Iowa could go 8-4 and so could ISU, but who would be considered the better team? That is basically the same argument as last year. Strength of schedule is dumb considering ISU lost to 2 now top 20 teams.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010

Iowa has one top 25 finish in those 8 years. If CMC has one top 25 finish in 8 years I'm not thinking anyone will be building a statue

Actually that would 3 top 25, #20 in 2008, #7 in 2009, & 9 or 10 in 2015. Not to mention 3 #8 finishes in 2002-2004.

I bet that would get a statue at ISU and it should.

• Agree
Reactions: ThriceHawk

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Actually that would 3 top 25, #20 in 2008, #7 in 2009, & 9 or 10 in 2015. Not to mention 3 #8 finishes in 2002-2004.

I bet that would get a statue at ISU and it should.

I thought you were just talking about the last 8 years. My bad. I agree, Kirk used to be a hell of a coach in the 2000's though

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I can't speak for all other ISU fans but many who grew up during the Iowa football dominance in the heart of hawk country hate the hawks because of hawk fan arrogance. I was derided for being a Cyclone growing up and any success Iowa State had in other sports was brushed aside by the hawks around me. When ISU came back and "made a game of it" so to speak, the iowa fans around me were living in the past and more arrogant than ever. I hate the hawkeyes because I just want the hawk fans to shut up for a change.

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
One correction, the PSU game is in Happy Valley. That being said I think you make a lot of solid, reasoned points.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, my initial comment noted that. I think that is the toughest environment on either ISU or TOE schedules this year. I would honestly put @ Kinnick as the next toughest road game on either schedule but think it's comparable to @UT. For TOE, the rest of their road games are non-intimidating environments (MN, UI, Pur, IL). Also TOE fans will travel well to those places due to there proximity to IA or Chicago and help fill the stadium so not much of a road test.

I know Big12 stadiums are not massive like SEC and B1G but teams like OSU, KSU and TECH still fill their stadiums and their fans believe they will and should win. BU, KU, and TCU are the only stadiums that lack much for environment. the same can not be said of most of the Big10 West.

TOE fans should not try to defend their schedule, they should defend their team. Unlike their schedule, its not garbage.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.

you should pick another name given the transitive, relativistic screed you just typed.